oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 ltd
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to do more than scraping surface to get to this thing:
P1010007.JPG P1010009.JPG P1010010.JPG
The body is solid lead. The shackle has been cut and I can kind of make out the letters "H...A...uh, R...". So, the shackle is probably marked "HARDENED" and made of steel. Note no place for a key. The item is not a padlock and is constructed of lead metal. I think, most likely a crimp type security seal. A seal like they don't make today. Padlock shaped security items are now sold, but made of plastic.

The thing is old. I found the seal about one foot in ground here (arrow points to location):
DRIVEWAY3.jpg
At first I thought the road was only a driveway for the abandoned house located left side of picture. However, if you continue down the driveway the road turns to the left and continues for a quarter of a mile to end at extensive ruins...some of which I show here:
DSCF0508(2).jpg
The ruins are what is left of a lead and zinc ore processing plant. The ruins of many of these plants remain in this area...part of the tri-state mining district. So, the driveway was also used as a path from mine to processing plant. I'm thinking may have been used to security seal something used for mining or milling ore...dangerous?...dynamite? Okay, but the lead item was located at the boundary between chat and what would normally be ground surface. "Chat" is the name given to aquarium gravel size stone and what remains after extracting lead and zinc from ore. Based on my diggings--this area of northeast Oklahoma (into Kansas and Missouri) seems to be covered with an eight inch to twelve inch layer of chat. I'm talking about flat ground...forget about the huge tailings piles. Assuming the lead item did not sink through the chat to soil level, the thing was left on the ground before mining operations. I would estimate this would have to be before 1910.

Even though my dug up object is old and ugly and beat up, it represents one of the things I really like about metal detecting--the story imagined for a found object.

Oh yes, on the way to the ore processing ruins is located this:
DSCF0507(2).jpg
It did not take a whole lot of research to figure out the purpose of the structure.
Rusty

Upvote 10

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your lead seal relic find and thank you for the bodacious story (great details) & I wish you many more fantastic finds while out dirt fishin.

Texas ED

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like an awesome place to detect wow I am the same way love to imagine who and where the stuff I find comes from makes the hobby that much more fun lots of history out there. Good luck with more finds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that is an abandoned outhouse,, it might be a good to detect and/or bottle hunt.
If it is still an active privy,, be sure to bring some T.P. next time you visit. lol

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice seal find! I bet that place is loaded with goodies just waiting for your coil! :occasion14:

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old relic there and agree, that doing the research on an item and imagining its story is half the fun. I'd check around that old privy if it's not too trashy. Lots of traffic went there in years past.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The privy is the place to be ! ( In this circumstance ). I'd be looking all around there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread