ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The oilseed rape & barley harvest has begun.:occasion14:

....but we needed to finish the 10 acre grind field & that's what we did in just less than 2 hours. It produced 3 spectacle buckles & a few buttons.

After lunch we managed another 1 hour in a nearby field in the near 30 heat.:tongue1:

My best find was my first hammered Halfcrown (only got 1 other that Cru'Dad found) of Charles I. Civil war period, 1643-44 minted in York. Shame its broken but I'll take it.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Upvote 21

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding find Cru! Can't believe you haven't come across one of those before. As you know, we dug 2 whole ones at the site of the two scattered hammered silver caches apparently left behind by a gentleman who fled England just prior to the CW there. Very cool recovery, and the biggest cut coin I've ever seen (by far!).

In case you were interested in the 2 we dug, here they are flanked by a couple of shillings. One of the half crowns was heavily clipped, almost into a square shape. The other was complete.

hammered73.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find Cru! Can't believe you haven't come across one of those before. As you know, we dug 2 whole ones at the site of the two scattered hammered silver caches apparently left behind by a gentleman who fled England just prior to the CW there. Very cool recovery, and the biggest cut coin I've ever seen (by far!).

In case you were interested in the 2 we dug, here they are flanked by a couple of shillings. One of the half crowns was heavily clipped, almost into a square shape. The other was complete.

View attachment 1337954

Only the very rich handled these, that's why they don't get lost easily in random fields, specially as bad as the ones we were doing. It was not even good enough for medieval crops, as its heavy clay, only good for sheep grazing.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice work Cru! Great half crown and those spectacle buckles are killer.

Reiska

Aug 2, 2014
Detector(s) used
GM4 Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The other half is there somewhere. Looks like it didn't break very long ago.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first hammered half crown. BTW for those of you not familiar with Celsius temperatures 30 Celsius is 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Man I would kill for a day that cool here! Anything under 95 would be a welcome change.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW for those of you not familiar with Celsius temperatures 30 Celsius is 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Man I would kill for a day that cool here! Anything under 95 would be a welcome change.
That's what I keep telling myself here as the temps rise up to the upper-70's/lower-80's. :laughing7: The humidity has been killer though. But the WORST part this year, BY FAR, are the skeeters!! Can't walk outside without talking your life in your hands!

Crusader - Wow, that's one tiny bell!! ...Either that, or I don't want to know the size fish that weight would be used for! :laughing9:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the hammered halfcrown, I love that Charles I silver.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first hammered half crown. BTW for those of you not familiar with Celsius temperatures 30 Celsius is 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Man I would kill for a day that cool here! Anything under 95 would be a welcome change.

We are supposed to hit 33C (91.4F) this week and I am dreading it.

Last year I was detecting here with a guy from Texas and it was 36C. I was complaining about the heat, feeling drained from the sun beating down on me. The guy from Texas laughed and said "Yer hot? Dang, this ain't nuthin!".

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always look forward to your next dig. Love the half crown. Fine addition to your collection.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have had quite a few days here in SC where the high temp was 100 or more, and talk about high humidity! A week or so ago Dirtstalker and I detected a field in the middle of a day when it got up to 102. Guess we'll never learn.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some killer finds! Must have been a ton of fun! :occasion14:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm a Brit, also a Brit who never wastes my time in hot countries sun bathing. Always hated the sun. Much rather be in the rain.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are supposed to hit 33C (91.4F) this week and I am dreading it.

Last year I was detecting here with a guy from Texas and it was 36C. I was complaining about the heat, feeling drained from the sun beating down on me. The guy from Texas laughed and said "Yer hot? Dang, this ain't nuthin!".

It's why athletes need to acclimatize. I know what I like to compete in.:thumbsup:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a Brit, also a Brit who never wastes my time in hot countries sun bathing. Always hated the sun. Much rather be in the rain.

You sound like a vampire, but instead of blood you suck up silver.

I too prefer moderate temps although every year we go from +40 to -40. It's an annoying roller coaster ride.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I keep telling myself here as the temps rise up to the upper-70's/lower-80's. :laughing7: The humidity has been killer though. But the WORST part this year, BY FAR, are the skeeters!! Can't walk outside without talking your life in your hands!

Crusader - Wow, that's one tiny bell!! ...Either that, or I don't want to know the size fish that weight would be used for! :laughing9:

Its a massive sea fishing weight. The bells are standard size.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Halfcrown and have a good start in the new season! We cruised around yesterday only to find out that the most sites are still in crop. Only one available, still in stubble, and that was a site we gridded after the last plow. And we did good, other than a few bits of lead nothing found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread