2010 denver minted dime

Jackieb97306

Jul 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dime itself looks normal except it is a hair smaller around and thinner than other dimes I have! What does that mean? Is it worth more? 14698216613591615505338.jpg 14698216613591615505338.jpg

Upvote 1

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
According to my screen, the two dimes are the same size. When you say "a hair", just how much (or little) are you talking here?

As for the thickness, how are you measuring? According to the outer rim of the coin using calipers? Or from identical center points of the coin, using micrometers? The thickness of the rim can vary from coin to coin, especially due to use. It's not unusual, especially in cents, to find newer coins (2005 and newer) that have no rim at all. This isn't an error or a defect - it's wear caused by machines - counters, sorters, gumball, laundromat, etc, etc, etc. The more a coin gets run through some machines, the more wear the machines cause on the coins - especially to the rims.

OP
OP
J

Jackieb97306

Jul 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to my screen, the two dimes are the same size. When you say "a hair", just how much (or little) are you talking here?

As for the thickness, how are you measuring? According to the outer rim of the coin using calipers? Or from identical center points of the coin, using micrometers? The thickness of the rim can vary from coin to coin, especially due to use. It's not unusual, especially in cents, to find newer coins (2005 and newer) that have no rim at all. This isn't an error or a defect - it's wear caused by machines - counters, sorters, gumball, laundromat, etc, etc, etc. The more a coin gets run through some machines, the more wear the machines cause on the coins - especially to the rims.
The dime has no wear marks, it's in exellent condition! I put the dime on top of other dimes and it is slightly smaller than all the other dimes!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
As a child, I found a nickle when I was coin roll hunting in the 1970's. Both sides was tails! I was super exicted and called my dad while he was at work and told him about it. He told me to stay calm and that he would check it out after work. He came home and sandwiched the nickle in with a bunch of others and showed me that it was smaller in diameter than a real nickle.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The dime has no wear marks, it's in exellent condition! I put the dime on top of other dimes and it is slightly smaller than all the other dimes!

The Dime may have been struck on thinner than normal Dime Planchet Stock which happens from time to time. Most have no real premium above a normal Dime unless they are severely underweight. If so, then an assessment needs to made as to whether it was struck on thinner than normal Dime Planchet Stock or struck on a Foreign Coin Planchet.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
As a child, I found a nickel when I was coin roll hunting in the 1970's. Both sides was tails! I was super exicted and called my dad while he was at work and told him about it. He told me to stay calm and that he would check it out after work. He came home and sandwiched the nickel in with a bunch of others and showed me that it was smaller in diameter than a real nickel.

What happened to the Nickel? Was it a slice job where the Obverses of two Nickels were sliced off and then the two Reverses were glued or soldered together??!!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread