Short afternoon hunt in my front and back yard. SLQ, Wheats, silver whatsits

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the process of getting 2 new permissions so just thought I would hit my yard for the afternoon. I have hit it several times and have all the clad and surface junk pretty well cleaned up so I could concentrate on slight and deeper signals. I was pleasantly surprised. Found 5 Wheats, 16,27,41,42, and 46. I also found a nice silver Standing Liberty quarter at 6 inches, but no readable date. I'll still take it. I found what appears to be a fired musket ball, but not sure. The two round items with holes appear to be silver and I thought they were salt and pepper lids, but I don't think so. Any thoughts? The blue tag was an unusual find as it says its for seniors. I didn't realize Center county, Pa required dog license for seniors, but I guess in this day and age anything can happen. I also found a copper ring that looks like it would have had a large stone at one time. The ring is also pretty toasted. Last but not least is the no date Matron Head Cent. My neighbor saw me detecting and brought it out to give to me. She said she found it in her garden years ago and tried to clean it with vinegar and salt. It is pretty toasted so I tried to use electrolosy IMG_0303.JPG IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0307.JPG IMG_0306.JPG IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0313.JPG s to see if I could bring out a date, but it is eaten up by our Pa. soil. Happy hunting and keep on swinging.

Upvote 10

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least your yard is giving up some good stuff.........nice finds!
My yard has been stingy.........and our Lycoming County soil isn't much better than Centre County...............lots of toasted coppers........

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We actually live in Blair County. I have a brother-in-law that lives in the Williamsport area.
At least your yard is giving up some good stuff.........nice finds!
My yard has been stingy.........and our Lycoming County soil isn't much better than Centre County...............lots of toasted coppers........

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who needs permissions when your own yard has finds like that?! Nice job!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you pulled quite a few keepers. :thumbsup: Those may be from talcum powder tins? I very seldom use electrolysis on coins (only 2 so far) They were too crusty or toasted to hurt.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love your yard! Congratulations. Have you hit the neighbors garden?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
SLQ's are rare, even a no date one is a good one. My house was built in 1923 and I found a lousy wheat in the yard period.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like to use electrolosys either but the LC was crusty and not worth much in the state it was in. I think you may be right, they probably are Talcum powder tins. Thanks for the info Loco.
Looks like you pulled quite a few keepers. :thumbsup: Those may be from talcum powder tins? I very seldom use electrolysis on coins (only 2 so far) They were too crusty or toasted to hurt.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many times. I keep going slower and low and have managed to keep finding good stuff.
I love your yard! Congratulations. Have you hit the neighbors garden?

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was an old house where my place is now and the story was there were two old hermit brothers that lived in the house. My one neighbor said they liked to bury things in the yard. I am still waiting to find that coffee can full of silver!
SLQ's are rare, even a no date one is a good one. My house was built in 1923 and I found a lousy wheat in the yard period.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice collection of old coins! The SLQ is a cool find! :occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad for your own yard. I like that Standing Liberty Quarter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread