Roman Coin from 2003

Travis1234

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2007
Hello! I have just stumbled on this web page and think this is the perfect place to ask! I found this coin in 2003, on a trip led by a professor to a field outside of Rome where he was able to show us all kinds of pottery fragments all over the ground and identify them for us. He told us this was also a place where many coins were found after rains. Several of us went back numerous times over the next few weeks, but I'm the only one who ever found a coin in the tilled soil, except for one kid who found an old telephone token with the year 195? printed on it. Can anyone here identify the coin I found??? I have wondered for years how old it is, and whether it is rare or common. Thanks!

Attachments

• coinfront.jpg
    coinfront.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 526
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 530
Upvote 0

Knipper

Jan 21, 2005
Rochester, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II Troy Shadow X-5
I can't make out the lettering, but from the portrait, it looks like emperor Bob Hope! ;)

Really, the resemblance is kind of funny...

Knipper

OP
OP
T

Travis1234

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks everyone! Just a few hours and you guys gave me enough info to figure it out. Turns out its a "Follis" produced by Maximus II between 305-308 AD. Not a particularly rare coin I gather, but I still think its one of the coolest things I've ever found.

Thanks Again!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the UK.

I would have been glad to have found that with a detector although I do pick up one or two 'eyes only' Roman coins.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! Now that's old! :D GREAT coin, Travis!! :o

Welcome to Tnet!!! :) Nana

OP
OP
T

Travis1234

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2007
thanks again for all the help and kudos!

jim, I actually did soak it for at least a month or two after I found it, which helped a great deal. I don't think its going to get any cleaner w/o a more damaging treatment, which I'd rather not use :)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, now why do I keep reading through these ancient coin finds... and Gunner is no where to be found??? He seems to be the best with ancient coins that I've seen here on T-Net... someone track him down and force him to read these threads more!! ;D

Bran <><

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Roman coins are great. It would be nice to find one. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread