100% unsure Flat Buttons

Mark Grandle

Jun 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
012.JPG 013.JPG 015.JPG I'm new to metal detecting , started about a month ago. I found these 2 buttons the other day. Not sure what they are so I joined the group seems very interesting. Any one know what kind of buttons these are??

Upvote 6

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the first one says treble gilt...Probably a civilian button from early 1800s. Not sure but I think the other one is a bit older, late 1700s. Could be wrong thoigh

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The largest is a dandy button of 1750-80 & the smaller is a circa 1820s flat button.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The large one is a gilted dandy button - mid 1700's. I dug one almost identical to that just last week. The other button is early 1800's; again I've dug a lot of those. From what I've read, most of those were manufactured in England up until the 1830's and exported to America. American button manufacturing (companies like Scoville) started shortly thereafter.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And where buttons like that are coming up, something amazing might be dug.

Please read my How to Clean Buttons post in the cleaning and preservation section of the forum for more about different button types and cleaning/preservation methods.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions