1st time finds, Beware nothing exotic... Lol

Hiball76

Jul 17, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett At gold, equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm somewhat embarrassed to show my 1st finds but after about a hour of searching my front yard and my neighbors here are my goodies. I left out all the bottle caps, pull tabs, aluminum can scraps, I figure you guys are probably digging enough of those on your own. I'm still pretty slow, been concentrating on pinpointing items and working with different setting on my At Gold. I found a couple pennies, one of them was a 1919 Wheat (extremely worn), 1981 penny, 1981 dime, a older die cast truck, I very pliable knife, I think it's a Boy Scout or camping knife. The last thing I found was the big round tag, I initially thought it was a coin, so I quickly closed up shop and ran in the house to run it under some water while I'm gently rubbed some dirt off. Once I got inside I realized it had a hanger on it... Well crap. After cleaning it up a little more I could clearly make out the stamping and it's a dog tag. I don't recognize the family name. It I'm going to do some research and maybe I can find the family, it only has a 4 digit phone number with a J after it, not sure if that dates it a bit of they simply didn't put the prefix on tag. Regardless... I can already tell how addicting this hobby is going to be, even without finding anything with significant monetary value, I cant wait till AM. I'll be heading out to the family farm tomorrow, checking some old 1 room school house locations and previous home stead locations on the family farm.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 23

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That toy truck looks very old. Any writing inside. A lot on here would be very content with finding a toy like that. Congrats on your finds

OP
OP
H

Hiball76

Jul 17, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That toy truck looks very old. Any writing inside. A lot on here would be very content with finding a toy like that. Congrats on your finds

Didn't see any stamping but I did do me googling and it appears it's from the tootsie toy company.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard! First finds, enthusiasm and some old historic ground to search..........yep, you're hooked!! :occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your truck looks like it could be a Tootsie Toy. Those are real nice finds in my book. I really like digging those.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the old truck.Good luck on the farm hunt.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt, you found some cool items! Congratualtions! :occasion14:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have found some things that I would love to find. I love those for a first. Congrats and Welcome aboard.

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoot, you did good for your first time. There are people who collect dog tags, and toy trucks. I guarantee, the more you use the AT, the better you'll get. Keep it up!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and welcome to the forum from a fellow Missourian. Your toy wrecker does appear to be mid 1950's, which would coincide with your four digit phone number on the dog tag. Best of luck, you have a great machine, so read the manual cover to cover and experiment with it. Parks and schools! Sub 8-)

OP
OP
H

Hiball76

Jul 17, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments... I did manage to put in some swing time yesterday at The family farm, I mainly concentrated around the back side of the house, in particular around the clothesline and such. I haven't found much, but it's very trashy to say the least, lots of remnants from the previous home when it was tore down etc.. My grandmother at 90 still lives out there and actually that is where she was born and raised, when she asked me what I was looking for, I joked that there had to be some old mason jars buried that where filled with silver and gold. Needless to say, she just laughed and commented that I was hunting on poor land and with 8 brothers and sisters in the family, there wasn't any money left to bury. Lol... Suprisingly the very first thing I dug was a canning lid with what looked like a ceramic seal, of course it was busted into pieces and no glass or signals in the hole after i removed the pieces. Oh so close.... Ha. Out of curiosity what the opinion on the trowel shovel versus a regular shovel? I can definitely see the benefit of the small trowel for shallow targets, or areas that you don't want to leave a hot mess, but man I was pulling some deep good targets at the farm, needless to say it's uphill business digging 8+ inches with the small trowel, probably more so for me with my pinpointing experiences coupled with a lot of targets.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments... I did manage to put in some swing time yesterday at The family farm, I mainly concentrated around the back side of the house, in particular around the clothesline and such. I haven't found much, but it's very trashy to say the least, lots of remnants from the previous home when it was tore down etc.. My grandmother at 90 still lives out there and actually that is where she was born and raised, when she asked me what I was looking for, I joked that there had to be some old mason jars buried that where filled with silver and gold. Needless to say, she just laughed and commented that I was hunting on poor land and with 8 brothers and sisters in the family, there wasn't any money left to bury. Lol... Suprisingly the very first thing I dug was a canning lid with what looked like a ceramic seal, of course it was busted into pieces and no glass or signals in the hole after i removed the pieces. Oh so close.... Ha. Out of curiosity what the opinion on the trowel shovel versus a regular shovel? I can definitely see the benefit of the small trowel for shallow targets, or areas that you don't want to leave a hot mess, but man I was pulling some deep good targets at the farm, needless to say it's uphill business digging 8+ inches with the small trowel, probably more so for me with my pinpointing experiences coupled with a lot of targets.

I think if you are in an area where it wouldn't hurt to dig with a big shovel go for it.But in sensitive spots like the lawns and such go delicate with the small trowel or even since you are still having trouble pinpointing maybe try a screwdriver to probe for the target.Just my opinion also try in the future to get some kind of pin pointer I won't specify any brand as it will get everyone saying how the brand they use is better but they really do cut down on digging time.One other thing you could do is get the sniper coil it will put you right on the target also you can get up closer to metal fence posts and playground equipment.I use the same detector you use and the sniper changed my pinpointing for the better it also gets more depth.

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a wonderful hunt!

Don't fret if there's nothing "exotic". You're in good company as 99.9 percent of all finds are not exotic. :)

WTG!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt...the truck is solid!
Take a closer look at the knife, any markings on it? The reason I ask, I found one just like it, but it turns out, it was an advertising piece, it was a letter opener, with type set markings along the edge...

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent hunt,, it may take a little more time to understand what the PRO is telling you but you will get the hang of it.
Funny you might mention "Buried Mason Jars" that were full of silver. During your grandma's youth, the USA was in the grips of the Great Depression. Banks failed all over and many people started hoarding. Because of a great distrust of banks, they would hide or bury what little money they had. It is said, that if a farmer buried his hoard, he would pick a spot that could be seen from the main room in the house. It would also be near a large or obvious landmark. Usually a fence post, big boulder, or huge tree.
Good luck with the search.

Last edited:

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt! I also have the at gold and love the machine. I keep my discrimination at 13. I used to run it a lot higher but i found that it was discriminating out good tones next to iron. Keep an ear out for those high tones and good luck

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Never be embarrassed to show your finds. You should see some of my post! You are doing great!

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn good for first-time out congrats

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to t-net. That tootsie truck is an excellent find. Congratulations getting your coil over that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread