I found my marbles!

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recently my husband plowed some of our land in the hopes of finding more relics from a late1800s homestead. It rained cats and dogs afterwards and I've been waiting for it to dry so I could check it out. Yesterday I finally got the chance. I didn't get any hits on the metal detector but was happy to find some things on the surface while detecting. I found 3 marbles. One is much bigger than the other 2 and is apparently called a shooter. There's all kinds of broken glass and I was hoping to find just one bottle intact. Well, I found one almost completely intact. The bottom is chipped on the corners a little. As I was cleaning the mud out of it, I noticed something was blocking the opening, making it difficult to get the mud out since it's a small bottle. Anyway, I was happy to discover it has some kind of glass applicator still inside. How cool! If anyone knows more info about the types of marbles or regarding the bottle, feel free to enlighten me. I also found a nutting stone. Its my first. We have recovered several grinding stones from that area over the last 3 years.
Kywonder and I also revisited one of our school grounds yesterday. It was uneventful giving up just $3.59 for me and $3.38 for my husband. Thanks for reading and HH!
20160724_154414.jpg 20160724_154304.jpg 20160724_154438.jpg 20160724_154517.jpg 20160724_154507.jpg 20160724_114739.jpg

Upvote 12

davemihm

Feb 1, 2015
Mcminnville or
Detector(s) used
Whites xl Pro 6000 , MX Sport. Coin Master pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If my memory serves me correctly the bottle appears to be a mecuricrome bottle . it was a cure all for those scratches and little cuts , always had a bottle in the med cabinet in the early 1950s.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hopefully TNetter, Cheese, will come along and further ID your marbles. That shooter looks really good to me. Congrats on the finds.

All of the guys I hunt with consider marbles to be a good find. We all have little jars of them.

Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If my memory serves me correctly the bottle appears to be a mecuricrome bottle . it was a cure all for those scratches and little cuts , always had a bottle in the med cabinet in the early 1950s.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Thanks Davemihm. Kywonder was thinking the same thing. Of course, that was way before my time so I've never heard of it..haha. He's a little older than me, though ;)

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Marble larger than the majority may be termed a
Boulder, Bonker, Masher, Plumper, Popper, SHOOTER, Thumper, Smasher, Taw, Bumbo, Crock, Bumboozer, Bowler, Tank, Tronk, Godfather, Tom bowler, Fourer, Giant, Dobber, Dobbert, Hogger, Biggie, or Toebreaker.
Some smaller or normal sized marbles were given names because of their color (s).
Watermelon - red and green
Girl Scout - green and yellow
Cub Scout - yellow and blue
Aggie - looks like Agate
Marbles can be fascinating but I've lost most of mine,, lol
Congrats on a really cool hunt. I think you will soon put together where the kids played, where previous farmers would dump what they couldn't burn, the clothesline, and the privies.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big clay one looks to be a Bennington marble, late 1800's or so. The other two look to be early machine made, the one on the right for sure. The left little one could be hand made, check to see if it has a small bump on opposite poles, which would mean it is hand made. If not, machine made.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the marbles! :occasion14:

My daughter loves finding the old clay marbles in the farm fields, a cool personal item.

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratualtions on the marbles! :occasion14:

My daughter loves finding the old clay marbles in the farm fields, a cool personal item.

Yes, professor, I have found 3 or 4 clay ones over the last year. They are cool!

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The big clay one looks to be a Bennington marble, late 1800's or so. The other two look to be early machine made, the one on the right for sure. The left little one could be hand made, check to see if it has a small bump on opposite poles, which would mean it is hand made. If not, machine made.

Thanks, Susan. I think it is a Bennington. Sure looks just like the one I saw online once you advised me. Thanks for helping ID the shooter! I believe the other 2 are machine made.

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any Marble larger than the majority may be termed a
Boulder, Bonker, Masher, Plumper, Popper, SHOOTER, Thumper, Smasher, Taw, Bumbo, Crock, Bumboozer, Bowler, Tank, Tronk, Godfather, Tom bowler, Fourer, Giant, Dobber, Dobbert, Hogger, Biggie, or Toebreaker.
Some smaller or normal sized marbles were given names because of their color (s).
Watermelon - red and green
Girl Scout - green and yellow
Cub Scout - yellow and blue
Aggie - looks like Agate
Marbles can be fascinating but I've lost most of mine,, lol
Congrats on a really cool hunt. I think you will soon put together where the kids played, where previous farmers would dump what they couldn't burn, the clothesline, and the privies.

Thanks for all the info, Kevin! Yes, I hope we can continue to pull some more neat stuff from that site.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice field finds, KDQ........there's history out there to be recovered!!
davemihm is spot on with the bottle ID.........mercurochrome and merthiolate came in little bottle like that one.........we always had some in our medicine cabinet, too. The liquid was a redish/brown when applied and made a great indian war paint for kids playing "western" type games. Problem was trying to wash it off!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Chizzy!

Top Member Reactions