Digging in NC with Carolina Tom and Other Fellow Tnetters

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I finally found the time to post my finds from the weekend in Charlotte NC and Galax VA. :thumbsup:

We had a great time as a large group hunting multiple sites on Saturday. Never a dull moment with those guys. :laughing7: At the 1st site (a mid 1900's mansion) I pulled a few keepers (a no date) Buffalo nickel, a medicine bottle, a 1944 wheat, and the skeleton key piece. :thumbsup: Later that day at the 2nd site, I pulled, an old heart pin with cupid's arrow in it. :thumbsup: Finally at the 3rd site I pulled the vintage Pepsi bottle :thumbsup: and a heart stopper. :hello2: At first I thought I dug a trime due to the size of the find. After a little cleaning it turned out to be a toy coin with a date 1792. :icon_thumright: I know it's not that old, but it's the only play money I dug with a date.

On Sunday Tom and I drove around and hit about 4 more sites. At the 1st site a got a big hit showing a 91 VDI, I thought for certain I was going to dig a big silver, but to no avail. :BangHead: It was the meter cover in one of the pics below. We then went to an older school (site 2), where I dug the cool bus pin and the funky tiger piece. :hello2: We met up with Patch and Smittyman at the 3rd site where I dug a 1910 wheatie (hey it's over 100 hears old). :icon_thumright: At the 4th site, where Tom napped, I decided to hunt a path leading from the development to the sidewalk on the main road. I got a signal and ended up digging all the pennies (that are in the pic with the keys). Somehow I believe that Eastcoasthunter21 snuck down overnight and planted the 168 cents. They were in a 2' x 2' area and just under the surface. I had to dig them all, hoping for an older wheatie. (He's threatened to do that to me). You know I just can't turn down free money. It's the largest spill (coin count) that I've ever dug.

NC Notable Finds

20160628_193157.jpg

2 pics of all my NC finds

20160628_192923.jpg 20160628_192945.jpg

On Monday I went to the park in Galax thinking I'd have plenty of surface finds from the Fireman's picnic/carnival that ended Saturday evening. I recon someone hit the site pretty well on Sunday, and when I arrived on Monday it was already being hunted by someone swinging an AT Pro. I was also stopped by another gentleman who has pounded this park for the past 20 years. At first I thought he was a park employee wanting to harass me, but he turned out to be a great guy. I only found 68 cents, most were surface finds. I then got permission to hunt a small house built in the 20's. I only pulled 4 memorial pennies, the lock, a bent spoon, and a lens for a camera. I then went to the old school in town and hunted it until the storms rolled in. I left the school with $0.91 in my pouch.

Galax VA Finds

20160628_190800.jpg

I have hunted with many great guys that I met here on Tnet. Tnet is an awesome community and who else better to hunt with than others obsessed with the passion for digging coins and old stuff. 8-)

I want to give a special thanks to Carolina Tom for allowing me to stay at his home over the weekend and for showing me some good ole southern hospitality. :notworthy: He's a hoot to hunt with and I must say he's not short on words.

As always, I hope ya'll got out and swung the coil :metaldetector: today.

GL & HH

Upvote 23

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad that you could slip down for a couple of days. I had a good time, just wish that we had found more, but it's always that way.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you were really busy in NC! Congrats on some nice finds, and thanks for sharing!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on a great time! I really like the medicine bottle. I was fooled in Memphis with one of those toy coins. I too thought I had a trime due to size!

metaldetkid

Apr 15, 2016
Fayetteville NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, and AT Pro, Ace 400
PINPOINTER: Garrett propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks buddie for cleaning up NC of Lincoln pennies. LOL :icon_thumright: I'm sure you had a blast doing it.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like they gave you some good old southern hospitality, LD. Diya eat any hominy there? I love hominy:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread