Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sundays hunt was exploratory and dedicated to digging those "odd" bouncy signals, which are normally are can slaw, but in dry soil conditions could be anything.

Donning my green Castro style cap & sweat band I started out in the shade digging the odd.

Some clad quarters read "dime/cent" at 4", possibly they were standing on edge. In some cases there was trash close by. A coin spill of a quarter, nickel, 2 dimes & 2 pennies bounced all over the coin range.

One signal was bouncing between dime & iron, turned out to be exactly that, a dime in the same hole with a piece of rusty iron.

The corroded zincs consistently read "bottle cap"
A "cent" with a very low VDI of 50 turned out to be the top part of a silver gilt button with a shield with a lion on it and "spectemur agendo" printed on the ribbon at the bottom.

The large flat rusty iron was bouncing all over from -95 to +95 with no other metal in the hole so it may have been the soil.

The lead items read solid "quarter" or "ring", slightly disappointing. :(
Then the little voice interjected it's self into the mix and said to head to the center of the field.
I really didn't want to go, it was hot out there with the sun blazing...but i went.

Not a lot of anything out there, even the trash was sparse. I told myself "ok, just make it to that little rise, then head back to the shade". I really wanted a gold ring but instead asked for something special.
I turned to head back and got a bouncy quarter reading 93 at 6".
When i dug it out, I was kinda surprised it wasn't orange like the other clad quarters....oh wait! It's not clad! It's a silver standing Liberty quarter, 1928!
My "something special" my first SLQ!

There was an odd surface find, the large box of matches. :what:
One of my cents turned out to be a "NH Dept of Transportation" tokens.

I was pouring sweat had to head to the truck & water.
I need to work on my pin pointing. Every move and minute counts when your out in the hot sun digging those "odd" signals!

Attachments

• 1469031064832.jpg
    1469031064832.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 156
  • 1469031126329.jpg
    1469031126329.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 34
OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful, full date, Standing Liberty Quarter. SLQ's are very hard to come by. One with a full date is quite an accomplishment.
Congratulations.

Thank you! I will have to plastic wrap it before i admire it any more, so i don't ware the date off. :D.
There was a monent of unbelief till i flipped it over and saw the eagle!.....its a good thing i'm not a "shouter" :eek:

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there's some distance between us but your one person I'd love to spend a day digging with.... Nice SLQ! Brad

Thank you Brad for those kind words! Ditto!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Congrats on your SLQ, and kudo's for taking time just to dig marginal signals.

Glad it paid off.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first SLQ . I bet you will remember that exact spot forever

Thanks! Yep! Its 10 feet from the rise. to the SW.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your SLQ, and kudo's for taking time just to dig marginal signals.

Glad it paid off.

Thanks! The dry dirt has an effect on some of the readings and i was trying to gain a better understanding of that, plus pass that info onto anyone who found it usefull.
When the ground is wet the signals are clear and solid with the exception of two targets together.
There is so much in the ground that effects the readings we get, and this is an extremly trash filled area.
Alot of times the solid quarter readings are deeper large metal, not a SLQ. :D

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a rewarding experiment. I was going to say fun and rewarding, but thinking about that heat took the "fun" part out. I should be at the lake in this heatwave, but I am huddled in air conditioning. Ain't going to find anything that way.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I maintain that the SLQ is THE most beautiful coin ever minted. Well done on saving that beaut and adding it to your stash!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, digging those bouncy signals usually means a LOT more work and usually much more trash. BUT.....that one special find is all that is needed to make it all worthwhile. Really do have to get efficient in your pinpointing as well. Cuts the work by a lot!

Congrats!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations my friend- I couldn't be happier for you!! I collect that series so I always look forward to seeing them posted, but for you to nab yourself one, WITH a date, in the hot sun- just simply a great find for a great person!!

-- Jeff --

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and a great lecture on the "odd" hunt. Funny, I did the same today and will post the goodies in a little while. Now is the time in history, with so many detectorists in the hobby, for us veterans to hunt the "odd" and hope for the precious metals! Dare not pass over the penny signal, so sayeth the Sub! 8-)

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; CONGRATS on the SLQ. !!! The SLQ is the hardest of all US coins to find because they melted a lot down for the War. It's been about 2 years since I got one. CONGRATS. Me, Over 80F and I'm hugging the AC. We are gonna die this weekend. Heat Dome over Boston & MA. Gonna be in the 95F to 100F PLUS with the Heat Index. You know where I'll be. I admire your tenacity. Way to go. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a rewarding experiment. I was going to say fun and rewarding, but thinking about that heat took the "fun" part out. I should be at the lake in this heatwave, but I am huddled in air conditioning. Ain't going to find anything that way.

This coming weekend will also be a steamer! Time to break out the ice packs!
One of these days i will make it into the water "with" a detector, m-6 only wades.

Susan you can always do a little CRH in air condotioned comfort. Or dig into the whats its box for a little "rediscovery".
I was surprised once to find a 925 bracelet in mine this past winter.
This is the hobby that keeps on giving! :D

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I maintain that the SLQ is THE most beautiful coin ever minted. Well done on saving that beaut and adding it to your stash!

SLQ and the Walker half real beauties!
I was so unprepared to find anything like the SLQ, that i thought it was a forigen coin at first. Lol.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on your first! I never get tired of finding them. Glad you found one with a date and I am sure it brought a nice smile to your face.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, digging those bouncy signals usually means a LOT more work and usually much more trash. BUT.....that one special find is all that is needed to make it all worthwhile. Really do have to get efficient in your pinpointing as well. Cuts the work by a lot!

Congrats!

And you are the guy i have to thank for prompting the discovery hunt!
Your trips to the Mansion going over ground and listening for those not so clear signals, tweaking the detector to accept what normally would be rejected...worked well for ya. So i borrowed a page from WHADIFIND's book of detecting, and i must admit...i felt a little like Blingie when i figured out what the shinny, shinny was! :D

And yes my pin pointing needs work!....any tips?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know there's some distance between us but your one person I'd love to spend a day digging with.... Nice SLQ! Brad

ahem, she's married Brad!

another person who finds better stuff than I!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the SLQ!

Nice change of hunting techniques produced positive results! :occasion14:

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations my friend- I couldn't be happier for you!! I collect that series so I always look forward to seeing them posted, but for you to nab yourself one, WITH a date, in the hot sun- just simply a great find for a great person!!

-- Jeff --

Thank you! This was the "special surprise" i had ask for. That it has a date on it was like finding two!
If it was not for guidance i would not have found the SLQ, or the gold ring i found in May, or several orher nice surprises.
Listening is the key.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and a great lecture on the "odd" hunt. Funny, I did the same today and will post the goodies in a little while. Now is the time in history, with so many detectorists in the hobby, for us veterans to hunt the "odd" and hope for the precious metals! Dare not pass over the penny signal, so sayeth the Sub! 8-)

Thanks!
Amen on that one! One of my "penny" signals at the beach was a good size 14K pendant!

Looking forward to your post!

I had to pass up the zinc signals on the way back to the truck. I didn't want to be featured as a heat stroke victim on the news.
Will check them out later tho.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; CONGRATS on the SLQ. !!! The SLQ is the hardest of all US coins to find because they melted a lot down for the War. It's been about 2 years since I got one. CONGRATS. Me, Over 80F and I'm hugging the AC. We are gonna die this weekend. Heat Dome over Boston & MA. Gonna be in the 95F to 100F PLUS with the Heat Index. You know where I'll be. I admire your tenacity. Way to go. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Thank you! I was happy to score any silver but this was special!
I know, its going to be a real challenge to even get out there this weekend. I'll have to take the cooler and a couple of ice packs for my neck, and hug the trees!
My hunting time is very limited so when i can, i will detect!
Thats probably why the rest of the family thinks i'm a nut....but then i have all of you that don't....well, only in a good way. :sly: :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread