relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of all the wonderful things that I have found a colonial copper has eluded me. Moreover I always wanted to find a state copper but I did not think my chances were very good in Southwest Pennsylvania. Well the myth is dispelled with this well circulated Connecticut copper. Today I went back to the place where I found a railroad lock it was severely overgrown so I just followed Deer Paths I would have been happy to find anything old. After three and a half hours of using my Minelab as a weed wacker I spotted an eroded embankment on the other side of a stream where it looks like I could at least swing my detector. Crossing the stream I sank into the mud and swamped one of my boots but I kept going. First Signal was this thin flat smooth looking disc I thought it was a Dandy button. But then I spotted the left facing bust. After that I could not concentrate much on hunting so I packed it up came home and cleaned her up. I knew it was colonial on the way home but after a little bit of Careful Cleaning with peroxide I was able to read the Connecticut part. Have been on cloud nine ever since. Included is a shot of the undergrowth I was hunting in. The back of the coin is completely toast so I cannot get a date. I cannot seem to find an exact match in my coin book but it looks close to the 1788. Any help with identification would be greatly appreciated I know very little about Colonial or state coppers.

Attachments

• 1469058341175.jpg
    1469058341175.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 138
  • 1469058375628.jpg
    1469058375628.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 1469058390067.jpg
    1469058390067.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 135
  • 1469058399908.jpg
    1469058399908.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Upvote 14

colonialct

Oct 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miller 14.2-A.2 is my guess - 1788 . Great find

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the old copper recovery! :occasion14:

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the responses everyone. I forgot to mention one more interesting detail about the dig. This coin was practically on the surface I never had to dig or get on my knees I was brushing away the leaf Litter with my hand and ended up with this coin in my hand. No digging tool needed LOL

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first State Copper. They are definitely here in SW PA. I have found 6 NJ, 3 VT, 5 VA, and at least a dozen CT. Keep looking and they will turn up.

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first State Copper. They are definitely here in SW PA. I have found 6 NJ, 3 VT, 5 VA, and at least a dozen CT. Keep looking and they will turn up.

Holy guacamole you get around. You mean they were around until you came along LOL. I am setting my sights on a New Jersey copper next. I really love the look of them.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding!! And a surface find to boot!! Ya just never know.............:thumbsup:

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding!! And a surface find to boot!! Ya just never know.............:thumbsup:

As odd As It Seems I also found a 1798 draped bust large cent on the surface within 20 yards of where I found this coin on the embankment two or three years ago. It was on a dirt pile next to a Cellar hole on the flat area above the embankment. Also found a really nice Civil War infantry button on the surface at the same Cellar hole. I am starting to think someone else metal detected here and just tossed anything they did not recognize. The only thing else I can figure is that this land gets flooded once or twice a year. It is right next to the river. I'm not sure how but that may possibly have an effect.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your bucket list find. Is it possible that the erode embankment was a trail or crossing at some point in time?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done. Congrats on the state copper!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great find. Congrats on your double bucket list with one coin.

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your bucket list find. Is it possible that the erode embankment was a trail or crossing at some point in time?

Actually there is an old Foundation on the flat part above the embankment. I hunted it to death for years until I could not get any signals anymore. But I never thought of detecting such a steep embankment. I've been hunting across the railroad with no success and struggling in the High weeds that's when I noticed the embankment had some bare spots I figured anything would be better than where I was. It definitely paid off 3 hours of bushwhacking with nothing to show followed by 5 minutes on the embankment with instant success. I will definitely be returning. Definitely not a road or crossing where I was at it was so steep l was practically digging at eye level

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions