Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IRT front.jpg IRT back.jpg token bank.jpg So, back on June 7th I recovered my first Gold coin, the 1910 $5 Indian that I posted. In that post I also mentioned "I found a subway token, I guess". Well all this time went by and I forgot I had the token until last night I rediscovered it on a self in my home and the information is interesting.

Apparently it is a Subway Token from 1928 that was never put in circulation. Interborough Rapid Transit Company (IRT) one of the original subway lines that went into service in 1904 in New York City. These tokens were produced in 1928 to be used to pay a fare of 7-cents, raised from 5-cents but the fare raise fell through and the tokens were sent to be destroyed.

Below I'm pasting the information I found out about it:

The Interborough Rapid Transit Company and the Brooklyn Manhattan Transit Company were operating under the Dual Contracts for about ten years before trouble entered the picture. This was in two areas: they could not raise the fare above 5-cents, and that construction costs were rising much faster than those projected in 1913. The BRT went into receivership in the early 1920 after the disastrous Malbone Street accident (the street was later renamed Empire Boulevard). It was re-organized as the Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit Company. The IRT forecasting bad things, in 1927 petitioned to the Public Service Commission for a hike to a 7-cent fare. The PSC denied it, but in appeal to the State Supreme Court, it was overturned. After oral arguments to the U.S. Supreme Court in October 1928 things looked good for a hike in the fare, so the IRT ordered two million tokens from each of three companies: Johnson Fare Box, Scoville Manufacturing, and Meyer & Wenth. These six million tokens were in the vaults of the IRT by December of 1928. However, after re-hearing the case, the Supreme Court ruled that the 5-cent fare must stay, the tokens went into storage, and in time the companies went into receivership. The tokens remained in the vaults of the Board of Transportation until 1943 when a large sum were sold to the Hudson and Manhattan Railroad Company for the metal use in their own token of the era, and the remaining stock was sold in 1948 for scrap. In an oft-repeated oral folklore story that when the twenty year old bags were being moved out of storage, one broke spilling the contents on the floor, and needless to say, not all of the tokens found their way back into the replacement bag.

Last edited:
Upvote 12

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An uncirculated token! Sounds like a first to me, and very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find and history, congratulations! :occasion14:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save and a very nice write up. I was really surprised to see the text you sent of that token since The NYC Transit Authority didn't start using tokens until 1953.
By that time the fare had risen to 15 cents. I have a complete chart of all tokens used by NYC Transit up until the Metro Card made it's appearance in 1993. There was never any mention of the token that you found. I have dug 5 or 6 different tokens over the years but I think you have dug one that can't be topped. Big time congratulations.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this token the earlier five cent token or is it the later seven cent token that never went into circulation? Very cool either way and a nice little history lesson you dug up.

OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this token the earlier five cent token or is it the later seven cent token that never went into circulation? Very cool either way and a nice little history lesson you dug up.

From all the research I've done there was no five cent token for the IRT, these would have been the first, they used 5c paper tickets and regular nickels back then, perhaps Against The Wind can chime in here.

If anyone has any more research let me know

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you are killin it!!!!!!!!1

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet find DD. :occasion14: I'd Rather dig old tokens than modern clad.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The token that Diggin Dude recovered would have been the first subway token but it was never activated. It was produced in anticipation of a fare increase from 5 cents to 7 cents. As DD mentioned, these tokens were never authorized to be released to the public.
The first token used in the NYC Subway system was authorized by the NYC Transit Authority in 1953. It was the "Small Y Token" and cost 15 cents.
First token - Small "Y" - 1953 - 1966 - 15 cents
Second token - Large "Y" - 1966 - 1970 - 20 cents
1970 - 1972 - 30 cents
1972 - 1975 - 35 cents
1975 - 1980 - 50 cents
Third token - Diamond Jubilee Token -
1979 - 1980 - 50 cents
Fourth Token - Solid NYC Token -
1980 - 1981 - 60 cents
1981 - 1983 - 75 cents
1984 - 1985 - 90 cents
Fifth Token - Bulls Eye Token -
1986 - 1990 - $ 1.00
1990 - 1992 - $ 1.15
1992 - 1995 - $ 1.25
Sixth Token - Five Borough Pentagram
1995 - 2003. $1.50
The NYC Subway Token was discontinued in 2003 as the plastic Metro Card took over.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! The find that keeps on giving! That is awesome!

Would vote if i could!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread