What is your White Whale?

PA Sleuth

Nov 26, 2014
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E Trac, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out for a few hours at an old permission the other day. Too lazy to seek out a new permission, I hunted an area I have covered at least ten times, when Blamo, a 12-46, 1-41 on the Etrac at 6 inches. How did I miss this before? After digging a wide careful plug, out pops my White Whale! A Franklin Half!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467934484.562297.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467934511.160548.jpg

I wasn't going to post it, as proud as I was, because that was all I found in several hours of hunting. Then, last night I watched a Hoover Boys video on YouTube. He found a Barber Quarter and was nearly brought to tears, it was his White Whale. Got me thinking, while we all have dreams of finding 8 Reales, Chain Cents, Twenty Cent pieces, and Flowing / Draped Bust silvers, the chances of those being found in a career are slim. So for most of us, myself included, we have chosen an item or coin to be our realistic White Whale, maybe because we should have found it by now, but for some reason, the metal detecting gods think it is funny to withhold. Do you have a Realistic White Whale that eludes you?

By the way, a Shield Nickel is my new White Whale

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467934496.517409.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467934496.517409.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 585
Upvote 17

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting for a long time. As a result, I've found a lot of stuff that might be a white whale, bucket list item. You can see some of this in the photos. I misplaced my flying eagle cent so it's not in the photos. I also forgot to put my silver dollar in with the silver coinage. When it comes to the white whale I've tried to eliminate those finds nobody is likely to make like a Brasher doubloon, although one of the 7 known examples was found in a cellar hole in Philadelphia in 1915. I have found a gold coin already anyway.

As I live in NY I'd like to find one of the early coppers from NY like an Excelsior cent, Indian w/eagle on globe, George Clinton cent etc. As you can tell from my photo, I've found most of the silver coinage from seated on up. I've even found a seated half dollar and half dime. Actually in seated dimes I've found all the major types from the first year of issue no stars obverse as well as the stars obverse, legends obverse and arrows at date. Although I've found older silver including pistareens, 2 reales, 1 real and half real, I've never found any bust silver. It's my white whale in silver. I'd like to find any bust silver, the larger the better (unless it happens to be an 1802 half dime). There you have it. Thanks for reading my wordy post. BTW, these are pretty high res photos so if you click on them a couple of times you can really zoom in.

DSC_0548 silver type.jpg 20160708_112521 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting for a long time. As a result, I've found a lot of stuff that might be a white whale, bucket list item. You can see some of this in the photos. I misplaced my flying eagle cent so it's not in the photos. I also forgot to put my silver dollar in with the silver coinage. When it comes to the white whale I've tried to eliminate those finds nobody is likely to make like a Brasher doubloon, although one of the 7 known examples was found in a cellar hole in Philadelphia in 1915. I have found a gold coin already anyway.

As I live in NY I'd like to find one of the early coppers from NY like an Excelsior cent, Indian w/eagle on globe, George Clinton cent etc. As you can tell from my photo, I've found most of the silver coinage from seated on up. I've even found a seated half dollar and half dime. Actually in seated dimes I've found all the major types from the first year of issue no stars obverse as well as the stars obverse, legends obverse and arrows at date. Although I've found older silver including pistareens, 2 reales, 1 real and half real, I've never found any bust silver. It's my white whale in silver. I'd like to find any bust silver, the larger the better (unless it happens to be an 1802 half dime). There you have it. Thanks for reading my wordy post. BTW, these are pretty high res photos so if you click on them a couple of times you can really zoom in.

View attachment 1334323 View attachment 1334324
I have found your white whale twice (Draped Bust Dimes x2) BUT....I have only ever found one seated silver....an 1890 dime. Imagine that!

My white whale would be a colonial gold coin.

Attachments

• Draped+Bust+Dimes+Front[1].jpg
    Draped+Bust+Dimes+Front[1].jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 74

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An engine cylinder head from the United flight 624 crash site.

Doodle Bug

Feb 4, 2013
At the moment, my white whale is a silver coin. I am just getting back into detecting. I use to have a bounty hunter land star but gave it up pretty quickly after a few hunts of trash, pull tabs and a few zinc pennies. I recently picked up a Teknetics Delta 4000. It seems quite comparable to the land star but has the vdi which I am hoping will help me dig a little less trash. I got out with my brother for a couple hours and came home with 14 cents in clad, a 4 inch section of copper pipe, some round head nails, some bottle tops and a beaver tail. I found the coins at the end of the hunt, so I am slowly starting to get a feel for what signals are being displayed. When in doubt, I dig. This will be my year to find silver!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing. You found multiple bust coins and only one seated. I've found 6 seated dimes so far this year and a couple of years ago even found a bust quarter and half dollar in the same hole, yet no bust coinage. I think we are both overdue. :)

Forgot to reply with quote, this was for Steve in PA

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing. You found multiple bust coins and only one seated. I've found 6 seated dimes so far this year and a couple of years ago even found a bust quarter and half dollar in the same hole, yet no bust coinage. I think we are both overdue. :)

Wheres the 3 cent nickel. :notworthy:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On top of that, I have found 65 Spanish silvers, over 100 large cents, around 25 half cents, and countless Indian heads....and yet only one seated silver.
It boggles my mind ???

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling the Franklin. My white whale is a Morgan.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wheres the 3 cent nickel. :notworthy:

That one eludes me and my three cent silver has a piece broken off. I'm surprised I haven't found a 3 cent nickel with all the shield and V nickels I've found. It's not a coin that high on my list as nickels usually come out of the ground like you, toasted :)

On top of that, I have found 65 Spanish silvers, over 100 large cents, around 25 half cents, and countless Indian heads....and yet only one seated silver.
It boggles my mind ???

I'm like you, I've found over 100 large cents, lots of state coppers and KG's and have yet to find any bust silver. I've also pulled hundreds of Indians and a lot of my seated coinage has come from the same areas as the Indians. With your finds I can't believe you haven't found more seated coinage.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Seated coin and any Reale.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found many items beyond my wildest imagination. I'm not sure I have a single white whale, but perhaps a few would be English hammered silver or gold (in the states of course), or hammered Mass silver.

I know I'm close.

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Congrats on the Benji.

Any Large Cent is my white whale. Been trying 40 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mentioned the Walker being a "white whale" coin for me. However, as far as relics go I have always wanted to dig anything related to the North West Mounted Police. This year it finally happened with my buttons. I think now I'm up to 17 of them now. That's another crazy thing- as soon as you find one of your dream items, more seem to follow much easier.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Great thread. I have a goal to dig a Walker this year, never found one.

I have dug a Morgan dollar, Barber quarter and half this year, so I am hot on the trail.

My white whale would be any gold coin.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a handful of my white whale (8Reales ) so now my new white whale is a seated anything.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading all of this I have a new White Whale...... Being grateful for all my past keepers and any future ones. And, may all of you and myself enjoy whatever we find next.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My current white whale is a V nickel. I can't believe I haven't dug one in over three years of metal detecting. I've found 7 buffalo nickels and 2 war nickels, but never found a V nickel. Not right! I've paid my dues! Give me a V nickel! LOL!

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing array of finds! And it reminds me I need to get a type album. Filling albums up with only detecting finds is one of the thrills I get after the hunt, when I search for dates even for wee and trashed modern nickels and such. My white whales (well, there a lot lol, but...):

a 3 cent piece, because that design is so unusual and cool:

ThreeCentsSilver.jpg

A standing liberty quarter, again what an awesome design:

standing-liberty-quarter1.jpg

And a gold coin. Maybe a 1933 $20 double eagle? Why not dream big? Plus it has another Lady Liberty. She was standing tall and being bold with some of the best-looking coins near the last turn of the century. She needs a coinage comeback and a new Augustus Saint-Gaudens in the mint. Some of the new park quarters are also fantastic, made by excellent sculptors. But we need more. Abe, George, Thomas, Franklin, hey you guys were great but just a cameo of your face isn't very novel art or inspirational.

1933-Double-Eagle.jpg

And I'm so happy I've found two walking liberty halves, another gorgeous coin design (with one badass stomping eagle on the back to boot). Lady Liberty kicks ass. And should again in modern coins, designed by a master artist. Lost my pictures of mind after my last computer died, but example:

walking-liberty-half-dollar-value.jpg

Was the last featured eagle the Ike? I've yet to find one and that's also on my bucket list. Very nice back side with the moon and EAGLE, who even attacks Moon or lands on it!! And considering the size of the curvature and craters, that eagle is hundreds of miles tall! We need more badass eagles and Lady Libertys! Less cameos and buildings.

1972-s_silver.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread