meteorite

treasuretrucker

Jun 3, 2007
on the open road
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
hello all,did some hunting today at an elamentary school in carrolton ky.found .61 cents,a few buttons and what i think is a small meteorite.about the size of a quarter and sort of rough oval shaped,but very cracked looking and has some strange ridges on it.came up with a strong signal and is very heavy.will post pics soon,just wanted to know if anyone else has found any meteorites.thanks.

Upvote 0

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vaguely recall seeing a post about a found meteorite earlier in the year. From what was posted, they can be worth a considerable amount of money, although, I wouldn't buy one...

HH from MM2

Attachments

• rotatdollar_e0.gif
    rotatdollar_e0.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 818
  • rotatdollar_e0.gif
    rotatdollar_e0.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 821

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
It's not impossible but it would be a rare find. Check out the Meteorite Section off the main page for different test methods to see if that thing is the real item or not. Hope so!! Good luck and congrats!

I have a large collection of them that I have bought on eBay over the years but I have never found one. I think it would be a dream find of mine though.

Smiles!
BDoo

R

RUDY2003

Hope it is a meteorite, I saw a program on them with guys usin metal detectors finding them.
Some small ones your size were worth $200...

Keep safe...

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Hope it's real! I'd love to find one.

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Maryland, Pennsylvania line
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
I hope it is a real meteorite for ya. Im a relative newbie and have already been fooled by coal stove "clinkers".
It may be from an old school that had a coal furnace. Look in the area for a coal chute.
All things considered though, as they said its not impossible and the earth is a big place to find small items! Good digs and keep going!

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a nice meteorite that I found when I was a kid. It fills my whole hand and weighs several pounds. My magnets stick to it.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
The teacher in me can't resist.

Meteorites fascinate most people, especially kids. Surprisingly, they are very common. They are just really small. If you have kids and want to show them some meteorites, place a good-sized magnet in the rain gutter of your house next to the drain. Leave it there for several rains. Take it down and look at it with a good loupe. There should be several to many small meteorites stuck to the magnet. Meteorites of that size hit the earth all the time. You just never see them.

OK. Back to Metal Detecting.

Daryl

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
Hey Bro. that will be cool if it is a meteorite, can't wait to see it! Another thing, now instead of you calling me and telling me where you are in the country all I have to do is look at your posts on here to find out...haha! Take it easy and keep safe, talk to you soon...

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Yeah, some of the shingle granules and road stuff is slightly magnetic. It will usually wash off if you gently rinse the magnet under running water and the meteorites usually stay attached. When viewed under a small scope or loupe, the little meteorites still look like meteorites and you can pick them off and put then on a piece of white paper glued to a magnet and have a little collection.

There's a little nerd in all of us. Hope we never lose it.

Daryl

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Daryl,
I did a little experiment a few months ago. Up the (kansas) hill from the house, there was an older house and buildings. I was tectin one day and dug up a target. I found a piece of worked flint as I was digging. So I decided to dig more. There is about a foot of topsoil and then clay. It brown, sticky and hard to dig. Not even many plant roots.

I decided to see what was in there besides clay. From below the topsoil and any human activity, I filled a 5 gal bucket about 1/2 full. I rinsed and rinsed until the clay was gone. What was left, was a couple of handfuls of soft limesone and a little sand.. No big surprise. On a whim, I ran a magnet over it. I got a tiny amount of stuff that stuck.

After reading your message, I got the stuff off the magnet onto a piece of paper. Some of it seems to be more magnetic and I can move it more across the paper. I've got enough that it would be the size of a BB if all pushed together.

Probably just some iron....

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
If it sticks to the magnet, it's iron of some form or fashion. I remember as a kid in Georgia, taking a magnet and pulling little specks of iron from sand. Hey didn't have any money to do anything else so I would spend hours collecting the stuff. It was pretty cool to play with. And it was free.

As far as the real thick sticky clay, are you sure you didn't hit the privy? ;D
What is the saying again? Something runs downhill? Can't remember now.

Daryl

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one (?) last year in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte, N.C.) that weighs 169.5 grams and is not round but has the surface area of a golf ball. It had been 4 feet deep but the topsoil had been scraped away in pre-construction phase of a building that was to go up on the site. I got a nickel signal at four inches and dug out what looked like a heavy black rock from a sort of burnt looking hole. I took it to some local museums and the folks there were about 99% sure it was a meteroite. I haven't sent it and paid anything (it cost money to have them verified) to have it officially labeled yet. It's sitting in my kitchen on the cabinet next to my car keys. I was told by some collectors from Georgia that I'd sent a photo of it to that it could be worth as much as $100 a gram. Please don't offer me one tenth that with the money in your hand unless you want to own a meteorite, then you can pay to have it tested and get your name put on it in the museum! Whoop-tee-do!

Ramapirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread