l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can not be a mint error, there is no way a smaller planchet can be struck by quarter dies and still show the reeding on the edge. The reeds are struck at the same time as the face and are in a closed collar, the collar is on the outside of the dies. A smaller planchet struck by quarter dies can not show the reeding on the edge, just can not happen that way.

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find. If your coin is in fact an error, it would be a "wrong planchet error." From the pictures it appears it would have been a "quarter struck on dime planchet" error more specifically. Here is a quick test for you: Is the coin the same thickness as a dime? A dime is 1.35mm and a quarter is 1.75mm. Now it may be thinner than the dime, but if it is over say 1.40mm I would say no chance it is real. The other thing is, I doubt that the entire edge would be reeded if its real. The reeded edge is obtained during the striking process. The collar in which the coin is struck contains grooves that, once the die applies pressure to the planchet, leave the reeded edge. Now, if you imagine a dime in a quarter-sized collar, I doubt that all of the reeds would imprint 360 degrees around the entire planchet. Let us know what you find. If it's the same thickness as a quarter, it's more than likely not a real error. If in doubt at all though, take it to an expert. Without holding and seeing the coin personally, it's very difficult to ascertain much.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the center of a silver quarter that's left when you punch it to make a coin ring. I think someone added the reeding for fun.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RobRieman beat me to it. This is the circular piece cut out of the center of a coin ring-in-the-making by a jewelers saw in my very humble opinion. Sub 8-)

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely no chance of it being a mint error.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy to put it in the lathe, turn it down, then add ridges.

Why, well, that is a different story.

saltednuts

Feb 12, 2011
york county, penn.
Detector(s) used
presently garrett gta 1000 , fisher cz5 and now a fisher cz21 10.5" coil and vibra=quatic 2 pinpointer add another cz21
this is easy to settle show it to an honest expert like third party graders at any coin show i never said i garantee it to be a mint error just voiced my opinion

Rich jaws

Oct 27, 2014
NY
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I briefly got into rolling rings from coins. Can make a ring from a quarter for a lady or child. The first step is to punch the center out of the quarter. The piece you found is the punched toss away part.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread