New member to the site with First Silver Ring Find

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TNet, I am a new member to the forum. I have been reading the forum for the past few months but I haven't found anything notable to post up. That all changed today. I had a little free time to get out with the new AT Pro today to learn the machine a little bit more. I used the machine for seven days last week down in the northern panhandle of Florida. I didn't manage to get my coil over anything of value but I got a lot of real world experience with the machine. I was initially worried that the AT wouldn't work well down there in the sand and close to the water but after trying it myself, I can vouch that it does in fact do well in those conditions. I found a lot of modern clad down there both in and out of the surf. No jewelry on that trip though. Now back to today. I decided to throw my new 5x8 coil on and search in my front yard. I recovered 6 modern pennies, several pieces of can slaw, 2 pulltabs, 2 bottlecaps, and a few other random pieces of trash before I finally made a nice find. About four inches down, right next to a sidewalk that runs through my front yard I dug this ring. I am unsure of the stone in it but several people that have seen it tell me it is a garnet. I am curious of the age of this ring. Can anybody date this thing for me? It doesn't look ancient to me but it doesn't look brand new either. Thanks for checking my post out and I look forward to posting here on the forum.

Ring PIC Resized.jpg Ring PIC2 Resized.jpg

Upvote 18
OP
OP
ShortbusElite

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the help with identification of the ring and the welcome to Tnet.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
welcome to TNet! That's a nice silver ring... hopefully, many more will follow.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet and congrats on the ring! Can't help date it, but you might consider how old the home is as part of your research. Most things I find are generally dated very close to the when the home was built; but even then, not always. My own home here in VA was built in 2004 and so far, I've found a colonial dandy and an 1864 two-cent piece on the two acre lot. Go figure.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the letters could stand for two different meanings. The first one is Fused Alloy Silver. However I think it could be the second.

There was a company called Fantastic Antique Silver. They made newer rings with the old style. The reason I say that is MOST antique silver especially rings say sterling. 925 was not used on rings very often before the 1960's. I have found over 500 silver rings. Most of them say sterling. The newer ones are marked 925.

So I am believing your ring was made after 1960 but made by a company that specialized in the antique look.

Remember, this is an edumicated guess!!

500 silver rings eh?? That's impressive.
My goal is to hit ring # 100 before the end of the year. I still have 30 to go so I need to get swingin'. Rings are definitely one of my favorite targets and my latest detector (Omega) LOVES circular objects.

Reelsnrods

Feb 13, 2013
Nantucket
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and congrats on the silver with gem find... Awesome stuff!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net!
Awesome first silver ring find! Congrats!
I'm sure there will be a lot more to follow!

The 8 is probably the ring size which may mean it is a newer make of an older design.
It is a looker and silver! Nice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread