CANNOT BELIEVE THIS! Lend-Lease 37MM tank shell casing found!!!

Slavdetect

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2016
Riga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this 37MM U.S. shell on a field by my country house in Latvia! I believe this one is from a M3 Stuart or M3 Lee as they both had served in the Soviet army during WW2 as part of the Lend-Lease program and both had 37MM guns. This is such an amazing find for me as I am 14 years old and started metal detecting about a week ago.

These are all the things my grandpa told me that he remembered that are associated with this house and WW2. Keep in mind that this happened in Latvia (the former WW2 Eastern Front).

So my grandpa said the previous owner of the house said that near the end of WW2 a couple U.S. tanks rolled up on to the field from a forest right next to the field and got shelled by German artillery about 3km away. It's known that one of the tanks took a direct hit from the artillery because the previous owner found a badly damaged tank generator on the field and I also knew the tanks were U.S. because the owner said that the plate with all the information about it was in English. When my grandpa's parents bought the house from that guy (around the 1950's) the house was a little bit damaged. A German artillery shell actually hit the house ,but didn't explode so they had to get it out. The main reason i actually thought about starting metal detecting was to find tank parts of these tanks that were by my house. The reasons as to why this shell is a bit damaged are: 1) This is the tank that took a direct hit from the German artillery or 2) This shell got mowed up by a plow. If anyone can help me find out more about this shell's lot that would be great!

IMG_1733[1].JPG IMG_1734[1].JPG IMG_1735[1].JPG

Here's a video of a similar generator starting up

Upvote 20

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find...and an even better back-story! I'm very impressed with the manner on which you have presented your finds, at 14 years old you certainly have great perspective for the hobby..AND history. Thanks very much for sharing, I'm waiting intently to see what all you find there...ddf

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This shell probably comes off the blown tank. The damage is unusual for a plow and the primer only comes out when it's burst, not when fired in a cannon.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely from the exploded tank, as the primer is unfired. Don't worry, the explosion and time in the ground mean it's completely inert. That's a pretty cool find with an amazing story behind it!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Slavdetect... Congratulations on a super nice find and adding the history story behind the find! I hope you make more such finds and even greater finds in the future and share them with us as well! Just be careful because there could be some un-exploded ordinance (shells) in the area as well.

Frank

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, great find. If your not addicted now, you never will be. Look forward to your future finds. Great back story!

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Slavdetect,

Great story and an awesome reason to start detecting. I know nothing of ordnance so I can't help. Please do continue to post your finds.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing that story and find amazing Great post

OP
OP
Slavdetect

Slavdetect

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2016
Riga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the positive replies!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing the video, nice to see old machinery restored! Congratualtions!

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
that thank shell reminds me of my tank shells i dug from Estonia

ContactGSW

Greenie
Mar 2, 2016
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ21. Tessoro Vaquero, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story. Congratulations on the find, and your English. Your writing is probably better than mine.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the hell are you talking about? How was that spam. Also, if you want to accuse me of something PM me.

Good for you, so do you want to keep spamming this kids thread or will you go start your own now?

OP
OP
Slavdetect

Slavdetect

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2016
Riga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow thanks baspinall! This definitely confirms that this round came from a M3 AT gun ,the lot number even matches up. 9662 being the lot and -5 being the 5th round that they produced in that lot.

OP
OP
Slavdetect

Slavdetect

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2016
Riga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you, so do you want to keep spamming this kids thread or will you go start your own now?

That's a link related to the topic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread