Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

We had an ultra low tide this weekend so I set off on the yak to scout some coastal sites in the low country. While it was nice to get out on the water, the 107 degree "feels like" heat had me struggling. Recent erosion acts much like a plow in replenishing these particular sites so the scattered pottery and brick were a welcomed site. The first site was occupied by both union and confederate forces and while the targets were few and far between, I did manage to rescue a pair of Scovill Mfg (1850-1865) general service buttons from an inevitable death by salt water.

P7030296.JPG P7030297.JPG

The site also produced a few percussion caps as well as buck & ball. Interestingly enough I found this domed 1 piece button nearby. The surface was flaking badly, but I could see that the top had been hand etched-almost looks like an ironclad ship...I'll let you guys decide.

P7030298.JPG P7030301.JPG P7030302.JPG 20160703_163813.jpg

After a few productive hours I switched sites to a tried and true colonial trash pit. This particular site never seems to disappoint. First out was a ruff oval cufflink

P7030294.JPG P7030295.JPG

Among the other digs was a handful of flat buttons, drawer pull, and a mystery copper...thing? Kind of resembles a dandy button but with a conical shank

P7030299.JPG P7030300.JPG P7030303.JPG P7030304.JPG

My favorite dig of the day is also a rare one for the sites I hunt- a late 18th century dandy button. I have found dozens of the small copper/tombac/pewter buttons, but these larger variants just don't pop out of the surf. A bit of cleaning revealed the gilded basketweave design in the center. Not a George Washington button, but still looks great in the display :laughing7:

20160702_175556.jpg 20160702_175605.jpg

As I was dragging the yak back to shore I did eyeball a nice fossilized shark tooth...not quite the megaladon's I'll recovered in the past

P7030306.JPG P7030307.JPG

Here's a shot of the teeth that I've recovered in the last 2 years from the same stretch of shoreline

20160704_085438.jpg

All in all a nice day out digging in the mud and happy to start another streak of military buttons. Good luck out there!

P7030291.JPG P7030293.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 20

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a beautiful set of finds. I really dig the tooth. I used to pull them from bluffs on Martha's Vineyard but they were always white and brittle. That looks solid.

The dandy is a sweet find. And I agree, in my digs, I find maybe one dandy per **** - ton of regular flatties.

Congrats and great post

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beautiful set of finds. I really dig the tooth. I used to pull them from bluffs on Martha's Vineyard but they were always white and brittle. That looks solid.

The dandy is a sweet find. And I agree, in my digs, I find maybe one dandy per **** - ton of regular flatties.

Congrats and great post

Thanks Scrappy, this stretch of shoreline has produced about 10 teeth, a few monsters

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take flat buttons OVER most coins!! NOT all coins just some!!! Luv the teeth also. CONGRATZ

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some great finds as usual! nice work

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds Jon. The LC is a great place. Congrats

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging buttons never gets old and a large dandy like that is the best :thumbsup: I think I've only ever dug one that big and it was pretty awesome to see that beast in the dirt. Great hunt man with a nice variety of relics. That sharks tooth is pretty sweet too.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digging buttons never gets old and a large dandy like that is the best :thumbsup: I think I've only ever dug one that big and it was pretty awesome to see that beast in the dirt. Great hunt man with a nice variety of relics. That sharks tooth is pretty sweet too.

Thanks bud, nice handy work with the new sifter by the way. I've got a few sites that might lend themselves to sifting. How to you assess which sections of the site to pit... test holes?

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks bud, nice handy work with the new sifter by the way. I've got a few sites that might lend themselves to sifting. How to you assess which sections of the site to pit... test holes?

Thanks man! I keep all my hunt pictures in folders on my desktop and I just had the hardest time locating a picture I remember taking. Apparently the picture I wanted was still on my phone and I never even posted that hunt for you guys... which is a shame because a found a SICK etched tombac button on that day.

Anyway, here is the exact plug that caused me to sift the pit section with the tallio link! That coat button was stuck to the shell with that piece of pottery. It came out of the plug just as you see it in my hand. Typically I wouldnt have opened a section in this area because its not close to the main pit I have been working, but I'm glad I did. This picture was taken in March and I marked that plug then... the tallio link was within a few feet of that plug... but it was so deep and small, and there was so many nails, you could have never gotten it with a machine alone.

pit plug.jpg

Please sift! If you find a plug like this... or just a hole with a bunch of pottery and glass in it, open it up and have a blast.

*EDIT: I found it, my phone had the date wrong. It was in this post http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...elsior-ny-button-x2-engraved-tombac-more.html I had this picture in there and mentioned that I planned on sifting it.

Last edited:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is one more from last summer. If I remember correctly there was 2 or 3 buttons sitting in a large bowl fragment. This is how I typically find good sections to sift when I pull targets out with pottery\brick\glass\shell and LOT of nails. There was ash in there too... oh, and you can see a nail sticking out below the large button. I don't typically post these dirty pictures since my posts get too large as they are!

Untitled2.jpg

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds bud. Look forward to getting back out again soon.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yea a plug like that would definitely have me drooling. Most of the sites I hunt have assorted surface fragments, but I need to pay more attention after recovery of the target to what else is in the plug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread