My Cardboard Sign Read, "Will Sweat For Silver."

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I must confess that I did not have a cardboard sign, but the message was real! Heat index up to 100 degrees today but I just dressed for it like a Bedouin Nomad. You know those days when it is so hot that the perspiration dripping off of your eyelids fills the lens of your sunglasses and you can't see? Yeah, that hot! Not to be dissuaded, I hit one of the oldest parks in the big city near me, and went to the outlying areas, softball diamond, tennis courts, and basketball court. I found three rings, one thin beveled one with traces of gold plating just outside of the chain link fence surrounding the tennis court. I found an old plated and inlaid brass ring out in right fielder's position on the softball diamond. The score of the day was a nice, big (5.2 grams) sterling silver wedding band near the center fielder's position on the softball diamond. It is marked ".925 FC" It rang up an 86 at 2" on the ATPro.

softballsilver1.JPG softballsilver2.JPG

Also out in center field, I found an intact bullet. Don't know if it is USA or foreign, but the headstamp reads, " TOC/79/FS/ 1942" Looks to be about a 30-30 or .30-06 caliber? Maybe our bullet guys can enlighten me. This neighborhood is not so rough that the center fielder would have to pack heat...

softballsilver4.JPG softballsilver5.JPG

Lastly, while swinging the edges of the paved basketball court, I found a matching pair of silver plated earrings, both missing only the center stone, :icon_scratch:
Caveat...they were about 50 feet apart from each other, on opposite sides of the court!?!?!?!? Must have been one heck of a game...:laughing7:

softballsilver3.JPG

Thanks for peeking once again, everyone stay hydrated and keep the sun off of the back of your neck (old desert trick.) Happy Hunting to all! Sub 8-)

Upvote 17

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sub; My cardboard sign reads, "Silver makes me sweat." :laughing7: I simply don't know how ANYONE can go digging in 100F heat. I die at 80F. I learned as I got older that digging is NOT an Endurance Contest.!!! :dontknow: :tongue3: I admire your tenacity. I just wonder about your Sanity.!! :laughing7: Great finds. HH. PEACE:RONB

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hit some targets that would have made my hunt. I have been avoiding the heat by not going out, lol.
Congrats on the silver ring.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's 85° here today. I went to the mailbox! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have learned that the bullet is WW2 Turkish 8mm Mauser. :dontknow:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi kcm; Your pushing the limits huh??? :laughing7: Smart move ATW. That rounds gotta be for target practice or something like that. It's cool. About the only thing other than the rings thatv was cool huh Sub ?? :icon_scratch: :laughing7: PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Sub. I like that ring. I find "heat" casings and bullets over here, but they are usually of the pistol kind !

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job I love finding rings Its pretty hot here in Michigan todat we got this Art fair thing going on tons of traffic ect I was going to get out after work but it rained hard and wasn't supposed to rrrrhhh!!Great finds

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did sweat it out....nice bling!
Heat index over a hundred? Welcome to my world...it is that everyday down here, will be till late Sept.

Best way to hunt in the heat....
Get those cool fit arm bands, like baseball players wear, I prefer white. These will be not only your sunblock for arms, but also make you look ok like a bad a$$. Sunblock spray on the back of your neck, but not so much that it chokes you...
A wide brim hat, that has mesh along the top to vent your heat. A small towel to wipe sweat, and a packed cooler with 3 bottles of water, 2 gatorades, and a beer(for when you are done hunting) Drinking beer in the heat during a hunt is stupid. I always wear lightweight shorts, literally for fishing. They have UV protection, along with a dry fit golf shirt, also with UV protection. Finally, I wear just one mesh knee pad, on my right knee. 2 knee pads are too much...if
I need to get on both knees to recover a target, it ain't worth it.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will detect for detritus..... hireable for lost heirlooms..... absolutely silly searches for silver.....or, whatever it takes.......btw, giddy over gold.

OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sub; My cardboard sign reads, "Silver makes me sweat." :laughing7: I simply don't know how ANYONE can go digging in 100F heat. I die at 80F. I learned as I got older that digging is NOT an Endurance Contest.!!! :dontknow: :tongue3: I admire your tenacity. I just wonder about your Sanity.!! :laughing7: Great finds. HH. PEACE:RONB

LOL Barker! The guys at my metal detecting club ask if I'm an "adroid." I am almost 57, retired, still in reasonable shape, and a volunteer firefighter. It is actually great training for endurance at fire scenes. I hydrate and dress for it, seriously. Best thing, no one else is around....just me and my ATPro... Sub 8-)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Three nice ring finds! :occasion14:

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sign reads, "If found dead, please do not notify my wife. She thinks I'm at work!" :laughing7: Congrats on some nice finds, Sub. That silver ring looks huge!

OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sign reads, "If found dead, please do not notify my wife. She thinks I'm at work!" :laughing7: Congrats on some nice finds, Sub. That silver ring looks huge!

LOL Tommy G! Thanks, Sub 8-)

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Sub. Nice hunt. That sterling ring would definitely make my day, probably my month in fact. I have found many ear rings but never a matching set, very odd they were not in the same vicinity...maybe after losing the 1st one the other was tossed.

Finds like that make it worth the heat of the day. The weather you describe is the norm here in FL but it helps keep the weight off and makes the post hunt beer memorable.

Hope your luck continues. C9

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did sweat it out....nice bling!
Heat index over a hundred? Welcome to my world...it is that everyday down here, will be till late Sept.

Best way to hunt in the heat....
Get those cool fit arm bands, like baseball players wear, I prefer white. These will be not only your sunblock for arms, but also make you look ok like a bad a$$. Sunblock spray on the back of your neck, but not so much that it chokes you...
A wide brim hat, that has mesh along the top to vent your heat. A small towel to wipe sweat, and a packed cooler with 3 bottles of water, 2 gatorades, and a beer(for when you are done hunting) Drinking beer in the heat during a hunt is stupid. I always wear lightweight shorts, literally for fishing. They have UV protection, along with a dry fit golf shirt, also with UV protection. Finally, I wear just one mesh knee pad, on my right knee. 2 knee pads are too much...if
I need to get on both knees to recover a target, it ain't worth it.

Hello BWD. Well said, I do many of the same things to combat the almost never ending FL heat. I never wear shorts though...too many ticks, thorns, and unexpected lacerations where I tend to hunt. You are correct regarding a POST hunt beer, it is never wise to imbibe during the hunt.

Good Luck and stay cool out there. C9

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread Y'all.
Very Nice finds 'Sub It's been hot here but not as hot as in the mid West & The West (As they say in the west "it's a dry Heat At-least" but 95 -96 o here all week W/Index about 100 o.

It's def good conditioning .
&
No beer allowed in my Body ! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions