Old ring from a fresh water lake

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
With some time off this summer I've tried my hand at fresh water hunting with the AT Pro. Unfortunately I don't have a long handle scoop (if you can recommend one to me please send me a PM) so I've had to stay at a max of waist deep with a hand scoop. On Friday I got in the water and found some more 30-40 year old clad... And then I got a nice high tone in about 2 feet of water. I thought it might be a dime... But to my surprise when I looked in the scoop I saw a dark gray ring- most likely silver! When I got it home and cleaned up I confirmed it was silver despite the lack of a 925 or any other hallmark. Looking at it I'm certain that it's hand-made, and had been in the water for decades based on the tarnish... But can't decide whether it's American Indian made or if it predates 1868- when it became mandatory for Jewellers to stamp sterling jewelry. Any opinions out there? Thanks for looking! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469325219.853216.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469325236.669813.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469325249.069324.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469325259.687675.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469325277.795005.jpg

Upvote 14

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help you on the dating or who made it, sorry. But, I will say "Congratulations!" It is an oldie and a beauty. I have never seen NA made jewelry with the symmetrical squared shapes in it. NA is usually animal, rounded, curved, oval shapes, but hey, that is only what I have seen. Maybe JewelryGuy will chime in! Sub 8-)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice ring fine! Congratualtions!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job on a unique ring find. Eventually you will need a better scoop with the long handle. I attached a snow shovel handle to my hand scoop and it works fine for now.

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring, and cleaned up pretty nice. I have found a similar heavily tarnished sterling ring and have gently tried using baking soda in warm water and it has cleaned up somewhat. Curious to how you cleaned yours? Don't think Native American made but the zig zags on the side do look kind of Native American. Anything on the back side of the band pattern wise?
HH

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"predates 1868- when it became mandatory"
That's not a hard & fast rule, many countries to consider, & just because its Law doesn't mean it happens. Lots of UK companies/individuals dodged the taxes (assaying) for hundreds of years.
To me I would say 1920s-30s. Guess.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
"predates 1868- when it became mandatory"
That's not a hard & fast rule, many countries to consider, & just because its Law doesn't mean it happens. Lots of UK companies/individuals dodged the taxes (assaying) for hundreds of years.
To me I would say 1920s-30s. Guess.
I agree. Or later. Very nice clean-up and ring ,just the same though.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, Reilly's Tresured Gold scoops are the best...
But whatever Casper recommends, go with it.

OP
OP
Mi$terG

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Beautiful ring, and cleaned up pretty nice. I have found a similar heavily tarnished sterling ring and have gently tried using baking soda in warm water and it has cleaned up somewhat. Curious to how you cleaned yours? Don't think Native American made but the zig zags on the side do look kind of Native American. Anything on the back side of the band pattern wise?
HH

Thanks for comments. First used water and baking soda and rubbed with fingers- lightly brushed with tooth brush. Then used some silver polish.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sweet silver ring congrsts!
Looks like it had a very rough journey.
Great save!

OP
OP
Mi$terG

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First congrats on the silver ring. I have lots of them not marked and a few gold also. As stated, rules were not followed by every country.

If you are interested in a quality scoop with a lifetime warranty, also look at Sunspot Stealth scoops made here in Michigan. I have two and I think they are the best.

LOL I know there have been lots of scoop discussions. Everyone has an opinion.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread