Great memorial weekend finds.... Indian wars military

jagdpolizei

Nov 26, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out this weekend and found all these in one day...... Then I had this realization of Memorial Day on Monday.... These soldiers were stationed far from home in the wild frontier of Montana Territory. Finding these items is like pulling a time capsule from the ground. Then it image.jpeg image.jpeg made me think about our brave Americans in foreign hostile lands as I went about enjoying the day. Thanks to all and GOD bless this great country

Upvote 13

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs! I admit I don't know a lot about ammunition and the like, but you've peaked my interest in looking at all my shell casings and bullets again.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the historic artifacts!

OP
OP
J

jagdpolizei

Nov 26, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We've been finding .54 cal Miss. Rifle three ring minies as well.... I know a lot of ex- confederate soldiers came to Montana after the CW and brought thier front loaders with them. I read that these pinfire shotguns were favored by the south during the CW..??..
I know that the Fort Shaw post trader, Phil Manix, for one, was confederate who came out this way.....
My imagination runs wild trying to make sense or a context

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is quite an impressive haul for one day! I'm seeing both rim and center fire cartridges. As veteran, I appreciate your reflections on Memorial Day. I wish you continued happy hunting!

AaronN322

Mar 1, 2011
Canton, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what your pinfire could've looked like back before it was fired and left in the ground.

eley.jpg

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some cool relics from US history! :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

jagdpolizei

Nov 26, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is quite an impressive haul for one day! I'm seeing both rim and center fire cartridges. As veteran, I appreciate your reflections on Memorial Day. I wish you continued happy hunting!

Thanks Tommy G for the feedback And especially for your service!!!

metaldetkid

Apr 15, 2016
Fayetteville NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, and AT Pro, Ace 400
PINPOINTER: Garrett propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great spot. Surprised you didn't find any personal items, but great hunt none the less

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That hunt produced some really cool artifacts!

OP
OP
J

jagdpolizei

Nov 26, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow great spot. Surprised you didn't find any personal items, but great hunt none the less

Previous days out have turned up uniform buttons and suspender and govt issue pant buckles from the IW period. I even found a rear pant adjustment buckle Initialed to a company which is documented as the provider to the us military in 1885... That wAs cool. I even found a finger ring, bronze copper or brass, and think it may be a trade ring.
My goal is a hat device/letter , buckle, box plate or breast plate.
All the items I am finding are along the river away from the fort, clearly while these guys were foraging for food. The bison, as well as lots of deer (still today), are well documented in the entire area in the mid 1870s, so I imagine that these were the main target of all this shooting..... Henry/1866 win rim fire cases, 50-70, 45-70, both type Spencer's, and diff cal CW minies all in same area..... Too cool!
I am addicted to this

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread