New finds with 3030

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my front yard there is a side walk that i have hunted about 4 ft out on each side every single time i go to my front yard to learn or practice. It has been pounded with a cheap detector, the AT pro, the deus on every freq wide open, Coin master pro and now the 3030. I have went back and forth both ways taking very short steps not to miss a single inch.

I went out side ground balanced and set it to coin program. It was the factory program is came on. m1p1.

I started like i always do at one end on one side all the way down then back up the other side. Here is what i found. It was about 4 inches deep but still had a metal type ring holding them together.

Not saying the 3030 is better but i bet i have hunted this sidewalk more than 50 times and it would be odd to say that i missed it by swinging over it?

This was about 30 min hunt in a well hit yard lol.

Anyways here they are.

In my front yard there is a side walk that i have hunted about 4 ft out on each side every single time i go to my front yard to learn or practice. It has been pounded with a cheap detector, the AT pro, the deus on every freq wide open, Coin master pro and now the 3030. I have went back and forth both ways taking very short steps not to miss a single inch.

I went out side ground balanced and set it to coin program. It was the factory program is came on. m1p1.

I started like i always do at one end on one side all the way down then back up the other side. Here is what i found. It was about 4 inches deep but still had a metal type ring holding them together.

Not saying the 3030 is better but i bet i have hunted this sidewalk more than 50 times and it would be odd to say that i missed it by swinging over it?

This was about 30 min hunt in a well hit yard lol.

Anyways here they are.

IMG_6381.JPG

Upvote 4

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO, E Trac, Deus, and the CTX 3030 will all find keys at a 4 inch depth. I have done the same thing. Going back over a honey hole that has been previously pounded with different machines. Those searches are always followed by a question like, "How did I miss that?" However, when the CTX comes up with a Silver Dollar at 10 inches,, me and that machine are getting married.
Congrats on a successful test.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have have destroyed my yard with other detectors. When I am bored and don't wanna drive to find a place I will just head out n the yard and swing. Most of the time it is nothing new. So I am hoping to find things that I haven't before. Either way I guess that's the nature of the beast. Thanks for the comment.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the new detector! IMHO the other detectors you own would have found those targets. Like all of us here, we miss things from time to time.

Good Luck with the new machine!

GL & HH

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO, if you missed that signal at 4 inches in your own yard that's been pounded by you with four other machines, perhaps that says more about you and less about the machines you're using.

Good luck hunting with your sexy new gal. :)

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The deus and CTX are called the deadly duo. But that said, you never, ever find it all. That's what haunts us hunters at night.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO, if you missed that signal at 4 inches in your own yard that's been pounded by you with four other machines, perhaps that says more about you and less about the machines you're using.

Good luck hunting with your sexy new gal. :)

Guess so. Guess im just not any good at this sport. Guess ill sell everything.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The deus and CTX are called the deadly duo. But that said, you never, ever find it all. That's what haunts us hunters at night.

I figured i swung around or or by it or something who knows. Im not saying that it is bc of the 3030 im just saying i found it, lol

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess so. Guess im just not any good at this sport. Guess ill sell everything.

Ah don't say that haha. Everybody is at a different level of experience, and EVERYBODY misses things. I'm not ashamed to say (ok maybe a LITTLE bit) that my newbie friend using my old machine found a barber half at a spot I had pounded with my DEUS. It was in heavy iron and standing on edge (ok I feel a little better).

The point is that you got an awesome new machine to play with, and you found things you didn't find before. I'd say that's a success.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah don't say that haha. Everybody is at a different level of experience, and EVERYBODY misses things. I'm not ashamed to say (ok maybe a LITTLE bit) that my newbie friend using my old machine found a barber half at a spot I had pounded with my DEUS. It was in heavy iron and standing on edge (ok I feel a little better).

The point is that you got an awesome new machine to play with, and you found things you didn't find before. I'd say that's a success.
Haha oh I am not selling lol. I was just being very sarcastic lol :notworthy:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I sincerely wish you well. I'm not trying to be offensive to you intentionally.

Part of learning is accepting criticism. It's all good. Good hunting. :occasion17:

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

With the 3030 the only time to ground balance is with highly mineralized ground. Just do the automatic noise canceling. Ground balancing can reduce depth.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the 3030 the only time to ground balance is with highly mineralized ground. Just do the automatic noise canceling. Ground balancing can reduce depth.

Thats good info? i ahve been ground balancing every time so far. Does it store the last time you balanced? I mean after you turn off and on or should i adjust the sensitivity or leave it on auto?

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats good info? i ahve been ground balancing every time so far. Does it store the last time you balanced? I mean after you turn off and on or should i adjust the sensitivity or leave it on auto?

There is a setting to TURN OFF ground balancing. I think you press and hold the GB button and turn to off but it has been a while since I went into that area. Please check the manual. Each time you change sites or get near any interference do the automatic noise canceling. That selects the best frequencies to use based on conditions. It will change, sometimes quite a bit.

Also make sure your machine is set for Auto +3 on sensitivity. It will automatically adjust sensitivity based on ground conditions. While working various sites I have seen it go from 18 to 24 and then down to 15. Sometimes it will adjust while walking 10 or 20 feet.

I would recommend getting Andy Sabisch's book on the CTX. It really puts the operation of the machine into focus and corrects errors in the Minelab manual. Well worth the $. I have been using the 3030 for a couple years and I will attend one of his seminars if one is held within reasonable driving distance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a setting to TURN OFF ground balancing. I think you press and hold the GB button and turn to off but it has been a while since I went into that area. Please check the manual. Each time you change sites or get near any interference do the automatic noise canceling. That selects the best frequencies to use based on conditions. It will change, sometimes quite a bit.

Also make sure your machine is set for Auto +3 on sensitivity. It will automatically adjust sensitivity based on ground conditions. While working various sites I have seen it go from 18 to 24 and then down to 15. Sometimes it will adjust while walking 10 or 20 feet.

I would recommend getting Andy Sabisch's book on the CTX. It really puts the operation of the machine into focus and corrects errors in the Minelab manual. Well worth the $. I have been using the 3030 for a couple years and I will attend one of his seminars if one is held within reasonable driving distance.

Yeah i seen the setting for turning it on and or off. I just meant when you left it on and turned the detector off and back on if it help the last ground balance numbers. I have Andy's book on the way. Thanks for the info everyone.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i seen the setting for turning it on and or off. I just meant when you left it on and turned the detector off and back on if it help the last ground balance numbers. I have Andy's book on the way. Thanks for the info everyone.

I can't help with that one as have mine turned off all the time.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Users need to be careful even with Auto Gain +3. Yes the gain is the highest auto setting, but it's still auto. I've locked on to many signals missed in Auto +3 that ended in amazing finds. Just a few weeks ago I found a 1699 William 3rd at 15".

I'll usually run Auto3 and switch over to manual ~+26 when I hear a chip or chirp, or on occasion, even a lapse in the base tone.

And BTW - I do not GB 99.8% of the time.

Steve

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I need to add a couple of observations. I have pounded my new spot with my CZ-21 OVER and OVER in some of the places. I really believe my CZ is the best water machine out there. I keep going over the same hunted spot sometimes just to hear a faint wispier of ANY target. I found a very deep gold ring that way. So now I get out my Tiger Shark to play also. WOW. I will say I know for sure I missed a SLQ and a Washington that were shallow. i also found buffalo's and wheat's that were shallow also. WHY? Lots of iron nails in that spot. TONS. Some of the buffalo's and wheat's were close together.

Look at his find. You have brass keys with a STEEL ring holding them together. So you have mixed targets. Did the other machines null out the brass because of the steel? Sure I have picked out good targets next to iron with the CZ-21. HOWEVER, ALL conditions are different. What else is in the ground that could have masked the keys from the other machines? I don't know, the OP doesn't know and neither does anyone here. NO MACHINE will do it all in ANY CONDITION. Unless you are using a non discriminating one and digging every single target. Even then someone might have a deeper non discriminating machine.

I will always use my CZ-21 first. However, from now on I will mop up with the Tiger Shark and go over everything again. Will I miss things? Certainly. I know this. Some of the targets I detect, if I move my machine even an inch and re swing I get nothing. I will probably buy an Excal for this spot also and see what it can get me.

Target masking has been talked about a lot. Sure his other machines MIGHT have found the keys in a DIFFERENT environment. They just didn't find them in the soil conditions he has in his front yard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread