Large Cents and Nice Batwing From Cornfield

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One day my 81 year old neighbor saw me detecting around a cellar hole that I located on my 1866 Biers map that I got permission to hunt. He tracked me down last week and said "you know the original house was in the far field behind this one". I went back to my map and sure enough there was a house indicated that I completely missed. It took me a couple of trips but I finally located where the house was in the middle of a huge cornfield (now cut and not yet replanted). I saw bits of broken glass, crockery and bricks that helped me pinpoint the site. On my first hunt the second target I dug was a nice batwing buckle. I also dug an undatable Coronet LC and a small horse tack buckle. I went back 2 days later and dug a draped bust LC. I can't quite make out the last digit in the date but think it might be an '02. I also found 2 small and one large flat button. One of the small buttons has a full loop and is back marked "Treble Gilt W. Hardy & Co." One of the clearest backmarks I've found. I hope to get back to the field before it gets planted, which will be soon. Thanks for looking. 009.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG 010.JPG

Upvote 21

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lovely stuff, thanks for sharing it. That larger buckle is superb. Would enjoy seeing the front if you have the inclination. Cheers

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your great relic finds and thanks for sharing your pictures and story with all of us. When you get back to this location please keep us posted of your new finds.

Texas ED

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I bet there is more good ones at that spot

OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lovely stuff, thanks for sharing it. That larger buckle is superb. Would enjoy seeing the front if you have the inclination. Cheers

Thanks Z.K. That is the front of the buckle as shown. That is my fifth batwing and I believe the oldest so far. I love finding the old coppers but it drives me crazy when I can't get dates off of them. Oh well at least I found them.

OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your great relic finds and thanks for sharing your pictures and story with all of us. When you get back to this location please keep us posted of your new finds.

Texas ED

Thanks Ed. Hopefully there will be a few more keepers under those cut cornstalks.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds you made, that's a sweet buckle

OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love those batwing buckles. Always nice when one of those shows up. Large coppers just make the hunt that much more sweet. Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story and very cool finds! :occasion14:

FlightRisk

Apr 13, 2016
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro,ACE 250 w/5x8 DD, Pro Prointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds...wierd, I found a 1822 Coronet cent today too!

Last edited:

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some excellent finds! Can't wait to see what else comes out of that field. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all for your kind comments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions