What is your White Whale?

PA Sleuth

Nov 26, 2014
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E Trac, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out for a few hours at an old permission the other day. Too lazy to seek out a new permission, I hunted an area I have covered at least ten times, when Blamo, a 12-46, 1-41 on the Etrac at 6 inches. How did I miss this before? After digging a wide careful plug, out pops my White Whale! A Franklin Half!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467934484.562297.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467934511.160548.jpg

I wasn't going to post it, as proud as I was, because that was all I found in several hours of hunting. Then, last night I watched a Hoover Boys video on YouTube. He found a Barber Quarter and was nearly brought to tears, it was his White Whale. Got me thinking, while we all have dreams of finding 8 Reales, Chain Cents, Twenty Cent pieces, and Flowing / Draped Bust silvers, the chances of those being found in a career are slim. So for most of us, myself included, we have chosen an item or coin to be our realistic White Whale, maybe because we should have found it by now, but for some reason, the metal detecting gods think it is funny to withhold. Do you have a Realistic White Whale that eludes you?

By the way, a Shield Nickel is my new White Whale

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467934496.517409.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467934496.517409.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 586
Upvote 17

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It was a gold coin, then I found one an 1893CC eagle.

Then it was a silver dollar, I found one, a 1922 in the water

It was a rare penny, I found one a 1914D in fantastic shape.

It was a pistol, I now have two. A 22 derringer and a working 357 magnum

So realistically I am hoping for a canon or a machine gun that was lost underwater

OP
OP
PA Sleuth

PA Sleuth

Nov 26, 2014
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was a gold coin, then I found one an 1893CC eagle.

Then it was a silver dollar, I found one, a 1922 in the water

It was a rare penny, I found one a 1914D in fantastic shape.

It was a pistol, I now have two. A 22 derringer and a working 357 magnum

So realistically I am hoping for a canon or a machine gun that was lost underwater

Well, without your white whale history, I would have said your machine gun and or cannon goal would be lofty, but based on your track record, I see a banner in your future

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now my white whale is anything seated. My area doesn't have the richest history but seated definitely fits in. Ive found indians from the time period but the seated still eludes me. On the other hand, I would settle for a silver dollar

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Weird how things work, like I said, I have never found a silver dollar, but I have been blessed to find three Barber halves!

Yep, it really is crazy! I've dug a Morgan dollar, four Barber halves, SLQ's, Vickies, Edwards, Georges, Mercs, Barber dimes, Seated, probably 25 fishscales...not a Walker in sight.

One day it will happen, and I will bask in the warm glow of knowing I have conquered the one coin that is slowly driving me to the brink of insanity.

Ok that might be a tad dramatic....but I really want to dig one.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish Cobb for sure.

BlueVW

Jan 17, 2015
Cabot, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
White Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My white whale is a Standing Liberty Quarter or a V-nickel. I would be happy to dig one of them up. I don't think anyone around here lost any silver or gold dollars. Arkansas was a poor state.

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my unrealistic white whale is a 20$ Mormon gold coin because that is the kind of thing I have in Utah.

My white whale back in march was a silver coin and I was lucky enough to find a walking half as my first silver. Then it changed to a men's gold ring in April and a females by June. Now my white whale would probably be a 1969S double die (semi unrealistic) or a diamond ring. For whatever reason, diamonds don't like me.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now my white whale is anything seated. My area doesn't have the richest history but seated definitely fits in. Ive found indians from the time period but the seated still eludes me. On the other hand, I would settle for a silver dollar

I'm with rainorshine on this one. I've said many times on here that seated coins just don't seem to exist in my world. My ultimate bucket list coin is a 20 cent piece so I would LOVE to kill two birds with one stone!

Happy hunting all!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANY KIND OF TREE COIN - have been in fields where they been found - have hunted with no less than 5 other TH'ers who have found them -
have been in fields with guys - I was being nice and told them to head towards me cause they were not finding anything and I was getting colonial stuff and they found them right near me
- others hit fields I had permissions for and they did not and they found them
so close but no cigar
most of the other items people mentioned here I have found - 1877 IH, silver dollars, seated, bust, gold rings, diamond rings, gold coins, cobb, 1600s coin, t name a few

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats my white whale? A gold coin...any denomination or country origin...

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is possibly the best thread ever. Being my first year of detecting, for now just a barber of any denomination.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
US large cents are scarce around here. I have dug one but it was bent and had absolutely no detail on it. I know they're not worth much but that is my white whale as well as a seated silver anything. I myself would probably have to take a seat if I found one I would be so excited.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not, my elusive coin is the Franklin Half. I have Seated coins, Barber coins, 3 Morgans, Spanish silver, blah blah blah. ( Not bragging, just trying to give you an idea of how this coin has eluded me ). Do you think that in all these years of detecting I could have stepped over a Franklin by now !

OP
OP
PA Sleuth

PA Sleuth

Nov 26, 2014
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Believe it or not, my elusive coin is the Franklin Half. I have Seated coins, Barber coins, 3 Morgans, Spanish silver, blah blah blah. ( Not bragging, just trying to give you an idea of how this coin has eluded me ). Do you think that in all these years of detecting I could have stepped over a Franklin by now !

I guess if we could say we have found one of everything, the hobby would be less attractive. Who am I kidding, I would want two of everything!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A gold diamond ring.

I have found gold rings minus the diamond, gold plated silver rings with diamonds, gold rings with fake diamonds.
I just can't seem to find a "gold ring with diamonds".

I know they can be found i see them posted all the time, but that one eludes me...so far.

After that we'll work on the walking liberty half, gold coin, tree coins.....its a long list. :D

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
My current white whale is a walking liberty half dollar. I have been searching for one of these for probably 30 years now. Silver is very elusive here in Washington state. That said my unrealistic white whale/pipe dream continues to be a nice, heavy brick of gold. Dream big or go home! ☺

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Benji.
For me, it's the Holy Grail,, "A Gold Coin", but for now, a Silver Dollar will do.
Congrats on your bucket lister.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread