Fun Hunt! Connecticut Copper, Intact Cufflinks, Button and Colonial Signet Ring!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I just finished a very short, hour long hunt, I left early due to the heat and bugs! I had not been to this location in a over a month, because I was sure I had hunted it out. Anyways, I noticed the stream had dried up, and figured it would be quite a nice place to check. One small section of the stream is always full of pottery, black glass, and more. I always am able to pull a button or two from there with some careful hunting, though, it is extremely muddy. I checked the stream, and where the colonial era trash dump, as usual there were tons of signals. With some careful listening I was able to hear through the iron, and located a beautiful set of brass cuff links. Next I found a nice colonial button, a few feet away I located a nice colonial button. Shortly after I heard a nice high 80s on my metal detector. I retrieved my first Connecticut Copper! The detail is nice, and I assume after cleaning it will look great. There is a small hole in the middle, perhaps a planchet error or something else. I have no clue what variety this coin is, any help would be great! Shortly after, I heard a small signal and recovered a very nice, what I believe to be, a brass signet ring (missing the seal, or stone). All these finds were in a general 5 foot muddy stretch in the stream of pottery and black glass, if I dig a lot I would not be surprised to find bottles and more buttons and coins!

DSC_0017.JPG DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0025.JPG

Going to try to take better photos once everything is cleaned up!

Last edited:
Upvote 12
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The year is 1787, in case you were wondering. Also, I can't find any from that year with the "ET" on the left side of the seated figure. Also, It appears to be a mailed bust.

Last edited:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt and finds . IMHO looks like bad news with that gaping wound ... ID of variety of the CT copper will be a challenge even to the best of them.... still a keeper wish I dug it up .

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; About the hole. It appears to have been a Punched hole that eroded a bit more over time in the water. They would punch a hole in their coins and place them on a string they usually wore around their neck or in their pants pocket. Now you know the cause of the hole. The hole will Degrade the Coins overall Grading Condition by 2 levels lower. Hence if it is Graded at XF then it's actual Condition Grade would be either Fine or Very Fine ok. PEACE:RONB

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice old copper recovery! Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent finds man. All your finds are killer on this hunt. Great ring to boot!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi; About the hole. It appears to have been a Punched hole that eroded a bit more over time in the water. They would punch a hole in their coins and place them on a string they usually wore around their neck or in their pants pocket. Now you know the cause of the hole. The hole will Degrade the Coins overall Grading Condition by 2 levels lower. Hence if it is Graded at XF then it's actual Condition Grade would be either Fine or Very Fine ok. PEACE:RONB

Thanks for the info! :)

colonialct

Oct 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with coinman123 - Miller 15-F the CONNECT variety.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread