1830s Silver Mechanical Pencil w/ Perpetual Calendar!!!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a great time yesterday & saved a very unique piece of history! This is a silver mechanical pencil with a perpetual calendar (I've helped ID a few before & always wanted to find one!) It was made by Addison & Co., NYC circa 1820s-30s. Notice that the decorative tip is inside, I was scared to try any repair on that.This was my first target of the day & the best! I'm definitely happy to have this in my collection. It was a scorcher but fun nonetheless! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466987237.693936.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466987254.293408.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466987273.597789.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466987289.360054.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466987304.077253.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466987318.911395.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 40

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find. Do you think it's missing any of the original pieces? I like finding old writing instruments when I'm out on the road for work hitting thrift outlets, antique and pawn shops along the way. I picked up this sterling pencil from the early 20th C for a few bucks made by a Edward Todd and when I put it up for auction on eBay two collectors ask I end the auction now with their offer. One was an offer of $75. and the other was $100. I declined and it sold for $150. I still have pictures of it and I wish I hadn't sold it. The first picture of my sterling pencil I took in a motel, before I got home to do a little restoration on it. If I had your pencil and I wish I did have one like it, I would be looking into having it restored. I've no clue what yours would be worth as is, but I have a feeling it would be worth something to a serious collector, even as is. I think it looks like it could be restored pretty well by someone who knows what to do. I know I wouldn't attempt to do it.

Attachments

• Edward Todd pencil uncleaned.jpg
    Edward Todd pencil uncleaned.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 97
  • edward todd pencil.jpg
    edward todd pencil.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 96
  • edward todd mark.jpg
    edward todd mark.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 97

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet piece of silver history

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow I had no idea they had anything that advanced back than,super sweet find! Congrats!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find. Do you think it's missing any of the original pieces? I like finding old writing instruments when I'm out on the road for work hitting thrift outlets, antique and pawn shops along the way. I picked up this sterling pencil from the early 20th C for a few bucks made by a Edward Todd and when I put it up for auction on eBay two collectors ask I end the auction now with their offer. One was an offer of $75. and the other was $100. I declined and it sold for $150. I still have pictures of it and I wish I hadn't sold it. The first picture of my sterling pencil I took in a motel, before I got home to do a little restoration on it. If I had your pencil and I wish I did have one like it, I would be looking into having it restored. I've no clue what yours would be worth as is, but I have a feeling it would be worth something to a serious collector, even as is. I think it looks like it could be restored pretty well by someone who knows what to do. I know I wouldn't attempt to do it.

Nice pen, thanks for sharing. Everything is there but the tip is stuck inside. I could take it to a jeweler & see although I imagine it would be pretty pricey to get repaired. There is also a brass tube in the center & I'm sure that'll make it a challenge as well.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an incredibly cool artifact Josh! Would love to have one of those in my collection. Great find!!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pen, thanks for sharing. Everything is there but the tip is stuck inside. I could take it to a jeweler & see although I imagine it would be pretty pricey to get repaired. There is also a brass tube in the center & I'm sure that'll make it a challenge as well.
Yeah, I can see that brass tube and sure those tips make it kind of look like an old medical syringe, but could be duplicated I would think?. An item like you have is pretty rare imo. It would have belonged to a well to do person or someone of scientific means. Not sure what it would cost to bring back, but I've looked online for skilled silversmith and restorer's and have found a couple that can do some amazing work, or at least they have pictures that show their end results looking with spectacular results. I have a couple projects I want done when I do decide to do so, if ever? Some I can take on myself, from the skills I picked up in the old school auto body shop days.

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I can see that brass tube and sure those tips make it kind of look like an old medical syringe, but could be duplicated I would think?. An item like you have is pretty rare imo. It would have belonged to a well to do person or someone of scientific means. Not sure what it would cost to bring back, but I've looked online for skilled silversmith and restorer's and have found a couple that can do some amazing work, or at least they have pictures that show their end results looking with spectacular results. I have a couple projects I want done when I do decide to do so, if ever? Some I can take on myself, from the skills I picked up in the old school auto body shop days.
After doing some research this would probably only be worth $150 at the most in good shape. After talking to a knowledgeable jeweler it would be in the hundreds (at least) to get it repaired (most jewelers won't touch it). So... I will enjoy it just as it is, the dents & dings tell a story too!

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Magnun seeking ur help again, what do u think this is another mechanical pencil part? looks very much like the other one i showed you. 14264107_854364621366077_5362991096256554011_n.jpg 14265049_854364678032738_8993275791784290408_n.jpg

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAGNUM THATS A COOL FIND YOU GOT THERE .

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sweet. Prior to the 1880's most US silversmiths would work with a 90% silver content. (Coin Silver ). The silver content was changed to
92.5%, (Sterling), to compete with European Silver content. This was especially true with Silver Tableware.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for showing us that would be sweet in any collection!!!!!!!!!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Awesome find there man

Congrats

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread