Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Naval Officers Buckle 1850's - Rare AMES mfg. variety

I got out for a quick jaunt this afternoon. The new location I found was a house that had the exterior modified, but surely dated pre-1840's. It had been abandoned and literally had 2-3' weeds, and was almost undetectable. Almost...

First signal was this killer buckle tongue.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521781.461153.jpg I searched for a half hour for the other half but no luck. I couldn't get the coil close to the ground for smaller target, so all I caught after that was big targets.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521882.355277.jpg

After some cleaning...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521902.690366.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521924.876568.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521934.046530.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521945.672136.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521959.627424.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465522064.296581.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465522083.139751.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465522104.824840.jpg

What I believe I have is an Ames Mfg. Co. Navy buckle 1851-1862. This early variety has two stars by the anchor. Some of the gold gilting remains, but I didn't want to over clean it. It's definitely one of my favorite buckle finds ever

My take for the hour ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465522113.905205.jpg

Enjoy.

Just a little updated pic - first one in sunlight;)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465592486.846533.jpg

I love it!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 68
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ames_Manufacturing_Company
is it naval or could it be marine?
Ames made ceremonial swords I know and made others too
is this yours -couple pics down
Civil War Antiques

I did not know they made buckles - know they made cannon - guns and swords for CW
I personally found the biggest lock you've ever seen - all brass - think it was for a rail car - it was marked Ames 1864
but don't think ive seen a buckle by them - if I can find any info - will certainly pass along
once again
View attachment 1323793

I haven't see one listed yet as marine, just Navy. The pic you pointed out is the same type of buckle, but with no stars by the anchor, making it the more common variety from the late 1850's/early 1860's. But again, I'm not well versed with these types of things so any info you find would certainly help.

I suppose with the tooling and machines Ames had on hand that they likely produced a lot of products. Im going to read a by more into their history but that company has quite a history it seems

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a stellar find. I would love to find a tongue and wreath someday. Looks like you're going to have a super spot when the weeds die out.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot to mention, that I have seen many CS, USA plates, so many I'm nearly sick of, but this is the first I recall of this type in my 9 years here, and for that I call banner.

It's also good you got so much gold left on it.
Great find Steve , perhaps your best yet ?

Hey thanks for the Banner nod Rick. As far as best relic find goes...yes, it may even beat out my revolutionary war stirrup and GW buttons. Lol

I can say that I would also love to find anything CS. But up here in Northern NJ my chances are slim. Someone in the south could say the same for this Navy buckle. It's all relative I suppose

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Confederate belt buckles are pretty rare around here Rick and definitely banner worthy to those of those that have found them. One man's' trash is another ones' treasure I guess. Anyway like I said,ya done good Scrappy.

Thanks Coily! I remember being wicked jealous when I first saw your buckle post.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an exquisite buckle Scrappy. I also haven't seen one like that. Even without the wreath I agree it's a banner find. Putting in a vote for you.

Thanks for the Vote J!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations Scrappy. That is one heck of a find right there. Amazing how it cleaned up so nice too...wtg....Banner!

Haha! Thx for the banner vote. I didn't expect any when I posted!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome. I know If anyone could find the other half it would be you. Good luck! [emoji2]

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love how the information came together on this one! You have my Banner vote

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man oh man we can only hope to dig a buckle that nice! Wow what a great find

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just realized I forgot to "add" more to this find / thread.

First I will start by saying... This is a Banner find.

Beings I am not a CW guy per say I looked at your item Scrappy and knew it was a great find BUT... kinda skimmed it I must admit.
Which was a mistake.

Beings I AM a "ship" guy I liked the buckle so I posted and moved on...
Then... last night I remembered the buckle and also remembered something else...
There were types of eagle faces.

This being said... My opinion of your find has changed from a "really great find" to a "stellar find".
Beings... your buckle has the right facing eagle. (which I forgot all about upon seeing your find)...
Which if I remember correctly would place your buckles age at PRE 1830. (?)
And would have been reserved / used by Master commandment and lieutenants.

IF this is correct... and I poked a little online with not any real consequence this elevates your find above any others of its type.

Again...
Well done and congrats.

ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh... btw way... James C. Tily wrote a great Navel reference entitled " The Uniforms Of The United States Navy"... that would / should interest you on this.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to get off topic, but I know of at least two people who have at least a half dozen CS plates each, so regardless like GW buttons are not rare,...to the banner... this item... first one I've seen IS !

Whether or not it makes it up there makes little difference, you know (and I know) it is a banner find.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure where to rank something like this, but will say grouping a CS plate with a U.S. plate is a mistake, and before this thread is done I'll bet you'll hear that a few times. :) Considering how many people hunt CW relics it probably makes sense we see them on the banner on a regular basis... but they are in many cases finds of a lifetime, U.S. plates are not, at least for the most part. I would guess the Naval buckles aren't dug as much simply because they were mostly on ships, and I wouldn't be surprised less in numbers. But I'm still pretty sure most CW hunters are taking a CS plate way before a Union Navy buckle.... unless it's one special buckle... which maybe this one is... I don't know enough about them to say.

Well it wouldn't be the first mistake I've made, and I'm big enough to admit making mistakes, but there are a couple people who have a half dozen of them.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet find Scrapster i have not seen many if any of this variety..I am voting banner also.Nice gilt on there too,
One thing i have noticed is many people find the other piece just go back again and again it's how i found my missing piece of the Liberty buckle..

~Blaze

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent navy buckle. They are not dug at CW camps or skirmish sites often because they were naval and fought on water. Simple explanation. Terrific find!!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an amazing find . Never give up on the other half

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it wouldn't be the first mistake I've made, and I'm big enough to admit making mistakes, but there are a couple people who have a half dozen of them.

No doubt, but just because something is rare to dig, and we don't see many, or any, posted, does not necessarily make it better. I'm sort of with you on the most common of the GW buttons... they are overrated in my opinion. But I do not feel that way on the CS plates as they are much more historical pieces actually being on a Confederate Civil War soldier uniform. And just for the record, I probably would have been just as happy finding Scrappy's buckle as I would a GW button or a CS plate because it would be very unexpected... and when you're extremely fired up over a find, you're just fired up! :thumbsup:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like your updated photo in the opening post. It really highlights the honest wear of the person who wore it and lost it. With the high points of the eagle being worn as they are, it was probably worn by the sailor long after his service. Once again, an awesome find!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bumping this stellar find to the top again for others to see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions