Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy folks. Got out on another hot day here in Ohio. Went to a newer school that might hold some silver. There was also an older home right next to it that is no longer there. Let me tell you, the site was hard. The ground was like concrete. Compacted clay mix. The grass roots were like cutting into some sort of fabric. And to top it off, I didn't find much.

I was really tired after and headed back home. On my way, I was passing a place my buddy owns. I have hunted there with 3 other detectors and largely been skunked. It has a ton of iron and trash. Well, I decided to hit it and am glad I did. My third target was the seated quarter. Had a super sweet high squeak, but was surrounded by iron. Once I got it out of the ground, it was obvious it was sitting under a lot of iron. See the iron spot near the date.

Wouldn't you know it, when I went to dig my edge of the hole, a smooth, angled rock guided my digger right to the back of the coin. I was so mad. I am super careful on my cuts - RRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH :censored:

Once I figured out what I had I was even more mad - but super stoked to get my first seated quarter. Gosh, what a rush.

I picked up the silver ring near the back of the property - again among trash. Also got a suspender buckle, but forgot to get a pic.

IMG_1293.JPG IMG_1294.JPG IMG_1296.JPG

Upvote 12

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic seated quarter & a gorgeous ring- congrats on your finds & thanks for sharing your pictures and story with all of us. I wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
If it makes you feel any better I scraped the rim of a high grade capped bust dime a couple years ago. I may have said a few swears (and still do). Congrats on the seated though!

OP
OP
Metal Magnet

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it makes you feel any better I scraped the rim of a high grade capped bust dime a couple years ago. I may have said a few swears (and still do). Congrats on the seated though!

oh gosh, yeah, that would not make me happy. I could see the scratch and thought I may have a capped - I felt sick when I turned it over, lol

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Seated quarter!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Unfortunately gouging a coin happens to all. Nice seated anyway. Congrats

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really nice coin. Light scratches not that bad and it's not in a bad place and it certainly would not stop me from being happy about that coin

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice old coin. Congrats on that and the silver ring.

And yeah, we've all scratched a coin or two. Sometimes no matter how careful you are it can still happen. at least you found it and were able to take it home.
Just wait a few years and let it tarnish up a little. Then you can tell everybody it was scratched long before you ever found it.
Or not....

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful seated quarter find, Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread