Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sundays hunt was exploratory and dedicated to digging those "odd" bouncy signals, which are normally are can slaw, but in dry soil conditions could be anything.

Donning my green Castro style cap & sweat band I started out in the shade digging the odd.

Some clad quarters read "dime/cent" at 4", possibly they were standing on edge. In some cases there was trash close by. A coin spill of a quarter, nickel, 2 dimes & 2 pennies bounced all over the coin range.

One signal was bouncing between dime & iron, turned out to be exactly that, a dime in the same hole with a piece of rusty iron.

The corroded zincs consistently read "bottle cap"
A "cent" with a very low VDI of 50 turned out to be the top part of a silver gilt button with a shield with a lion on it and "spectemur agendo" printed on the ribbon at the bottom.

The large flat rusty iron was bouncing all over from -95 to +95 with no other metal in the hole so it may have been the soil.

The lead items read solid "quarter" or "ring", slightly disappointing. :(
Then the little voice interjected it's self into the mix and said to head to the center of the field.
I really didn't want to go, it was hot out there with the sun blazing...but i went.

Not a lot of anything out there, even the trash was sparse. I told myself "ok, just make it to that little rise, then head back to the shade". I really wanted a gold ring but instead asked for something special.
I turned to head back and got a bouncy quarter reading 93 at 6".
When i dug it out, I was kinda surprised it wasn't orange like the other clad quarters....oh wait! It's not clad! It's a silver standing Liberty quarter, 1928!
My "something special" my first SLQ!

There was an odd surface find, the large box of matches. :what:
One of my cents turned out to be a "NH Dept of Transportation" tokens.

I was pouring sweat had to head to the truck & water.
I need to work on my pin pointing. Every move and minute counts when your out in the hot sun digging those "odd" signals!

Attachments

• 1469031064832.jpg
    1469031064832.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 156
  • 1469031126329.jpg
    1469031126329.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 34
OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats on your first SLQ... and with a date on it. That is a hard coin to find, I'm glad you were the one to find it.

Best of luck to you ma'am!

Thank you Tom! I didn't believe what i was seeing at first, till i flipped it over and saw the eagle, then flipped it back and could see a date!
Definately worth the work!
Best if luck to you sir!

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG MSB! As I have said before "any SLQ" you can read the date on is a goof find'. HH, Q.

Thank you Quindy! Of all the dateless coins i have found, i'm so glad this is the "one" with a date! It has a lot of wear & tear on it...but oh so pretty!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread