🥇 BANNER Last hunt with Iron Patch and claimed "Victory" - Rare early cufflink!

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
It was my last hunt in the Iron Patch stomping ground and we returned to the site where he had dug the Machin's Mills halfpenny and I was not left disappointed. In fact, I could not wait to get home before posting this one up! I've dug a few bits here and there this trip, enough for a decent post with yesterday and today, but sites are tough, so this find both saved the day and my hunt in general... as far as getting a good keeper on this trip.

Targets were much more plentiful than either of us had expected and about half way through our 4 hour hunt I dig this cufflink and seeing the anchors I knew immediately I had something good. I walked over and showed IP and said Navy?... he said no, not really. I then said Marines... and he said not that either and these don't seem to have been issued by the military. Then I handed them over and he said... "There's words on there, I've never seen that before! Not on a cufflink with an early anchor design" So that got my interest too. :tongue3: We could see a letter N, but I was clueless what it said. Later in the hunt IP got my attention and said that it's going to say Nelson! As in Horatio Lord Nelson! He said he had seen other patriotic cufflinks with British Royal Navy Admiral's names and he was very sure the N would be for Nelson, and he was right! Then at the car I said there was another word, and he said I bet it's going to be "Victory" ... and he was right again! Once back to his place he did a quick cleaning and I now have this rare and beautiful Navy associated cufflink to go in my collection. I really had no idea about this, but seeing his reaction it's all I needed to know I had something special. :headbang: Thanks again IP... you're the best, just never on the last hunt. :laughing7:

Late 1700s/early 1800s British Royal Navy - Lord Nelson Patriotic Victory cufflink.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20160714_184350.jpg
    thumbnail_20160714_184350.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 841
Upvote 62

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !! Great find! Congrats HH

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see this has been recognized for the great find it is! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
cerebus

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
All right! First banner, thx for all the votes��

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw the post last week, and here it is again up top!
Congrats on your first Banner!... May there be many more!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely incredible piece of history. Well Done!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Last hunt with Iron Patch and claimed "Victory" - Rare early cufflink!

Congratulations on your banner!

It certainly makes the itch to get out digging even more of a thing for me; but I know there's plenty more banner finds waiting in the dirt....just got to get my career to show me some leniency in a few more weeks!

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your banner!

It certainly makes the itch to get out digging even more of a thing for me; but I know there's plenty more banner finds waiting in the dirt....just got to get my career to show me some leniency in a few more weeks!

Amen brother!!!! I'm wrapping up a 78 hour week. We have so much work to do we cant possibly keep up. My company did 600 million in work last year. We are projected to do 800 million this year. It's staggering the amount of money being spent right now.
Ok enough about me and my work. I am so happy to see this go up top. These are the types of finds that I believe should always scroll across the top of the page. I may be a bit bias but these early and historically relevant items are the most special in my opinion. Congrats to the op and IP I truly hope you dig some stunners this year. The competition is fun but I'm always pulling for you guys to make some amazing finds. That's what it's all about. I just hope we all do well this season

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen brother!!!! I'm wrapping up a 78 hour week. We have so much work to do we cant possibly keep up. My company did 600 million in work last year. We are projected to do 800 million this year. It's staggering the amount of money being spent right now.
Ok enough about me and my work. I am so happy to see this go up top. These are the types of finds that I believe should always scroll across the top of the page. I may be a bit bias but these early and historically relevant items are the most special in my opinion. Congrats to the op and IP I truly hope you dig some stunners this year. The competition is fun but I'm always pulling for you guys to make some amazing finds. That's what it's all about. I just hope we all do well this season

If we get out enough no doubt we'll come across something. I'm pretty clueless for new ideas right now, but our old favorite sites are always good for a couple of hours after the plow... and we always seem to get on enough new places. Just takes a little more thinking and trial and error after so many years.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we get out enough no doubt we'll come across something. I'm pretty clueless for new ideas right now, but our old favorite sites are always good for a couple of hours after the plow... and we always seem to get on enough new places. Just takes a little more thinking and trial and error after so many years.

I know it's tough but it feels awesome when you take a shot at an area you have a gut feeling about and it pays off. One of my better spots had no record of settlement at all. But it just seemed like such a great spot to settle. It took some work but I finally hit the sweet spot and got a couple of Spanish(one being the cuff link), a Rev War era sling buckle and a couple of shoe buckles. Really nice feeling when it all works out. You just have to keep your head up through all of the misses and keep telling yourself it's just part of the process. You have to eliminate the bad ones to get to the good ones.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's tough but it feels awesome when you take a shot at an area you have a gut feeling about and it pays off. One of my better spots had no record of settlement at all. But it just seemed like such a great spot to settle. It took some work but I finally hit the sweet spot and got a couple of Spanish(one being the cuff link), a Rev War era sling buckle and a couple of shoe buckles. Really nice feeling when it all works out. You just have to keep your head up through all of the misses and keep telling yourself it's just part of the process. You have to eliminate the bad ones to get to the good ones.

The early sites continue to get tougher to find, but fortunately we have a lot from 1830 and up, so we'll always be able to dig holes. What I usually do is research places in the early 1800s, which my research can be very accurate because the references are good, and we hunt those and while in the area check the most likely spots that may have had an older house.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; You have my BANNER Vote. Congrats. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

You're only working 78 hours a week!
I guess some guys handle the long hours ....I'm logging just over a hundo these days, but that's the curse of being a seasonal business owner sometimes

Just a couple of months to go then I'll get an extended weekend lasting several months, also a curse of being a seasonal business owner

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your finds I need that Great job!!!!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A very rare and unique find for here in Canada! :occasion14:

Congratulations on your first BANNER too! :thumbsup:

Dave

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

2b.a.searcher

Feb 12, 2016
Burleson, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Pro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! You found two, were they near each other and how deep?

2b.a.searcher

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cerebus.. those look just like the button in my avatar,

Terrific find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread