Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have pounded this 18th century home site over the past year, pulling out LC's, many buttons and buckles. So much so that I found nothing on my previous hunt. This time I decided to expand my search into an adjacent field that frankly I had written off in the past. What a shocker to find four wheats (1920, 1926, 1932, 1943), a brass thimble and several buttons to include an octagonal shape dandy with the shank still intact. With some mild electrolysis, I was blown away by the detail around the edges. Also found a round dandy and a few smaller buttons. Then, close to the end of the hunt, I pull out a large man's wedding ring! Gold, baby, Gold! One other interesting find was a small, ornate brass piece that forms a semi-circle at the top. At first, I thought it was broken, but when you look closely there are two small, sharp points at the end of each of the prongs. I think this held a bezel ring or other circular piece which allowed it to spin or rotate within the prongs. Any help on an ID would be appreciated. I put one of the wheats in the middle of the prongs to give you an idea of size. All in all, one of the best hunts I've had in the past couple months!

Finds 25 June 16.jpg
Octo dandy front.jpg
Octo dandy back.jpg
gold ring.jpg
thingy.jpg

Upvote 12

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that octagonal dandy button. I have seen a few posted over the years, but they don't turn up very often.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet hunt, nice gold! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that octagonal dandy button. I have seen a few posted over the years, but they don't turn up very often.

Thanks, Steve. Frankly, the octagonal dandy had me more excited than the gold ring, simply because I had never seen one before. All my previous dandy buttons were round, so this one took me by surprise.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your bodacious ring - wheaties - buttons & other finds - one fantastic day - anyway thank your for sharing your pictures and story of your finds. I wish you many ore great finds while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a rotating seal matrix (The two sided seal is missing). 19th C I believe.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a rotating seal matrix (The two sided seal is missing). 19th C I believe.

PS. This was more like fob watch bling, not really functional.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. This was more like fob watch bling, not really functional.

Actually, you may be on to something with the rotating seal matrix. A quick google search came up with several similar pieces, at least functionally. This is what I had visualized, but had never seen.
seal 1.jpg seal 2.jpg seal 3.jpg

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent hunt,, congrats on the Gold.
Can you give us a close up shot of the 1943 copper wheat penny? ?

1943 copper wheat? I WISH! That one is a actually a steel penny, but I can post a pic later. Its the red, rusty looking one on the far left of the penny row. I have it soaking in some Evapo-Rust right now!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the gold find! That button is very interesting. :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nhbenz, you nailed it! And a big thanks to Crusader for starting down that path. You guys are great!

I hedged my bets a little, it could be 18th C, but if it is, its a style that was popular around 1790s. (into the 19th C)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread