New finds with 3030

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my front yard there is a side walk that i have hunted about 4 ft out on each side every single time i go to my front yard to learn or practice. It has been pounded with a cheap detector, the AT pro, the deus on every freq wide open, Coin master pro and now the 3030. I have went back and forth both ways taking very short steps not to miss a single inch.

I went out side ground balanced and set it to coin program. It was the factory program is came on. m1p1.

I started like i always do at one end on one side all the way down then back up the other side. Here is what i found. It was about 4 inches deep but still had a metal type ring holding them together.

Not saying the 3030 is better but i bet i have hunted this sidewalk more than 50 times and it would be odd to say that i missed it by swinging over it?

This was about 30 min hunt in a well hit yard lol.

Anyways here they are.

In my front yard there is a side walk that i have hunted about 4 ft out on each side every single time i go to my front yard to learn or practice. It has been pounded with a cheap detector, the AT pro, the deus on every freq wide open, Coin master pro and now the 3030. I have went back and forth both ways taking very short steps not to miss a single inch.

I went out side ground balanced and set it to coin program. It was the factory program is came on. m1p1.

I started like i always do at one end on one side all the way down then back up the other side. Here is what i found. It was about 4 inches deep but still had a metal type ring holding them together.

Not saying the 3030 is better but i bet i have hunted this sidewalk more than 50 times and it would be odd to say that i missed it by swinging over it?

This was about 30 min hunt in a well hit yard lol.

Anyways here they are.

IMG_6381.JPG

Upvote 4
OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Users need to be careful even with Auto Gain +3. Yes the gain is the highest auto setting, but it's still auto. I've locked on to many signals missed in Auto +3 that ended in amazing finds. Just a few weeks ago I found a 1699 William 3rd at 15".

I'll usually run Auto3 and switch over to manual ~+26 when I hear a chip or chirp, or on occasion, even a lapse in the base tone.

And BTW - I do not GB 99.8% of the time.

Steve

I tried manual sensitivity after ground balancing and it was noisy on anything above like 14 i think.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried manual sensitivity after ground balancing and it was noisy on anything above like 14 i think.

Yep, it usually is. Auto 3+ adjusts as needed. It works for all but the deepest targets. However, when I hear a faint chirp, I then switch over to manual.

On occasion I switch over to manual and detect, listening for beeps amongst the chatter. It's difficult but once your ears adjust it can pay off handsomely. I only do this for areas I've cleared of signals.

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Just to throw my 2 cents (but not a 2-center) into the mix, there are actually far more variables involved in a specific hunt of a specific location that just your detector.

Your swing speed can vary due to fatigue and environmental factors like heat and humidity. Moisture content of the soil can play a big part in whether you get a signal off a given target or not on a given day. And of course, having your coil over the precise area that will return a signal off that target. I think probably every person on here, and those in the wider world of detecting, can relate stories of themselves or someone else digging a target where they KNOW they've swung their coil before and found absolutely nothing.

I found an early 1900's coin spill right where multiple people who had been hunting that area literally for years before I learned about that place had hunted pretty diligently. Had all of them completely bumfuzzled as to how they managed to miss them. Another hunter I know of dug an intact Parrot shell right between two small trees. Not only had the rest of us checked out that spot, HE had detected it several times before without result. Just on that day his coil was in just the right position, the moisture in the soil was favorable, etc. If just one factor is off, you don't get a hit.

So I personally feel that quite often its more a question of right place, right time, right conditions than it is of the right machine. The best machine out there might give you a somewhat better chance of finding a target, but everything else has to be right too or it stays hidden.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it usually is. Auto 3+ adjusts as needed. It works for all but the deepest targets. However, when I hear a faint chirp, I then switch over to manual.

On occasion I switch over to manual and detect, listening for beeps amongst the chatter. It's difficult but once your ears adjust it can pay off handsomely. I only do this for areas I've cleared of signals.

Thanks for the tip. I tried it last night and it does work. This was a site with areas of heavy trash and some clear. I found a pocket spill using discrimination and got a couple quarters. I switched off discrimination and found 2 more quarters and 2 dimes. Then I went to manual at 27 and found another dime. When done the coins were spread out over a 12" by 27" area. Manual picked up a signal deep in a side wall.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the tip. I tried it last night and it does work. This was a site with areas of heavy trash and some clear. I found a pocket spill using discrimination and got a couple quarters. I switched off discrimination and found 2 more quarters and 2 dimes. Then I went to manual at 27 and found another dime. When done the coins were spread out over a 12" by 27" area. Manual picked up a signal deep in a side wall.

Excellent, I'm happy to hear it worked. It's all about having the right tools, and utilizing those tools to their full potential.

Cheers

Oh, and I never use descrim. It can mask signals like you saw with those two quarters. Wide open allows you to hear the iron and highs seamlessly

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOOOOOOOOW :notworthy: Great info. Thanks everyone so much. It was i think 98 here yesterday so i was not playing in the heat lol.. Ill check tonight ad see what auto sens mine is set to. I dont know enough about the tones and numbers yet to know what is a good signal and what is not. I know the 12: are normally good lol... Ill learn it in good time but having helpful information up front helps speed up the process ..

Thanks again everyone.

:hello2::icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread