I Failed to Find Any Silver Today so I had to Settle for GOLD!!!!!!14K.....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I haven't had too many chances to hunt over the last week or so due to a fair amount of pretty heavy rain.
I worked today and told myself I would try and squeeze in at least a short hunt before dark. I had very little time so I decided to hit a school field...BUT......that "little voice" I sometimes mention had something else in mind and told me to go back to my "pounded" field after staying away for a while; so of course, I obeyed as I always do when my "voice" shows up.

I hiked to my field and began swinging. I usually hunt with no disc so I know what's down there but once again, something told me to knock out iron this time so I did. On my Omega iron just goes away at 16 disc and that's where I ran it. It's right on the line at that setting.

I swear, the VERY first non iron hit I got was a rock solid 58 which means either a pull tab, can slaw, a nickel, or GOLD. So I dug my plug, lifted it up and saw this....

Quick Hunt, Big Results june 25 2016 041.jpg
(sorry the pic is out of focus but I finally got a smart phone and I'm still learning the particulars of my camera)

I usually assume that anything gold colored is fake until I verify it after so many of those heartbreaking, heart stopper experiences. But tonight, my heart didn't stop and this one turned out to be real and 14K. It also has three tiny stones and is marked "STARFIRE". I believe this is ring #70.

Quick Hunt, Big Results june 25 2016 042.jpg Quick Hunt, Big Results june 25 2016 044.jpg Quick Hunt, Big Results june 25 2016 045.jpg

This one was right next to a heavy iron spot I've swung over 100 times. It's probably been there all along but got lost in the iron signals and I just completely missed it. Plus, since upgrading to the Omega I definitely have a little bit better target separation than before and that can surely make a huge difference in trashy spots. Another good lesson learned.

Other than the ring all I found was a little trash. This is the spot I've pounded SO many times and it's pretty clean at this point but I guess after staying away for a month or so, a few heavy rainfalls, a strong intuitive hit, a slightly different hunting style and some luck, I somehow managed to walk directly to that one little 5x10" spot and hit it just right this time.

I have a few other recent finds but I'm too tired to post them tonight. I'll get to those soon.

So as the saying goes, no site is ever hunted out. Also, if that little voice ever shows up and tells you to go to a certain spot and start swinging, listen carefully and don't ignore it. ALLOW it to speak to you and pay very close attention because it always has your best interest at heart. It just may lead you to something very good. This has happened with me quite a few times and when it does, it seems to always end well.

Thanks for looking and HH to all......

Last edited:
Upvote 25

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds it s finding stuff like this that keeps us going and people like you posting finds like this that keeps us going gotta love this hobby Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a Beauty!! Amazing what we can!!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL.....just imagining what was going through your mind when you lifted that plug!! Great find.............:occasion14:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Starfire is a type of sapphire, usually pretty expensive. I'd have this one certified by a gemologist, I think.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring, congratulations. Sub 8-)

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ring! I was going to suggest the ring was lost in the late '60's, early '70's and "Starfire" was the girls name :laughing7:. But the Sapphire type of stone works too :hello2:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job listening to your guide and reaping the rewards. :thumbsup:

I'll bet you now begin lowering your discrimination more often!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ring! I was going to suggest the ring was lost in the late '60's, early '70's and "Starfire" was the girls name :laughing7:. But the Sapphire type of stone works too :hello2:

I did little research online and learned that "Starfire' is actually the brand name. It has the "R" inside a circle after the name. They've been around since at least the early 1950's that I'm aware of but I have no clue as to the age of this ring.

I've found coins at this site all the way back to 1895, other gold rings from the early to mid 70's and one "valadium (stainless) ring from 2014 so it's anyone's guess at this point.

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Garrett! I love it when I pull something out of a so called hunted out site.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go G424! Congrats! Just got my first gold & diamond ring last week and its a great feeling to see gold poking up at you from the scoop or plug.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go G424! Congrats! Just got my first gold & diamond ring last week and its a great feeling to see gold poking up at you from the scoop or plug.

I'm pretty sure the stones are diamonds according to what I've read about the maker but they're probably THE smallest diamonds you can find anywhere.
But I'll take them any day.....

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful gold !

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure the stones are diamonds according to what I've read about the maker but they're probably THE smallest diamonds you can find anywhere.
But I'll take them any day.....

Yeah, mine are just chips also, but I'll take 'em, anyway.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, mine are just chips also, but I'll take 'em, anyway.

Hey I tried to post in your "Fathers day Gold" thread but the link won't work. I wanted to see your gold ring.
You may wanna PM someone and get it fixed.

Oh and congrats on your gold find BTW. Dunno' about you but gold is my favorite thing to find. I LOVE old coins and silver but there's just something about digging up gold that makes all of those frustrating hunts and all of those pull tabs and hundreds of pieces of other trash worth it.

It's like the moment you see that gold looking back at you; you completely forget about the previous 3 or 400 pieces of junk you dug to get there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A real beauty! Congratualtions on the ring recovery. Keep up the streak! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread