🥇 BANNER "Sheet Iron" CS Plate found this weekend!

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Boy what a weekend! This place I located is a virgin Confederate cavalry camp I found and have been detecting for a year now. I've found some really nice things there, but this takes the cake. It was super hot and I was digging all iron readings, cause I love iron artifacts. I had dug into a hole and pulled out a piece of a rusted knife, then took my pinpointer and located a second piece. For a third time I took my pinpointer and said to myself, "Hmm...this must be the last piece of that knife." Then, with my shovel, this oval popped out and when I turned it over "CS" was staring back at me. This is a "sheet iron" Confederate States belt plate and has a rarity of 8 out of a 10, a 10 being the rarest Confederate plates. I was so excited all I could do(after calling my bro first) was finish checking the hole it was in. Well half a Richmond spur, a complete bone-handled fork and a pewter spoon bowl was beneath this plate. Can't want to get back and dig that out better now. Thanks for looking! Here's a link with more information that I had posted, but is buried in the posts : Artifacts For Sale

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 355
  • Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    778.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Picture 062.jpg
    Picture 062.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Upvote 57

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful find! I've never found a single CW relic. Would love to but where I'm at in NC there would be none to be found. Give me a shout if you'd like some help with that place.

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unbelievable find. im voting banner.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a nice collection out of one hole! Congrats!

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just a great find...nicely done all the way around.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy what a weekend! This place I located is a virgin Confederate cavalry camp I found and have been detecting for a year now. I've found some really nice things there, but this takes the cake. It was super hot and I was digging all iron readings, cause I love iron artifacts. I had dug into a hole and pulled out a piece of a rusted knife, then took my pinpointer and located a second piece. For a third time I took my pinpointer and said to myself, "Hmm...this must be the last piece of that knife." Then, with my shovel, this oval popped out and when I turned it over "CS" was staring back at me. This is a "sheet iron" Confederate States belt plate and has a rarity of 8 out of a 10, a 10 being the rarest Confederate plates. I was so excited all I could do(after calling my bro first) was finish checking the hole it was in. Well half a Richmond spur, a complete bone-handled fork and a pewter spoon bowl was beneath this plate. Can't want to get back and dig that out better now. Thanks for looking!

Way to go Man!
Ill bet it will clean up nice, if you clean at all but you have to stop that Rust NOW!

I think Electrolysis & a Coat of yr favorite 'Sealer' & That thing will come out Beautiful & IMO the Pitting will give it Character .
Banner Vote In.

p.s. Would love to see all the Relics you got from that site in the past year.
Davers

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I did electrolysis I would sit with it and if in doubt stop and neutralize the metal.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't believe this isn't BANNER yet? Good GRAVY man, what a find. Just wow.

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't know how to respond to individual posts, but just wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments. :)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Banner! Post a pic after it is cleaned and preserved

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016