HARVEST TIME - 1st of the Barley Stubble Fields...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The harvesting of the oilseed rape & Barley started about a week ago. So our 'open' season has begun at least.8-)
The negative side is all the oilseed rape is out of bounds until the stalks are turned in & the 3 Barley Fields are all low priority fields with no sites.
Today we started on our best option for the odd Roman find, its about 300 metres from a Roman Site that's in the neighbouring Wheat Field.
In just less than 5 hours of loose gridding we had 4 Roman Coins, which is about equal to all our other previous attempts added up.
What was a nice change is that it's not a heavy clay field & this sandy land had some recent rain on it, a joy to dig, & there was plenty of junk to clear.

4 Roman Coins
Crotal Bell
17th C Button
Medieval Lead Spindle Whorl
Tudor Buckle with pin
1880 Sixpence
Charles I Halfpenny (I dug in the first 5 minutes - kiss of death)
Bits...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 103
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Upvote 15

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Cru, and yes - good finds in the first few minutes is the kiss of death. Occasionally when that happens to me m, and the find is good enough, I go home after checking the immediate area.

Great finds and buckle

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds always wonderful to see what you find .

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crusader all I can say is that is a bunch of bodacious finds and "congrats" to you on the old coins - buttons & relics and you guys in England have a lot of history and great sites to dirt fish - anyway thank you for your pictures and story & I wish you many more.

Texas ED
S/E Texas Gulf Coast

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding relic and coin hunt! :occasion14:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here, Cru. We have a oilseed rape field i'll try tomorrow as the stalks break easily. (It was 3 weeks past due) Still not nice to detect and also some distance to a (small) roman settlement. The hammered is nice, a complete spectacle buckle in plowed soil is a good find, harvest is in full swing, i bet it doesn't take long you make some killer finds again!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always look forward to seeing your finds, Crusader; and you did not disappoint. My hunts are somewhat suspended at the moment waiting for hay cuts, so it is nice to see what's turning up in other parts of the world. Thanks for sharing!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you had an enjoyable day digging in the easy soil and with some great finds as well. I think it goes without saying how tiny your Charles silver is. It makes our fishscales and half dimes look huge.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader all I can say is that is a bunch of bodacious finds and "congrats" to you on the old coins - buttons & relics and you guys in England have a lot of history and great sites to dirt fish - anyway thank you for your pictures and story & I wish you many more.

Texas ED
S/E Texas Gulf Coast

Thanks.
We have found lots of great sites, this is not one of them. But it was fun & plenty of great signals, & a chance at any random find from any period.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here, Cru. We have a oilseed rape field i'll try tomorrow as the stalks break easily. (It was 3 weeks past due) Still not nice to detect and also some distance to a (small) roman settlement. The hammered is nice, a complete spectacle buckle in plowed soil is a good find, harvest is in full swing, i bet it doesn't take long you make some killer finds again!

I thought my arms were strong, but you can break 3 week old oilseed rape stalks! Germany must grow weak stalks...lol

Good luck, I know it won't be long before your good finds flow....

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always look forward to seeing your finds, Crusader; and you did not disappoint. My hunts are somewhat suspended at the moment waiting for hay cuts, so it is nice to see what's turning up in other parts of the world. Thanks for sharing!

We have had the first hay cut already (some weeks ago), but we only have only about 2% grass out of circa 30,000 acres. Ploughed is our preferred option.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Cru, and yes - good finds in the first few minutes is the kiss of death. Occasionally when that happens to me m, and the find is good enough, I go home after checking the immediate area.

Great finds and buckle

I knew it might be my best find, but I always live in hope that its going to be one of those exceptional days, even on a average field. Ever the optimist.:icon_thumright:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done Cru. Glad to see you out finding some goodies. that little buckle is really sweet. Congrats.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought my arms were strong, but you can break 3 week old oilseed rape stalks! Germany must grow weak stalks...lol

Good luck, I know it won't be long before your good finds flow....

LoL! The farmer told me end of June for harvest, but it took longer to get the combine rent because of barley harvest. That was more important. With that the stalks started to decompose and break easily. Only chance for me, i'm a small guy! :laughing9:
And thanks, i hope your good wishes bring some nice finds!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LoL! The farmer told me end of June for harvest, but it took longer to get the combine rent because of barley harvest. That was more important. With that the stalks started to decompose and break easily. Only chance for me, i'm a small guy! :laughing9:
And thanks, i hope your good wishes bring some nice finds!

So you had a lot of rain at the end of June? Your lucky that your harvest might be 2 weeks earlier than ours....

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 Scrappies added to top.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt! At first I thought you found an American penny with a silver insert! Duh.

aj

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you had a lot of rain at the end of June? Your lucky that your harvest might be 2 weeks earlier than ours....

You better call it flood. Lots of thunderstorms with many cellars submerged. It was really bad. Hundreds of cars badly damaged with tennis ball big hail just one town away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread