Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner has a had rough go of it lately with the bees last week he got into the bald face hornets the ones with the big grey cone nest and they tore him up. Well today we were trying to open up a new site and he got a signal and low and behold there was a yellow jacket nest where the target was he said he saw bees flying out the hole but it was to late by then they blasted him. Both times we had to fish his detector away from the bees with a long stick. BTW I found a thimble and he found 2 buttons. Then we almost got into another nest the one the tree picture. He said the hornets were way worse than the yellow jackets. The hornets also got to keep a 60.00 lesh shovel well at least till the cold weather arrives he marked the spot on his gps. I might get the nest when we go back in the winter. DSCN1062.JPG DSCN1063.JPG DSCN1064.JPG DSCN1065.JPG DSCN1066.JPG

Upvote 8

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out in the woods and caught a buzz, huh ?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a good thing you both are not allergic to the stings. That would get real bad, real fast!

And i thought having a target under an ant hill was bad.

I hope you don't run into a hive of the killer bees.

Be safe guys!

Nice recoveries!

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
knock on wood I havent been stung im not allergic but I think it would be wise if all of us who relic hunt in the woods got some benedryl and put it in our packs.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that's some tough hunting! Good luck on recovering shovel!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
knock on wood I havent been stung im not allergic but I think it would be wise if all of us who relic hunt in the woods got some benedryl and put it in our packs.

I carry some at all times.

Not due to the wild life, but an unidentified chemical (they think!) just floating in the air one beautiful summer's morn...ended up in the ER with an anaphyactoid reaction. But i did have some Benydril on me! Life savior!
Epi-pen is to temp sensitive.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got stung this week by a nest of underground bees (yellow jackets probably). Had me running like a scared person, and then, like you, had to go back and fish my bee covered Pinpointer out from near their hole.

Today, while hunting in the forest, I almost swung my detector right into a volleyball sized next right on the forest floor. I just backed off, and the bees stayed in their nest.

That time of year I suppose.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remind me to never go digging with ya'll. :tongue3: The shovel can be replaced, but ya'lls health is way more important. Congrats on at least pulling that thimble and getting out with your lives. :occasion14: I bet that would have made one heck of a video :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I would have had my go pro on! he would have NEVER let me post .

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Getting multiple stings twice in two weeks can be rough on you. Were I him I'd take a week off of digging just to give myself time to get over the aftermath, but then again I'm mildly allergic to them anyway. Next time you two go out hunting make sure to carry some Benadryl if nothing else. Can make a big difference if a reaction sets in out in the middle of nowhere.

That said, not a bad looking thimble. A video of the adventure would have been great, but you can't have everything.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing he isnt allergic to them, or that could have been his last hunt. A good friend of mine was stung by a single bee and died, because he did not have his epi pen with him at the time. He was in his own back yard when it happened.

excav

Jul 16, 2011
northwest coast of ohio
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A man I worked with got stung so many times over the years he became allergic and then it was off to the hospital every time he got bit. They would give him a shot and he would be done for the rest of the day.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats sad about your friend ,one bee man thats crazy.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh man - there's nothing angrier (that you can't marry) than a bald faced hornet nest. Had one on my porch last year. I dressed up like a cold ninja - thick black pants, sweatshirt with a hood and safety glasses, waited til 10PM and nailed em with the spray. They kept pouring out for a half hour. I hate bees.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those giant hornets from that article will probably get here eventually on a ship. If that happens I'm detecting Dec-Feb only!

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guess who got it today? ME! YELLOW JACKETS MAN WHAT ROTTEN LUCK.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We call yellow jackets - wasps. They sting more readily than bees as our bees die when the sting. Got hit by one on the neck & finger whilst detecting, not sure I would mess with a bunch of them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread