Trying the good karma angle....

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter
yesterday A friend of mine at work asked if I could help out the little league by going and detecting their fields for the three base mount buried in the field. I said sure no problem. all day long he kept asking me what he would owe to do this for them. I kept saying nothing no charge. Finally after about his 10th attempt I said "OK tell me when your house was built?" his reply was "1940 why?" my reply was "here's my payment...Let the boys and I detect around your house sometime". He agreed with the standard response "you probably won't find anything". So now that I named my price he was happy for the day.

We met after work at the fields. He had brought his son along (6) And we started detecting for the metal base along the first baseline. I got a really strong signal came up as a dime right around where we thought the base should be, So we started digging and out pops Two Merc's (1944 and 1945) laying right on top of each other. Well I looked up and said "well it's not what we're looking or but it'll definitely work". His son was happy but not completely sure about what we found. So I explained what they were and how old they were. From then on he wanted to dig every time the XLT chirped....And he did....

After we found all the base mounts and about .75 cents in change plus the 2 merc's and an old button the rain started to creep in. so we had to call it a day. I took the little one over to the truck we cleaned the the finds. I gave him all the finds except for the button (he had no interest in that). I told him that the two merc's needed to be put away in his piggy bank and saved they're special.

Just As I was getting ready to leave the little one comes running up to the truck and asked if we could go detect his house sometime this weekend. I Replied maybe, depends on the weather. He smiled stuck his hand out (I thought he wanted to shake hands ) and dropped one of the merc in my hand and the ran back to his dads truck and said "here we'll split them" as he went then said "see you this weekend"

So after all that I guess karma does pay off.
Enjoy
3S.

Attachments

• both.JPG
    both.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 406
  • 1944merc.JPG
    1944merc.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 417
  • Dsc00180.jpg
    Dsc00180.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 387
  • buttonfront.JPG
    buttonfront.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 390
  • button1.JPG
    button1.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 392
  • button2.JPG
    button2.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 396
Upvote 0

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Very nice! I helped the park crew here locate the base posts for the diamond but only walked away with the feeling of being helpful. What a nice feeling ;D

R

RUDY2003

Way to go! Great to help and find silver to boot....

Keep safe...

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
That's the kind of stories I like to hear. Way to go!

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
OP
OP
3searchin

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter
Green1 said:
now there's a kid with some charachter....

how about it, it's good to see these days....

And before I could give it back to him he ran back to his dads car...

I wasn't expecting to find anything like that and certainly not on the first hole we dug. It was a good time and only took about an hour. We would have stayed longer if the rain would have held off.

Thanks everyone

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Great story, hope the kid hangs on to that Merc. Cool you got another place to hunt out of the deal. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread