Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

We decided to get out and do some digging, so Shang and I hit the fields for some long days in the heat. The good news is that we got some great finds, including over 6500 acres of new permissions, bringing our total permissions in several different areas of the state to around 52,000 acres. :headbang:

Here's a video of the hunt:

We hit the fields early, and Shang dug a musket sling hook, which is a great find. He also got some other decent bits, including buttons and a nice pocket watch winder. I was very pleased to flip out a tiny silver late in the day. It was an 1853 Seated Half Dime! :thumbsup:

204_1200.JPG 204_1206.JPG

We were wore out by the 95 degree (feels like 100) heat, so we called it a day, to come and dig again the next day. Started at 5:30am and got out there for a 14 hour day in the hot sweaty fields. Scouted out a new site on some of our new land, so we jumped right in. Pottery everywhere, and some clay pipe stems too--which always means Spanish, or at least Seated Silver! Unfortunately the site was LOADED with aluminum can and trash, but we kept at it and got some goodies amid the bags an bags of can shred.

First score went to Shang with a nice Enfield trigger guard! :hello2:

Then I dug what I believe is a side plate from a musket (can someone confirm this?)

IMG_0697.JPG

Also dug some flat buttons, a couple of gawgag wheat pennies and a toasted Indian, and some other bits. Then I dug a piece of "can" that rang higher and was happy to see that it was actually a piece of silver (probably a plow-destroyed spoon).

Then all of a sudden, I got a signal which (like so many others) I refused to get excited about, even though it was a perfect half real signal. Only this time--it actually was!!

204_1224.JPG IMG_1760a.jpg

Also picked up a nice musket trigger guard, which I really consider a great find. Haven't dug many of these in so intact...

IMG_1762a.jpg

The endless beans--which were fortunately dry for us for most of the day until...we could no longer dodge the clouds. :(

IMG_1758a.jpg

Well, when I say that the skies opened up and it DUMPED, that would be the understatement of the year. Fortunately it was brief, so we did what any sensible diggers would do--we got back out there in the mud and over 100 degree "feels-like" heat, and tried to find some more! Skies were still ominous in the distance, but we kept at it and I got a perfect signal and flipped out a flash of silver which I thought I hallucinated in the heat and humidity. Nope--it was a SILVER QUARTER!!

204_1232.JPG

Turned out to be a well-worn 1907 Barber Quarter. Probably a farmer drop, but I'm VERY happy to have it. This is my 5th Barber Quarter since finding my first one in 25 years two years ago. The floodgate is open! Let the Barbers fly into my pouch!

IMG_1763a.jpg

Anyhow, pretty soon it started raining like a monsoon so we sat in the car and looked through Shang's interesting finds, then we headed home.

Here are some of the other finds:

IMG_0692.JPG IMG_2601.JPG IMG_2604.JPG

On the left, two mystery silver pieces. One is stamped. On the right, what may be the crown from a pocket watch.

IMG_0688.JPG IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0689.JPG

Also dug the top of a lead chess king (middle left):

IMG_0684.JPG

Similar to these:

TheRoseLeadChessSet.jpg

And here is a group shot of the rest of the finds:

IMG_0691.JPG

The 1782 Half Real. I'm really thrilled to add another COLONIAL silver to the total!

IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0695.JPG

Here's the 1907 Barber Quarter. Probably lost well after that date, judging from how smooth it is.

IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0694.JPG

And the pretty little 1853 Seated Half Dime:

IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0687.JPG

Keep Diggin' and Happy Hunting,

-Buck

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 20

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great post BuckleBoy, I'm liking all those finds. It's so nice when you get a signal that turns out to be exactly what it should be, like the half real. I'm also in awe of the amount of land you have access to, that's unreal.

Congrats on another fine hunt.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang Buck, nice day for the Cane Bandits! I was expecting to see an O on that half dime but it's nowhere to be seen...looks like you got a Yankee coin;)

Great Spanish and barber. Now I'm not keeping not count, but you must have wayyy more seated than barbers?

Excellent show man

Steve

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A truce tot of silver. I give you a personal banner for your" days finds "
This banner is real. Great job !!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial AND Seated in the same hunt!! I'd take one of each at any time. Heck, I haven't found a barber quarter yet either. Great hunt. Congrats.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of nice finds between the two of you. I can't seem to get my coil over seated silver.

This button cleaned up nice. Is it a one piece?

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish, seated and a barber quarter not to mention the other cool finds....Sweet!!
That would be a banner hunt in my book!! Congrats!!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on an awesome hunt! You gotta love Barbers, Seated Liberties, and especially Spanish Silver!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great post BuckleBoy, I'm liking all those finds. It's so nice when you get a signal that turns out to be exactly what it should be, like the half real. I'm also in awe of the amount of land you have access to, that's unreal.

Congrats on another fine hunt.

Lots of work to get that many permissions, and keep in good standing with farmers. Many days just hanging out drinking beer and talking with them instead of digging. Lots of beer bought and display cases made!

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Buck, nice day for the Cane Bandits! I was expecting to see an O on that half dime but it's nowhere to be seen...looks like you got a Yankee coin;)

Great Spanish and barber. Now I'm not keeping not count, but you must have wayyy more seated than barbers?

Excellent show man

Steve

Hiya Steve! Yeah, mostly we get "O" coins down here. Philly mint is second, and I can think of only one "D" dime, and a couple of "S" war nickels and a lone "CC" seated that were dug in the past 5-6 years.

We do have many more Seated than Barber, due to the age of the sites we dig. Two years ago we had almost a 30 Spanish silver year, so Reales outnumbered all the other silvers combined. But that was a rare year. Probably won't happen again--although I can't say "never." Perhaps the next site we walk into we'll be so lucky!

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another epic post...do you ever have a bad hunt?

I'm pretty crazy. I'll stay out for two back-to-back 14 hour days in over 100 degree heat and mud to find something. I just don't ever want to leave without finding at least one good find. Most of the time, we get a couple nice things. But it does take work. Helps that we're using methods to make finds that other diggers in Louisiana aren't using. :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial AND Seated in the same hunt!! I'd take one of each at any time. Heck, I haven't found a barber quarter yet either. Great hunt. Congrats.

Once you find one, you'll get more very quickly. Just takes one to "break the seal" :laughing9:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of nice finds between the two of you. I can't seem to get my coil over seated silver.

This button cleaned up nice. Is it a one piece?

That, I'm pretty certain, is the crown off a pocket watch (on top; turns to adjust the time).

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally great finds. Thanks for sharing. Sure leaves the rest of us in the dirt.

Being left in the dirt isn't a bad thing. There's good stuff to be found in the dirt. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish, seated and a barber quarter not to mention the other cool finds....Sweet!!
That would be a banner hunt in my book!! Congrats!!

Thanks so much, my friend! Is that a Connecticut Copper in your profile pic? Great looking coin there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions