Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At lunch I went passed by an older church (1930's or 40's?) on a side road. The large oaks and overgrown play area out back really intrigued me. There was also an old abandoned farm at the end of that dead end road right next to the church property. Possible future hunting spot?
There was no one at the church except a van driver for the church, who was just leaving. I told him about my hobby, and he gave me the "go ahead".
As soon as I stepped into the grassy sand area, I had my first hit. It was the scout neck tie piece pictured. Then clad, clad, and more clad. Right next to the slide, I dug up the two gold pins within about 10" from each other. I saw GOLD, and got a big smile on my face. Unfortunately, neither one is real gold. :'(
The one pin looks like it has a jester on it possibly?
Outside of the play area, I dug a few coins up by some large oaks. I didn't realize that I had dug a few older coins until I got back to work and brushed them off a bit. Although not real old, they are a good sign that there is more to be had. Hopefully silver! The two coins are a 1942 wheat and a 1962 nickel.
A lot of fun for one hour at least. ;D
Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• 6261.JPG
    6261.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 525
  • 6262.JPG
    6262.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 519
  • 6263.JPG
    6263.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 519
  • 6264.JPG
    6264.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 520
Upvote 0

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Way to go! I found one of thos elf or Brownie things too. I think they are from the girls Brownies. Great finds.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Terrific finds. I hope the van driver remembers telling you OK...in case the real honcho's show up. You should try to find out who owns the farm before you hit that. Seems like a couple weeks ago someone got hit for trespass because they just went ahead and went in.

R

RUDY2003

Nice diggs Miner!
Gold pins would make my heart leap too...

Keep safe...

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prober said:
Terrific finds. I hope the van driver remembers telling you OK...in case the real honcho's show up. You should try to find out who owns the farm before you hit that. Seems like a couple weeks ago someone got hit for trespass because they just went ahead and went in.

Prober,
Were you referring to the "real honcho" God? If he shows up, I'll know it's my lucky day. :-)
As far as permission on the farm, that's a given. I'm not into jail food or same sex lovers. ::)
I remember that post you are referring to. That should have scared the crap out of anyone thinking about trespassing.
Thanks,
MM

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piggman1 said:
Way to go! I found one of those elf or Brownie things too. I think they are from the girls Brownies. Great finds.

Piggman1,
A Brownie piece makes sense, since I found that boy scout piece too.
Thanks,
MM

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
WTG, I agree, That is a Brownie or Girlscout pin. I remember my sister wearing them when I was chasing her around when we were kids LOL ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds...I remember wearing that girlscout brownie pin called the "trefoil" back in the 70's when we wore the brown uniform with the beanie hat. You also found a Daisy girl scout pin. I'm not sure that the Daisy girl scouts are still around, but they were younger than brownies and wore a blue uniform.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
artemis moon said:
Great finds...I remember wearing that girlscout brownie pin called the "trefoil" back in the 70's when we wore the brown uniform with the beanie hat. You also found a Daisy girl scout pin. I'm not sure that the Daisy girl scouts are still around, but they were younger than brownies and wore a blue uniform.

Thanks very much for that info. At least I can label these items now.
So I found a Boy Scout piece, a Brownie piece, and a Daisy Girl piece all in the same church sandbox. There must have been a rumble in there? :o ;D
Thanks,
MM

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one you found looks to be in better condition.

I have found two of them not as nice as yours. I almost threw them away thinking they were part of a dogs collar. It will be interesting to see how much the one on E-Bay sells for.

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there. I'll have to think about asking at the old churches around here. Don't want to have to become a member though. :)

I found one recently as well, but think/thought it was modern. Mine has a lion and lion club with an orange background instead of blue. Anybody know the age of those?

HH.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I believe due to the close proximety of those pin finds you likley found Ground Zero of the place that a cub scout became a boy scout, (if you dont know the punchline of that old joke I'm not telling ;D)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TEXAN Connection said:
I believe due to the close proximety of those pin finds you likley found Ground Zero of the place that a cub scout became a boy scout, (if you dont know the punchline of that old joke I'm not telling ;D)

You Sir, are a sick man!
We like it!!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread