1869 Seated Liberty

CladMoonRising

Jan 29, 2015
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a copy of a hand-drawn map from 1874 that shows the general area where a cabin existed in the hills. The cabin was mentioned again in an 1897 newspaper article about a man fleeing a murder scene (he visited the cabin and chatted with its occupants before disappearing forever into the nearby canyon). A 1906 Sunset Magazine article by a local naturalist mentions "a vaquero's rustic cabin 2 or 3 rods from the intersecting creeks." After that, there's no indication it ever existed.

The area is fairly remote and so far I've had no luck finding the exact location. Yesterday, however, I found this dime on the path leading to where I think the cabin might have been situated. I feel like I'm getting close but, even if I never find it, at least I scored my oldest coin . . . and first seated liberty!

Thanks for looking!

1869_Dime_Front.jpg 1869_Dime_Back.jpg

Upvote 37

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a copy of a hand-drawn map from 1874 that shows the general area where a cabin existed in the hills. The cabin was mentioned again in an 1897 newspaper article about a man fleeing a murder scene (he visited the cabin and chatted with its occupants before disappearing forever into the nearby canyon). A 1906 Sunset Magazine article by a local naturalist mentions "a vaquero's rustic cabin 2 or 3 rods from the intersecting creeks." After that, there's no indication it ever existed.

The area is fairly remote and so far I've had no luck finding the exact location.

Sounds like it could be fun to keep looking for the actual site....depending on terrain problems, if any.

Do you know for sure that all mentions are about the same cabin, or could there have been different cabin sightings then?

Are there any old airplane pics from Historic-aerials website ? In my part of the US, there are photos from 1930

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research and fun story! Congrats on the seated. Love those coins

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a FINE save....HH

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent dime you got there, congrats and good luck finding your cabin

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty nice condition as well.
Hope you find the site/Sites .

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That's in really nice condition , congrats and HH

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Seated coin. If you found that one, then you are on the right path to somewhere thats for sure.

OP
OP
CladMoonRising

CladMoonRising

Jan 29, 2015
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are there any old airplane pics from Historic-aerials website ?

The oldest aerial photo I could find for that area was 1946 and there's no building or other evidence. But if I switch to Topo view, the hand drawn map of 1894 shows a "blip" not far from where I found this coin. Getting close!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story and coin . Congrats

Top Member Reactions