Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not been out for over a week between no free time and Lyme's recovery. I went back to my old "happy place", the 1670 church/1645 meeting house.

I've been skunked here many times after many, many hunts but sometimes it keeps giving. Today it did just that...

I get a chip, not even a chirp, that registered nothing on my CTX. Knowing everything left is deep I went from Auto+3 gain to manual +30 gain. That "chip" turned into a full on slammer, but I still figured it was junk or a false iron.

I dig down and keep digging. Past 10", past 12", and finally I get it out.... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466633525.020537.jpg

I measure with my shovel... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466633568.140972.jpg

15" is a new record for a copper depth.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466633602.194242.jpg

I knew it wasn't going to get any better at this spot, in 90-degree heat. So I sat in the shade for a few minutes with the 320 year old coin, then leave.

One side was wonderful, the other was badly crusted. I did my best cleaning and I'm happy with the results. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466633727.254274.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466633737.659542.jpg from the pictures I attribute it to the 1697 variety but maybe IP or Don can clear that one up for sure;)

This is the year of old coppers for me. This is my 2nd William 3rd, and I've also scored 2 KG's (the 1st), and a Woods Hibernia.

Enjoy yourselves out there and remember to check for tics.

Good digs

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 38

Fattony315

May 17, 2013
Up state ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin, I like when the old one come out like that. I'm still waiting for a 1600 coin. Congrat on your coin.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh my...What a fantastic recovery! I can't get over the depth of that coin. You deserve a great deal of credit for pursuing that tiny little " chip". I'm sure I would have skipped right over it.

PS- Hope you are on the mend. Lyme disease is so scary stuff! HH.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a great conduction William copper!

congrats,

Buck

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice man super nice!!!!! Lot of years in the ground.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a killer find Scraps! When I got the pic last night, and didn't recognize the coin, I knew that it must be something good, and sure enough.

I hope that you start to feel better, just think how that poor little tick must feel...

The tick is on antibiotics and needs therapy

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow what an awesome coin and you did great on such an iffy signal! Way to go! That place sounds incredible and I imagine has some wonderful history behind it. Good luck on your recovery!

Thanks Dave. It has amazing history. I plan on writing a full article on the history and actually some direct ties to legend and what I've found. Almost all the finds are on display in the sites museum. I'll let everyone know when it's ready.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh my...What a fantastic recovery! I can't get over the depth of that coin. You deserve a great deal of credit for pursuing that tiny little " chip". I'm sure I would have skipped right over it.

PS- Hope you are on the mend. Lyme disease is so scary stuff! HH.

Well this "chip" worked out, but I didn't mention the 15 before that one were nails and iron. Whenever I make a recovery like this it always makes me wonder how many things I've missed. Lol

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spend all my free time researching 17th century sites so I love to see others with the same passion. Lots of detail left on that beauty. Great job Steve and I'm glad to hear that you're on the mend.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice William III Scrappy. The obverse looks strong. The reverses never seemed to hold up too well on them.

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful find! I found a 1697 as well 5 years ago, though yours is in much better shape! (on mine, it was totally slick except for the date, which was bold, and the letters B R I, which were faint)

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Fine old copper congratulations:occasion14:
At sites like you describe, the tiniest hiccup in your threshold can be the best find of the day
Or a copper BB 3 inches down:unhappysmiley:
Wrong smiley, targets as small as bbs and cartridge primers are keepers because I'm amazed at the tiny pieces of metal that I recover till I get home then I say what the hell am I doing with this do I not have enough scrap?

Last edited:

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an awesome old coin! I've found but one....1701. Congrats!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I spend all my free time researching 17th century sites so I love to see others with the same passion. Lots of detail left on that beauty. Great job Steve and I'm glad to hear that you're on the mend.

Much appreciate Joey. It's a real PITA to figure and find information on some of these 17th C. sites. So many are built over, and many more with little or no record of existing. On another note, I sent you the info on that 1684 house (another site) a while back. Well I'm planning on digging a few pits very soon.

I enjoy history because most of these early settlers had very little, and no back up plan. They were fighters.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ....what a find

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great one Scrappy! You're lucky that the site is cleaned from all trash above. Otherwise you never heard that signal. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats a great one Scrappy! You're lucky that the site is cleaned from all trash above. Otherwise you never heard that signal. :icon_thumleft:

The trash collectors name is me, and I've been working that site for quite a while. All the obvious signals are long gone but happy memories remain. I go there now on occasion for challenging signals. Deep gnarly signals and blips all made possible from my trash collecting skills:)
Cheers

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
15" WOW!!!! :o Congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread