A nice IHP, pile of clad, 11 wheats, and some artifacts

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a compilation of several short hunts over the last couple of days. Not much to write home about. $3.88 in clad, a nice 1902 IHP, 11 wheat pennies dated from 1911 to 1958. The shiny ones had to IMG_0296.JPG IMG_0297.JPG IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0301.JPG IMG_0302.JPG have electrolysis to even tell what they were. The ground they came out of destroys copper and I couldn't even identify what they were with normal cleaning methods. They were toasted to begin with, so nothing ventured, nothing gained. The artifact picture has 2 rifle casings, 32-40, and 45-70 calibers. The round tag is a coal miners tag found at my wife's grandmothers old homestead. She raised a herd of kids and the boys all worked the coal mines. They all died of blacklung and cancer, from Radon gas and coal dust. The next 3 items are whatsit items and any thoughts would be helpful. The miniature pick head is an exact duplicate of a full size pick. The old green marble was in a hole with a wheat penny and I believe it is really old. The ring is an Avon junker. Last but not least is a 1948 Huntingdon, Pa dog license. If I showed all the junk that was dug during these hunts it would be a huge pile. Happy hunting and keep on swinging.

Upvote 14

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds there! You cleaned them up nice.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice IH! Good batch of Wheaties too, congrats on some good digs.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I see nothing wrong in consolidating hunts. Makes the results easier. Congrats on the 1902 IHC, and all of the wheaties. Could you tell what dates the wheats were?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice collection of wheat cents! :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could tell the dates on the wheats all except one. As I said the shiny ones were given electrolosys so I could tell what they were. I don't like to do that as it gives them a new copper look.
I see nothing wrong in consolidating hunts. Makes the results easier. Congrats on the 1902 IHC, and all of the wheaties. Could you tell what dates the wheats were?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunting those areas. made cents. :tongue3: Congrats on the IHP and those 11 wheats. :occasion14:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many have dug pennies until they were just about to give up in frustration when a nice lil ring shows up? Same signal, big surprise.

Looks like a fine couple of hunts.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful green IHC!

I have information for you on that marble. I recognize that thing because I hunt in an old "mill town", and I find them from time to time. It took me a while to figure out exactly what they were.

They are the raw material for making fiber glass: Collection Search | Corning Museum of Glass

Best of luck to you sir!

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info. I had no idea what it was other than a big marble.
Beautiful green IHC!

I have information for you on that marble. I recognize that thing because I hunt in an old "mill town", and I find them from time to time. It took me a while to figure out exactly what they were.

They are the raw material for making fiber glass: Collection Search | Corning Museum of Glass

Best of luck to you sir!

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people think I am wasting my time digging all the penny signals, but as you said they are not always pennies. The IHP came up on the AT Pro in the low 70's. I have also found rings thinking they were pennies. I dig all mid tones as well, if they are a good solid tone.
I wonder how many have dug pennies until they were just about to give up in frustration when a nice lil ring shows up? Same signal, big surprise.

Looks like a fine couple of hunts.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions