REALing 'em in--TRIPLE Spanish and Military!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

It was a heat wave this past weekend, with the heat index up in the 112 range--so naturally it was a perfect time to go dig for 12 hours in the sun in Louisiana! :laughing9: So I got up early to meet ole Shanguloid at a new permission of ours. Scouted some of the 3500 acre permission and found several new sites but mainly worked just one. The one we explored had a lot of potential, but we didn't realize that it would give us such a great day of digging! On the way there I almost hit an gator on the road. On the way to lunch, I noticed that someone else had hit one. :D

IMG_8029a.jpg

Here's the video of the hunt, a day spent dodging some rain showers and questioning our sanity since it was so hot.

Well we got out there and within no time Shangalangalang had found himself a half real! So nice to see that silver come out of the dirt!

204_1236.JPG

The coin was a little plow-bent, but it was a nice looking 1811.

204_1244.JPG

We dug some more stuff, and Shang found a silver war nickel. Funny story--the very first silver we dug while hunting together was in the fall of 2011 at a civil war site when I dug a war nickel. I think he was a bit jealous since he'd never dug a silver before--and I told him "when you finally dig one, it's gonna be OLD" Well...four weeks later he dug his first silver ever--a 1700s spanish! :D Nice to see you got your war nickel, buddy. Only 5 years too late haha.

IMG_2683.JPG IMG_2684.JPG

He also dug what looks like a musket nipple protector chain but it's too long. Any ideas appreciated (see finds photos at end of post). I dug Mary's head from a lead religious statuary, eyeballed some marbles, an dug some more modern junk. Obviously a mixed site like so many are down here. Then I got a nice signal and popped out what looked like a bit boss embedded in a hunk of dirt!

204_1250.JPG

I had Shang flip it over and was STOKED to see a Civil War bit boss. This one has the stippled background, no period after the "U" in "US." This is my first ever, in 25 years in the hobby. In a great stroke of luck, this one was not destroyed by the plow!

204_1255.JPG 204_1257.JPG

After getting over that craziness, we dug some wheat pennies and musketballs. Sigh. And a bunch of pack rivets, which sound exactly like half reales. Then all of a sudden I got yet another half real signal and I told Ole Shangy that I thought it was a pretty good half real signal. Well I was surprised when I broke open a clod and--it was!!

204_1260.JPG

Turned out to be a very worn 1818 half real. :icon_thumleft:

204_1266.JPG

After that excitement, I kept on digging and not 6 minutes later I hear Shangimus Maximus yelling that he's got ANOTHER one! This one turned out to be a BEAUTIFUL 1809 half real! Congrats, buddy!

204_1271.JPG

Throughout the day it rained off and on. Sometimes we were lucky dodging showers but at the end of the day we got drenched and the fields became horrible mud pits. I'll dig in heat and humidity, but add 10lbs of mud on each shoe, the difficulty of recovering targets when they stick to everything, and holes that fill up as fast as you can dig them, and you get a nightmare instead of a happy little hobby :laughing7: So when that happened...we left!

Here are the finds photos. Enjoy!

IMG_2661.JPG IMG_2663.JPG IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG HPIM5486.JPG 204_1256.JPG

HPIM5488.JPG HPIM5489.JPG

IMG_2681.JPG IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG IMG_2680.JPG

Happy Hunting,

Cane Bandits.jpg

The CaneField Bandits

Upvote 35
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer hunt for you guys Will! To me it looks like you are succesful everytime you're out! Congrats!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds like those make hunting in the brutal heat a little more tolerable. I notice you guys seem to find a lot of early 1800's Spanish silver and a lot of early US seatrd coins but hardly any draped bust or bust silver US coins. Any theory on why that is. Not that I would be complaining about that but it is just interesting.

Last edited:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds my friend. Makes the heat seem not so bad after all.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer hunt for you guys Will! To me it looks like you are succesful everytime you're out! Congrats!

Hello my friend! What you don't see are the two all-day hunts scouting for a site where we didn't find anything at all. When we dont find anything, I don't post, because I figure that folks dont care to read.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds like those make hunting in the brutal heat a little more tolerable. I notice you guys seem to find a lot of early 1800's Spanish silver and a lot of early US seatrd coins but hardly any draped bust or bust silver US coins. Any theory on why that is. Not that I would be complaining about that but it is just interesting.

Yes, actually the only coins that circulated before the CW in South Louisiana were reales and (eventually) new orleans seated coins. We find very few large cents here. For example, in five years we have dug 175 silver coins, vast majority were seated and reales (65 reales so far). We have dug I think maybe 4-5 large cents only. So that seems to speak to the fact that the coins from the philly mint didn't circulate much down here until after the Civil War.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff Buck. Triple Spanish? Amazing!! :notworthy:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you guys had a successful hunt, because in extreme heat like that, you can't just say "we didn't find much, but had a nice day in the great outdoors"...LOL

Congrats on the bit boss and the condition it's in. I only have ever found one and it's in perfect condition too. You guys seem to find a lot Spanish silver with early 1800s dates. The 1800s Spanish doesn't turn up as often in the Northeast. Of the 65 I have found, only one was from the 1800s - an 1808 one real.

Thanks so much, Steve. Yeah, I just wrote a little bit about that in the reply right above this one. I think the reales continued here, well, perhaps on into reconstruction period. That said, the primary time frame for affluence here was the period 1810-1860 so that's what we find. We have dug 65 reales in the past 5 years, approximately even numbers between my buddy and I, around 30 each.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff Buck. Triple Spanish? Amazing!! :notworthy:

Thanks my friend! We always want what we cant have--so I have copper dreams at night!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I love it when there's a new Buckleboy post, too--means I've managed to find something decent. :D 1809 is one of the nicest half reales we've dug in terms of condition. Overall, really thrilled with the finds. How are things going up there for you?

Things are going decent, thanks for asking. I managed to find my oldest IH cent up here last week on the Canadian prairies- 1867! The age pales in comparison to your colonial/Spanish finds, but it's super old for up here.

I hope to see another post soon, filled with even more Spanish, Seated, and Civil War.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That it.
I am moving to Louisiana....see you soon!

Well, my bride might object, too hot there!
Congrats on a great hunt!

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a guy at the GPAA metal detecting and treasure show in San Diego in Jan or Feb that was selling books on treasure symbols interpretation. Perhaps GPAA would have a record of who sold at this show. It was in Del Mar, CA. Then you could call him and order one of his books. Old issues of Gold Prospector Magazine might have a number in them to contact them. D

Grass is always greener on the other side don't you have a good chance of finding copper culture artifacts where you live? I always like to keep detecting in perspective if you are finding something that is old for your area you are doing great.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on beating the Heat. That's a lot of Spanish silver you should be quite proud. You really should leave some for the rest of us though LOL

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things are going decent, thanks for asking. I managed to find my oldest IH cent up here last week on the Canadian prairies- 1867! The age pales in comparison to your colonial/Spanish finds, but it's super old for up here.

I hope to see another post soon, filled with even more Spanish, Seated, and Civil War.

Will do our best. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That it.
I am moving to Louisiana....see you soon!

Well, my bride might object, too hot there!
Congrats on a great hunt!

Cmon, there's a lot of land to dig. :D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on beating the Heat. That's a lot of Spanish silver you should be quite proud. You really should leave some for the rest of us though LOL

I'm sure there's a couple more in the ground left to find...

...and we gonna dig em up next time! ;D

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my friend! What you don't see are the two all-day hunts scouting for a site where we didn't find anything at all. When we dont find anything, I don't post, because I figure that folks dont care to read.

Same here. Many hunts to discover new sites with almost nothing in the finds pouch. Not something worth posting for me. But i feel different with your posts because they are always entertaining. :occasion14:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here. Many hunts to discover new sites with almost nothing in the finds pouch. Not something worth posting for me. But i feel different with your posts because they are always entertaining. :occasion14:

I only post the results of those "dry hunts." Glad that many seem to read and enjoy my posts, and hoping it's not misleading about how much work it takes to find the good stuff.

Cheers,

Buck :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread