Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Memorial Day, I went into the drink for the first 2016 water hunt. I located a spot at low tide that produced 11 or 12 Quarters. Some of my fellow water hunters call this concentration of targets of the same weight and size,, a Vortex. I made a mental note of landmarks with hopes of being able to relocate this spot in future hunts. Yesterday I returned to the bay that we call Penny Beach. I found the area of water by trying to triangulate the landmarks.
Sure enough, Mother Nature's little piggy bank started to give up more quarters. There were a few nickels and dimes in the vicinity, but no pennies.
The pennies seem to be concentrated in the northern end of the beach. Among the pennies, I found a few hoop earrings, which tells me not to ignore that area in future hunts. You never know, one of those hoop earrings could end up being gold.
Now that I have had 2 successful hunts in this quarter vortex, I will continue to revisit this spot to see how often Mother Nature refills it.

IMG_4290.JPG IMG_4289.JPG

IMG_4288.JPG IMG_4287.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 15

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool stuff, never heard of the vortex before. I know whenever I hunt shark teeth down in Md. one year a certain beach will be loaded with them and the next year zip.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice hunt. never tried water hunting yet, hope to give it a shot one of these days. You didn't mention anything about the ring or the stone?

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice hunt. never tried water hunting yet, hope to give it a shot one of these days. You didn't mention anything about the ring or the stone?

The ring is costume jewelry but was in the vortex and rang in like a quarter. I was using my Excalibur.
The stone is actually a piece of glass that looked pretty polished when I took it out of my scoop.
I have some friends who dive and suppliment their income by pulling gold out of the surf.
They have shared a few tricks with me. An easy read by Andy Sabisch is "Advanced Water Working Techniques "
Anything I can help with, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your getting me excited about huunting up along lake Erie with my Aquanaut. Congrats on getting wet ATW and pulling all of those targets. Hope that Vortex keeps paying off.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your getting me excited about huunting up along lake Erie with my Aquanaut. Congrats on getting wet ATW and pulling all of those targets. Hope that Vortex keeps paying off.

I hunted a few park beaches alongside Lake Erie. The strangest thing was can tops and bottoms. Like tuna fish cans. I felt like maybe there was a cannery close to where I was hunting. It was explained to me by people who know the history of the shoreline. People would have bonfires on the shore and the cans from the food they brought would eventually end up in the water.
I got bounced around a little from the fresh water tides. That was surprising.
Good luck with the decision to hunt in the water. Fresh water lakes are easier to hunt than salt water beaches. IMHO

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ring is costume jewelry but was in the vortex and rang in like a quarter. I was using my Excalibur.
The stone is actually a piece of glass that looked pretty polished when I took it out of my scoop.
I have some friends who dive and suppliment their income by pulling gold out of the surf.
They have shared a few tricks with me. An easy read by Andy Sabisch is "Advanced Water Working Techniques "
Anything I can help with, feel free to ask.

Shame, I thought it was Amber for a minute.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted a few park beaches alongside Lake Erie. The strangest thing was can tops and bottoms. Like tuna fish cans. I felt like maybe there was a cannery close to where I was hunting. It was explained to me by people who know the history of the shoreline. People would have bonfires on the shore and the cans from the food they brought would eventually end up in the water.
I got bounced around a little from the fresh water tides. That was surprising.
Good luck with the decision to hunt in the water. Fresh water lakes are easier to hunt than salt water beaches. IMHO

The lakes typically are not effected by currents, tides and ever changing sands from waves. Also the salt water and high mineralization helps make lakes much more huntable.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work, I always found in my water spots the older stuff much deeper after clearing all the clad first. Those hot spots will remain, stay in the vortex unless some storm comes along and changes everything.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrarts on finding a natural piggy bank! Nice amount of clad! Nice ring too.

On my machine, m6, if something registers in the coin range there is a chance its silver, depending on how high the numbers go and whats in the ground with the item.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lakes typically are not effected by currents, tides and ever changing sands from waves. Also the salt water and high mineralization helps make lakes much more huntable.

The Great Lakes have a high water and low water mark along the shore line. When I was in Lake Erie, I got moved around quite a bit. However, when hunting smaller spring fed lakes like Greenwood Lake up in Orange County, there was no tidal effect or movement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions