Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A morning hunt that could have turned into all day...Got out this morning to my current favorite Baltimore park and went right back to where I was on Wednesday morning. The grounds did not disappoint. First coin dug was a "fatty" Indian 1862. Afterwards, another hole with an IHP that surprised with a second coin, another IHP. I then recovered a very toasty Buff, followed by a memorial. A concave button without shank and then two single IHPs finished out my hunt. Also found a .32 S&W round and a 1 jiao, which is a tenth of a Chinese yuan. The closing of Patterson park to detectorists in March has forced me to look elsewhere for detecting. Like Patterson, this park has been good to me. Thanks for checking out the pics. Happy Hunting!
Finds.jpg

Upvote 20

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know in March that police and a park superintendent approached a group of detectorists and told them that they could finish their hunt but, that going forward, Patterson was off-limits according to concerns of the archeology folks. I spoke with someone in Park and Rec permitting office and got the same story.

Ah! I see!!! Instead of allowing the people who PAY for the park to use it for their desires. They pull the ole Archy card and say oh no! No more! You can't have that stuff that was left behind. ALL OF THAT BELONGS TO ME!!!!!

Mark my words, if they're allowed to, metal detectors will become outlawed......ANYwhere.

It's time for an "N.R.A." type organization people, only for us! Hope I'm wrong, but know I'm not. Look around people!

Last edited:
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Johncoho! It came down to the fact that we had too much of a presence in the park and someone or a group of people didn't like us being there taking historical artifacts. In the end, for whatever the issue, people in authority over the use of the park decided we had to leave. That makes two of the largest parks in Baltimore closed to detectorists. I can't complain though, there are many more we can use.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Johncoho! It came down to the fact that we had too much of a presence in the park and someone or a group of people didn't like us being there taking historical artifacts. In the end, for whatever the issue, people in authority over the use of the park decided we had to leave. That makes two of the largest parks in Baltimore closed to detectorists. I can't complain though, there are many more we can use.

Yeah, but those same people who are now banned from using the park as they would like, STILL have to pay for them, don't they. Wonder how long it will take? For people to wake up? Probably, right after the use of a metal detector is banned, everywhere. Que sera, sera.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of reasons why some parks are closed to metal detecting while others are still open. I can bring to light,, numerous statements that are not only
untrue,, but are used by wealthy individuals to shut down the activities that they don't want.
I'm really surprised that these shutdowns aren't being brought to the attention of The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation.

Congrats on your 5 Indians. I can't remember ever finding that many in one hunt. I think 3 is my personal best.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That park is being very nice to you, another Killer hunt!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ATW! Patterson was a great place to find IHPs. My best day there was six.
Appreciate your mentioning the Task Force.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks deershed! I've heard folks say time and again "a park is never hunted out". I'm sure this place has been "cherry-picked", but I expect to pull even more from here before the year's out, and this is just a small part of a much larger area.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know in March that police and a park superintendent approached a group of detectorists and told them that they could finish their hunt but, that going forward, Patterson was off-limits according to concerns of the archeology folks. I spoke with someone in Park and Rec permitting office and got the same story.

First, congrats on some really nice finds. I hope the current park stays open to you. I think in addition to watching for MD activity in the Patterson park, I would also be on the lookout for concerned "archeology folks". Can't tell you how many times I've seen the archeology crowd cry over metal detecting, force a stop to it, then do absolutely nothing to recover any of the artifacts they are so concerned about - unless they get a government grant and get paid to do it. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Reelsnrods! That 1862 helped my cause on the competition board at last night's Club meeting. June was a good month for finds!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 1862 "fatty" IHC, button, bullet and foreign coin all went on the competition board at our Club meeting this past Thursday and helped my cause.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread