War Of 1812 Light Artillery 1st Regiment Button

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Well after finding the 1774 Spanish 1/2 Reale yesterday, I couldn't wait to get back to the old woods today and continue my slow and deliberate hunt. After finding a flat button and some incidental bits of 19th century metal I got a reading in the mid 20's at 5 inches on my MXT. My first thought was it's a shotgun shell, and my second thought was maybe it's not a shell since it wasn't loud enough and it never got up to 35 on the VDI (like most shells do). Anyway, pulled the plug and recovered what I thought was just another flat button. Turning it over I saw the large letters in script with a one below. I knew it was military and thought I had found a Revolutionary War button, but after calling my friend who's a military expect, he identified it as a War Of 1812 Light Artillery 1st Regiment button. Definitely made my day.

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 497
  • button2.jpg
    button2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 462
Upvote 0

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is A great looking button. I thought the War of 1812 Officers button I found last year was nice and it is, I would love to find one like the one you found.

HH, Ringfinder

P.S. I found mine in Ohio and it's Stearling Silver plaeted

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent find and in beautiful shape....WTG and Congrat's!!!

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
scoutjim99 said:
WOW I wonder if a soak in olive oil or distilled water would help . that is an awsome button

Hey Jim,

I soaked the button earlier this evening in olive oil for about an hour. The short bath in the oil helped and it's definitely looking better than when I first found it. I heard here on treasurenet a while back, that soaking a coin or button for too long in olive oil can have a detrimental effect. So at this point I'm happy with the condition, and won't try cleaning it any further.

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
ringfinder said:
Wow, that is A great looking button. I thought the War of 1812 Officers button I found last year was nice and it is, I would love to find one like the one you found.

HH, Ringfinder

Hey Ringfinder,

If you still have a picture of it I'd really like to see it. Thanks.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookfisher said:
ringfinder said:

HH, Ringfinder

OK Book here it is.
Hey Ringfinder,

Attachments

• Reg. T button2.jpg
    Reg. T button2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 469
  • Reg. T button2.jpg
    Reg. T button2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 398
  • back of button.jpg
    back of button.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 401
OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
ringfinder said:
bookfisher said:
ringfinder said:

HH, Ringfinder

OK Book here it is.
Hey Ringfinder,

That's a really great button! Now that I've seen the picture, I do remember seeing it when you first posted it. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread