Update from Yesterdays Post...something VERY interesting that made me VERY happy!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update from Yesterday's Post...something VERY interesting that made me VERY happy!

So yesterday while I posted my finds, I eluded to the silver trade item. Over the last few hours I've had a few folks contact me with interesting news. I suspected that it was a early trade tinkler or perhaps earring. But check these out. The silver one is my find, the bronze ones are roman and the gold is Byzantine...it appears that this is a fairly early and crude design. It is not uncommon for roman items to surface at 1600 sites here in the states (they were collectors among them as well). Not saying that it is for sure Roman, but certainly at least know it is in the style with early earrings. This summer is starting out interesting with the colonial rings and now this.

[UPDATE] Muddyhandz down below had ID'd it as an early native american ear-bob (earring). Guess I was right when I first said trade silver. glad to put a final year or date range on this one (1650s-1700s).

Either way, I am more tickled with this find now than even before.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 1p.JPG
    1p.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Byring2.jpg
    Byring2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 171
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Bring.jpg
    Bring.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Upvote 24

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your research Dan, nice to see it's paid off with an I.D. of your relic! :occasion14:

Dave

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Very unique and interesting find - especially from a early colonial US site. Did you find this the same site that you dug the two silver rings? If so you never know what else might turn up at that site It would seem that the inhabitants of the site were definitely into jewelry. Congrats!

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's amazing! Not real purty, but very awesome! Congratulations!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing! Wouldn't that be Banner worthy?

Thats up to the folks that vote and the folks that choose. It certainly is in the list of one of my better finds for the season thus far.

Thanks for the thought though!

Dan

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooooh... It's ROMAN! Woot!

I would not say 100% Roman as I am sure that style continued into the 15th and 16th centuries, but I have been unable to locate an example more modern than the roman/Byz eras thus far. Either way it is early and cool.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding your first 18th century silver ear-bob that was probably lost by a Native at your site.
I have found several at fur trade sites dating from at least the late 1700's or earlier.
A lot of silver trade items were based on old designs....like trade brooches that were just like the ancient Scottish clan brooches.
The two hands holding the heart, double-barred crosses resembling the medieval designs, etc.
Your earring is a typical trade silver "Ear-bob."
Nice find! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding your first 18th century silver ear-bob that was probably lost by a Native at your site.
I have found several at fur trade sites dating from at least the late 1700's or earlier.
A lot of silver trade items were based on old designs....like trade brooches that were just like the ancient Scottish clan brooches.
The two hands holding the heart, double-barred crosses resembling the medieval designs, etc.
Your earring is a typical trade silver "Ear-bob."
Nice find! :thumbsup:

Thanks man - that makes much more sense and after looking at some examples online (ear-bob was most helpful) I see the design and you are correct they do look just like the earlier ones. Guess I was correct when i first posted that it was a silver trade piece ha ha.

Thanks for the help.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fantastic find. First one of those I've seen dug--and I bet they are more scarce in silver than in brass. Just killer.

Congrats,

Buck

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting and cool find! Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions