Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sundays hunt was exploratory and dedicated to digging those "odd" bouncy signals, which are normally are can slaw, but in dry soil conditions could be anything.

Donning my green Castro style cap & sweat band I started out in the shade digging the odd.

Some clad quarters read "dime/cent" at 4", possibly they were standing on edge. In some cases there was trash close by. A coin spill of a quarter, nickel, 2 dimes & 2 pennies bounced all over the coin range.

One signal was bouncing between dime & iron, turned out to be exactly that, a dime in the same hole with a piece of rusty iron.

The corroded zincs consistently read "bottle cap"
A "cent" with a very low VDI of 50 turned out to be the top part of a silver gilt button with a shield with a lion on it and "spectemur agendo" printed on the ribbon at the bottom.

The large flat rusty iron was bouncing all over from -95 to +95 with no other metal in the hole so it may have been the soil.

The lead items read solid "quarter" or "ring", slightly disappointing. :(
Then the little voice interjected it's self into the mix and said to head to the center of the field.
I really didn't want to go, it was hot out there with the sun blazing...but i went.

Not a lot of anything out there, even the trash was sparse. I told myself "ok, just make it to that little rise, then head back to the shade". I really wanted a gold ring but instead asked for something special.
I turned to head back and got a bouncy quarter reading 93 at 6".
When i dug it out, I was kinda surprised it wasn't orange like the other clad quarters....oh wait! It's not clad! It's a silver standing Liberty quarter, 1928!
My "something special" my first SLQ!

There was an odd surface find, the large box of matches. :what:
One of my cents turned out to be a "NH Dept of Transportation" tokens.

I was pouring sweat had to head to the truck & water.
I need to work on my pin pointing. Every move and minute counts when your out in the hot sun digging those "odd" signals!

Attachments

• 1469031064832.jpg
    1469031064832.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 156
  • 1469031126329.jpg
    1469031126329.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 34
OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahem, she's married Brad!

another person who finds better stuff than I!

Lol!

Jeff your part of the riches are out there! One of these days your going to really impress us all with a truly awesome find!
....uh hmm...just remember where you heard that, ok?

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Your second SLQ will probably come much faster. That's usually the way it happens.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your story, Ms...........
1928 was a very good year.....for you, today. Outstanding SLQ find!! And that cent turning out to be a token is a great break, too.........no doubt they are rarer than the cents! Congrats..........:thumbsup:

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet silver ! Congrats on your first !
Glen

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I also went out today will be 95 and humid here in Michigan tomorrow I hope I have the same luck as you Thanks for sharing your story and finds Great job!!!!!!!@

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your SLQ. Great find and great plan digging " the odd ".

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you are the guy i have to thank for prompting the discovery hunt!
Your trips to the Mansion going over ground and listening for those not so clear signals, tweaking the detector to accept what normally would be rejected...worked well for ya. So i borrowed a page from WHADIFIND's book of detecting, and i must admit...i felt a little like Blingie when i figured out what the shinny, shinny was! :D

And yes my pin pointing needs work!....any tips?

Glad I could be of help.

I wish I had more experience on more machines so I might have a tip or two on pinpointing on all of them.
For you see, there are too many out there who just "get close" and then just dig a much too wide of a plug
to make up. Large plugs are are harder to blend into the ground again.

What I do with the ATP is to de-tune the machine by pushing the pinpoint button closer and closer to the target. So,
I get a shorter, more compact, exact signal. That way the area is much more specific. Then, I find the loudest point and
drag the coil toward me. When it drops off, I know the signal is directly in front of the coil. (Deeper signals are sometimes
right under the very front of the coil.) My average size plug is around 3-4 inches across. I do take a bigger risk of hitting
the target with my digger but it's better for the long term of this hobby. (IMHO)

One other thing, if you're using a Garrett Pro Pointer, don't be afraid to use the coin trick and check that signal before you dig! You just may be surprised. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Your second SLQ will probably come much faster. That's usually the way it happens.

Thanks! Ya, these finds seem to come in waves, one person finds one and they start popping up everywhere!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW I LOVE IT! I'm so glad your first SLQ has a date on her. Congrats Beeps, I'm also glad I took the time to find your thread. Digging in the sun can be dangerous, I suggest you wake up very early and go hit that same spot at day break. Then go home and take a nap. I'm claming with that you will find that gold ring digging all those iffy signals. (just a pin pointing tip) start at top of hole pointing severally at edge of hole and work around and down.
Good luck and drink lots of water, I'm very happy for you!

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your story, Ms...........
1928 was a very good year.....for you, today. Outstanding SLQ find!! And that cent turning out to be a token is a great break, too.........no doubt they are rarer than the cents! Congrats..........:thumbsup:

Thanks! I try to put a little fun with the finds.
Similar NH tokens are going for $1.99 and so are buttons like the one i found the top half of.
Been googling stuff trying to improve my e-skills. :D

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet silver ! Congrats on your first !
Glen

Thank you! Yep, silver sure is pretty when comes up for air after a long dirt nap

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a rewarding experiment. I was going to say fun and rewarding, but thinking about that heat took the "fun" part out. I should be at the lake in this heatwave, but I am huddled in air conditioning. Ain't going to find anything that way.

GET IN THE LAKE!
ha, lol

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I also went out today will be 95 and humid here in Michigan tomorrow I hope I have the same luck as you Thanks for sharing your story and finds Great job!!!!!!!@

Thank you!
Take lots of water with you!
I hope you find a cache of silver!

We'er going back into the 90's for the next 4 days...another HOT Sunday!....all we need is fudge! :D

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on your first SLQ!!! What a great hunt! I love to find cool tokens like that and the SLQ is still on my bucket list. Keep up the good work! :hello2:

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your SLQ. Great find and great plan digging " the odd ".

Thank you! I would love to grid this place, but there is soooo much metal in the ground, i'd probably have to replant all the grass after! So odd was in!

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratz on your first SLQ!!! What a great hunt! I love to find cool tokens like that and the SLQ is still on my bucket list. Keep up the good work! :hello2:

Thanks! These things come in waves so get ready to find your SLQ!
This is the kind of "work" i love!
I like the odd signals they're always something different.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW I LOVE IT! I'm so glad your first SLQ has a date on her. Congrats Beeps, I'm also glad I took the time to find your thread. Digging in the sun can be dangerous, I suggest you wake up very early and go hit that same spot at day break. Then go home and take a nap. I'm claming with that you will find that gold ring digging all those iffy signals. (just a pin pointing tip) start at top of hole pointing severally at edge of hole and work around and down.
Good luck and drink lots of water, I'm very happy for you!

Thanks treb! Ya i will have to do something to beat the heat this Sunday...95! Gonna wrap a little ice pack on my neck too.

This field is awesome! I need to carefully hunt the middle, in about a 60 X 60 ft. area.
I know theres other stuff there.
Thanks for the pin pointing tip, i will try that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread