Barber Half Dollar & an 1862 Boot Pistol to Boot

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t much time to post lately, but I never found a boot pistol or any type of gun and decided on taking the time for this quick post. The barrel and wooden grips sadly deteriorated away a long time ago. It’s a Frank Wesson .22 boot pistol, manufactured in Worcester, MA and dates to 1862. It was a concealed type weapon carried for personal defense. This site also offered up a Barber Half and a Barber Dime only 20’ apart in a field that was mostly overgrown, and yes – it’s got me thinking what else might be found if the field was cut low. The boot pistol was found on the other side of the property near a cellar hole.

I added a few more finds recovered so far this summer, but I also tossed in some interesting lead recoveries from a Continental Army campsite from the Revolutionary War; they were recovered back in the spring. I would like to post them as a catch-up post. I’ve been too much of a lurker lately. Good Hunting to all T-Net Members!

DSCN0290.JPG
pistol and coins as dug

PICTURES DOWNLOADED ON 7-17-16 010.JPG
pistol and coins after being treated

DSCN0291.JPG
Here's a non-dug Frank Wesson pistol. the internet is so awesome. I was able to ID the pistol in about five minutes, although it sat in the trunk of my car for the better of a day :tongue3: - I thought it was a kid's cap gun until I thought better of it recalling the heavy weight of the pistol's frame.

DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 044.JPG
A nice Liverpool Halfpenny Token - I dug this coin and the Liberty Seated dime below at the site where my GWI button was recovered back in 2014. Soil is quite forgiving of old coppers.

DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 040.JPG
reverse side of Liverpool token with crisp 1792 date

DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 028.JPG
1875 Liberty Seated dime

DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 030.JPG
My son spotted the Liberty Seated dime in the hole in about a nanosecond and snatched it up as fast as a rattlesnake strike.

PICTURES DOWNLOADED ON 7-17-16 012.JPG
My one and only love token. It's a bit strange - no reeded-edge and engraved on both sides.

PICTURES DOWNLOADED ON 7-17-16 013.JPG
Other side of love token.

temp 021.JPG
Lead balls from the Revolutionary War campsite. One of the balls had extraction marks from being pulled out of a barrel - jammed ball.

temp 032.JPG
Lead balls make into a whirlgig/buzzer and some very interesting finds - gambling chips. One was taco'd from a plow strike. My buddy invited me to this spot where he found quite a few chips, all of which were engraved with numbered marks - /, //, ///, etc.

Attachments

• DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 047.JPG
    DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 047.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 048.JPG
    DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 048.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 35

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The barrel would not have deteriorated. It is just missing. Nice silver and pictures

What is more interesting is I MIGHT have found a barrel for one here in a lake in Michigan. Never found the rest of the gun!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the Great finds! :occasion14:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a couple of STELLAR hunts there bud!!! Glad you got to mark a few off the Bucketlist. A luv token is HIGH on mine!!!! CONGRATZ...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That halfpenny token come out real nice!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds love the boot pistol

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The barrel would not have deteriorated. It is just missing. Nice silver and pictures

What is more interesting is I MIGHT have found a barrel for one here in a lake in Michigan. Never found the rest of the gun!

Thanks for the clarification on the missing barrel. Hopefully, I'll get back to that site, and who knows? Perhaps it can be found nearby, and if not - We could challenge each other to an arm wrestling match - your barrel for my frame; of course, I'm a bit frail so I need a stand-in to take my place. How about my pet gorilla? Does the top of your barrel match this photo.

1408webcat_img_58[1].jpg

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some amazing recoveries there. The token is my fav and its in beautiful condition.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is sweet piece of the old west My daughters are like rattle snakes with my rings Great amazing finds!!!!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the clarification on the missing barrel. Hopefully, I'll get back to that site, and who knows? Perhaps it can be found nearby, and if not - We could challenge each other to an arm wrestling match - your barrel for my frame; of course, I'm a bit frail so I need a stand-in to take my place. How about my pet gorilla? Does the top of your barrel match this photo.

View attachment 1337429

No writing on the top of my barrel. Also mine has a ridge on top that I thought yours had but doesn't look like it.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always love your finds bud. Those lead "chips" are fantastic. Love the boot pistol as well. Keep posting buddy. Always great stuff

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad I looked at this...the Liverpool coin, love token, and gambling chips are fantastic!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are some great finds

love the love token

HH Jer

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pistol is perfect display/conversation item.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread