My amazing wife found something while walking 9 dogs at work!

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... I have the best friend in the world. She has a very busy job as a keeper of the hounds, sometimes out with up to 12 off leash dogs each hike. Today was a nice easy day here on Vancouver Island, BC. She stumbled upon what we think might be a Native American type or aboriginal tool for cutting. It is GORGEOUS held up to a light, translucent and looks like a ton of effort was put into crafting this amazing tool (at least in my eyes). Never have I seen a point or tool like this in display and can't seem to find much information online either. So I ask you, the experts... What did she find?

We don't want to reveal too much information as to preserve the area but she was on a small coastal mountain and the tool was located in the creek bank/wash out about 1' up in a 3' tall bank.

I love how the little notch is super smooth, it fits perfectly in her hand and is still sharp.

Thanks to all that help!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 416
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 352
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 347
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 341
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    381.9 KB · Views: 365
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 329
Upvote 31

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! It is obsidian. But I too have no idea of the intended use. Could it be a spear point?

OP
OP
Bquamb

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We thought that, but all the obsidian spear like points we have found are flat on one side, or has knotches at the bottom, and this only has one for a small dexterous finger. I feel like it may have been used to skin hides.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
We don't want to reveal too much information as to preserve the area but she was on a small coastal mountain and the tool was located in the creek bank/wash out about 1' up in a 3' tall bank.

I love how the little notch is super smooth, it fits perfectly in her hand and is still sharp.

really cool find,go back and dig a little, it might be part of a cache, not sure maybe that one is not
finished, or maybe a tanning type tool to cut meat, skin
a couple of caches have been found
NOVA - Official Website | Ancient Clovis Cache

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I have no knowledge to impart and truthfully usually do not spend a lot of time on posts of points and tools. But you have something special there I believe. Thank you for sharing this with us.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. You might post this in the North American Indian Artifacts sub, likely it will get the most knowledgeable views there.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful find!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Looks like it could have been attached to a small wooden handle for use as, I don't know, a hatchet?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's beautiful. The sharpness is testament to the quality and care given, and simplicity. Take the most expensive and sharpest knives in the world and let them sit in a river for even a half century and see what left.

PS - sounds like you're wife is not one to hide anything from!! Lol

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was probably used for slicing meat. Obsidian blades are sharper than any modern metal blades.

Obsidian is used by some surgeons for scalpel blades although not approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use on humans. Well-crafted obsidian blades, as with any glass knife, can have a cutting edge many times sharper than high-quality steel surgical scalpels, the cutting edge of the blade being only about 3 nanometers thick. Even the sharpest metal knife has a jagged, irregular blade when viewed under a strong enough microscope; when examined even under an electron microscope an obsidian blade is still smooth and even. One study found that obsidian incisions produced fewer inflammatory cells and less granulation tissue at seven days, in a group of rats, although no differences were found after 21 days. Don Crabtree produced obsidian blades for surgery and other purposes, and has written articles on the subject. Obsidian scalpels may currently be purchased for surgical use on research animals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian#Current_use

DirtLurker

Greenie
Jun 19, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Sovereign XS2 pro, White's PRL-1 and Classic III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little mysteries like this, make life worth living. It must be amazing to hold in the hand. congrats on an awesome find. definitely obsidian and it makes sense as there would have been villages upstream perhaps and sudden flooding could have washed it down to settle where it was found. imagine how sharp it must have been when first created and what if it's unfinished... could be a big game arrow point or atlatl? hopefully it has friends out there and you will find them, preserve them and share when/if possible.

OP
OP
Bquamb

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the input, comments and suggestions. Still trying to figure out who was here and how long ago this could possibly date back?! It obviously has some wear from erosion and where we found it but still super sharp. Will be posting this in the native section as well.

Thanks again all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions